12 month long stay visa for my mum

Hi all, my mom has applied for a contributory parent visa (143) - and has a 4 year wait ahead of her for that. In the meantime she is sitting around bored and we suggested she come for extended holidays while she waits and mind the kids (instead of using after-school care). Now I am looking at the visa options and I'm confused. 

I heard of a visa that offers 12 month visits in 18 month periods - valid for 5 years. What is it called and how do we go about a longer stay visitor visa? Do you apply for the validity of 5 years or is it given out on a case to case basis? The forms she received after enquiring looks no different than the previous round (she has a visitors visa for 3 month visits - valid for 3 years that is almost expired).

Please advise!!

@TeeTMI , can you offer me any insight, please? 😓 

The visa you are referring to is the SC600 visitor visa - which, given the above, is most likely the visa she currently holds. 

You might include a submission relating to the time preferred (including that a 143 is currently being processed), however the period provided (both duration each stay and length of visa) are at the discretion of the Case Officer examining the application.     

Good luck

Thank you so much Tee!