EOI with job offer already

KIkiD

Question

Thanks for this amazing site! I was wondering if anyone could help me. 

My husband has already been offered a job in WA, but now we have to do our EOI. 

Would having a formal and documented offer of work help expedite this process at all?

many thanks. 

2 answers to this question

To Australia there are two distinct ways to get a VISA to live here.

The first way is you are filling a temporary skills gap. While you work in the role the company has time to train a local to do the job. Then you leave Aussie.

The second stream is where they think you are a long term benefit to Australia. Those people get Permanent Residency. 

A Permanent Residency VISA can take a while. Most employers can't keep a job open that long. The government would rather the company fills the job with a temporary migrant. Purely because those VISAs are a lot quicker for the government to process.

So your husband could switch to a temporary visa. He could get that VISA in a few months and start working. The downside is you are not guaranteed of getting Permanent Residency one day. But most people do. It's just another VISA and another set of VISA stress.

Some people on the forum who are confident they will get a Permanent Residency VISA have passed on the job offer, hung around in South Africa until their PR Visa gets approved, then they migrate out and look for a job. That way they know they are moving for life.

It depends on your situation. 

Edited by monsta

On 8/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, KIkiD said:

Thanks for this amazing site! I was wondering if anyone could help me. 

My husband has already been offered a job in WA, but now we have to do our EOI. 

Would having a formal and documented offer of work help expedite this process at all?

many thanks. 

A formal job offer would not generally have any impact on the speed at which a skilled independent visa is processed either at the EOI or visa processing stage.  It is not one of the criteria considered.
You might look at alternative options if your employer needs you to arrive in Australia more urgently.   

Edited by TeeTMI