Take up subclass 190 nomination or wait for subclass 189 invitation

Marcus1986

Hi all

I submitted an EOI last week for Accountant (General) with 85 points. I also ticked the box for NSW nomination for a potential extra 5 points in case needed.

I have just received an invitation from NSW to apply for state nomination/sponsorship. I have 14 days to take up this invitation before the invitation expires.

My questions are as follows:

1) Should I apply for the NSW nomination which would ultimately lead to a subclass 190 visa and a 2 year commitment to stay in NSW before having freedom to live anywhere in Aus? Or should I ignore the NSW invitation for sponsorship and rather take the chance and wait for an invitation to apply for a subclass 189 visa and have the right to live anywhere in Aus?

2) Besides having to live in a nominated state for first two years, are there any other fundamental differences between subclass 189 vs subclass 190?

3) Under a subclass 190 NSW visa are you entitled to live anywhere in NSW (eg in Sydney) or are you forced to live in mandated areas within NSW (eg rural areas)?

4) It is my understanding that once the Visa (190 or 189) is granted you have approx. 12 months in which to enter Australia to activate the visa. Thereafter you are able to leave Australia and have up to 5 years in which to re-enter the country and take up PR. I ask as I would potentially like to live outside Aus for the next 3/4 years and thereafter take up PR. Is this true for both subclass 189 and 190 or am I missing something? 

Many thanks for any and all responses. They are much appreciated.

M

Hello Marcus,

Firstly congratulations on getting 85 points.  I hope you are confident in your ability to claim these points because if you can't then any subsequent SC189 visa application will be refused.  On a SC190 visa there is some wriggle room if your calculated points do not match your EOI claimed points. 

In light of this I would recommend you take the NSW ofer unless you want to live in another state.

In regard to your specific questions:

1) Should I apply for the NSW nomination which would ultimately lead to a subclass 190 visa and a 2 year commitment to stay in NSW before having freedom to live anywhere in Aus? Or should I ignore the NSW invitation for sponsorship and rather take the chance and wait for an invitation to apply for a subclass 189 visa and have the right to live anywhere in Aus?

>>> I suggest you take the current offer as you cannot be sure you will receive a SC189 invite.

2) Besides having to live in a nominated state for first two years, are there any other fundamental differences between subclass 189 vs subclass 190?
>>> None at all.

3) Under a subclass 190 NSW visa are you entitled to live anywhere in NSW (eg in Sydney) or are you forced to live in mandated areas within NSW (eg rural areas)?
>>> Yes.  You can live in any part of NSW including Sydney.

4) It is my understanding that once the Visa (190 or 189) is granted you have approx. 12 months in which to enter Australia to activate the visa. Thereafter you are able to leave Australia and have up to 5 years in which to re-enter the country and take up PR. I ask as I would potentially like to live outside Aus for the next 3/4 years and thereafter take up PR. Is this true for both subclass 189 and 190 or am I missing something? 
>>>  Your understanding above is correct.  It is the same for a SC189 and SC190 visa.

I hope this helps!

Regards

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed response SD_MOA. Much appreciated.

I have a rough estimated timeline as follows:

- 1 Sept 2018- Accept 190 NSW invitation. 

- 30 Nov 2018- Nomination approved by NSW, apply for 190 visa with 90 points. 

- 30 June 2019 - Subclass 190 approved. Given entry date.

- 31 March 2020 - enter Australia to activate visa. Leave Australia soon after. 

- 1 Jan 2024 - enter Australia again and remain and take up PR in NSW. Remain in NSW for 2 years.

- 1 Jan 2028 - time requirement met for Australia citizenship.

Does that sound like it would work?

Regarding my 85 points, am pretty confident here. 

- 8 years positive assessed work experience.

- bachelor degree positive assessed.

- superior English attained

- 31 years old

- skilled spouse with positive English and skills assessments.

Many thanks again all. Really is tough to navigate through all the requirements and little nuances of the process.

M

Looks like a plan, I will have to convince my brother to join me in Aus too.

You are in Cayman Islands, my brother is in Bermuda also a CA. So if you can get 85pts, I am sure he will be at least 80pts.

Ya, money is good in those tax heaven, so rather gather more USD before the start of a new chapter in Aus.

Yep that's the plan. Got the option of going for PR and eventual British citizenship out here over the next few years. However, would like to hedge the bets and have other options if that falls through.

The key to maximise your points seems to try and get your invitation sometime during the window between being under 33 years old and having over 8 years relevant experience. Skilled spouse obviously also adds the extra 5.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 10:29 PM, Marcus1986 said:

- 1 Sept 2018- Accept 190 NSW invitation. 

- 30 Nov 2018- Nomination approved by NSW, apply for 190 visa with 90 points. 

- 30 June 2019 - Subclass 190 approved. Given entry date.

- 31 March 2020 - enter Australia to activate visa. Leave Australia soon after. 

- 1 Jan 2024 - enter Australia again and remain and take up PR in NSW. Remain in NSW for 2 years.

- 1 Jan 2028 - time requirement met for Australia citizenship.

Does that sound like it would work?

The only potential issue with your timeline is the time between when your visa is approved and when you enter - assuming you get a direct grant in June 2019, the time that you have to enter Australia will be 1 year from when you did your PCC or your medicals, whichever is earlier, and so it could be as early as November 2018 if you did those tests then. But as long as you're ready for a quick holiday here earlier than March 2020 you'll be fine.

Hi Tntaglia

Thanks very much for the response.

Ended up applying for the NSW State Nomination for 190 visa. However, there ended up being an error with the credit card payment section of their website. So instead, they sent an invoice via email which had to be paid within another 2 weeks. Then, a few days later, received an invitation to apply for the Subclass 189 visa. So will likely let the NSW nomination lapse and pursue the S189 visa instead. This would also save approx. A$300 fee for the nomination.

Thanks for the heads up about the health and police checks. Will def keep that in mind and try to delay obtaining these until later on in the process.

Thanks again