Hit me with your best clothes shopping advice please!

Tntaglia

We've been here almost 5 months now, settling in nicely and getting to know all things Australian. However the one bit that we have not even touched yet is clothes shopping (for the adults, at least, the kids managed to have growth spurts right after arriving so we hit Target hard!) It's a bit overwhelming to be honest, so many brands and it seems expensive and I don't understand the sizing etc. 

So, where do you all shop for adult clothes? I'm looking for a reasonable balance between cost and quality, not super high end fashion stuff, just the type of clothes you would buy at Woolworths / Edgars / Foschini in SA. And how do the sizes compare?

Oh, also, short of having my feet measured at a shoe shop (which I'll do when I really have to go shoe shopping) is there an easy way to know what shoe sizes here are in SA terms?

I was a size 4 shoe in RSA and a ladies 6 here, so it seems two sizes up in ladies, men's shoe sizes remain the same.

I love shopping at K-Mart for many things including clothes, cheap and not the best quality but....  I also enjoy op shopping! 

I personally hate shopping for clothes and avoid it as far as possible. I would prefer to buy higher quality items but far less. I don’t shop according to trends and have no clue what’s in or out of fashion. I like the quality of trenery and country road but the prices are high and the styles are a bit frumpy in my opinion. 

Are you looking for casual or work clothes?

I was a 4-4,5 shoe size in SA, so 6-6,5 here (or 37 European). For clothes,  I found the Trenery/Country Road/Witchery sizes the same as in SA, so it was rather easy - I actually shop on line as I know my sizes in these brands so I trust what I get. Seed is also good, and Cue for business wear (it's reasonably better tailored than other brands). Almost forgot, Zara too will also be the same sizes as in SA.

It depends where you work, or how you work. I have a Myer One card and Myer sells most brands. Their ‘plain Jane’ brand is Piper and I like their plain T’s. Also Jag jeans when on special. Actually, please never pay full price for anything in Myer!

i also have a Flybuys card for earning points in Coles, and linked to things like insurance, Medibank, eBay and plenty of other places. Once or twice a year I convert my points to Flybuys dollars and go in & buy a few items at Kmart or Target. You use your Flybuys card in place of a bank card. Works well. You need to call them first and get a pin number. 

For cheap and cheerful tops and 3/4 stretchy denims, (more age 35+) look in Millers & Rockman’s.  Socks from Coles 😎 I like undies from Best & Less tbh, cotton, cheap and roomy, but reasonable quality haha!  H&M always worth a look but don’t expect things to last more than a season or so. Good for guys chinos.

For men Connor has good deals, if your man is tall & slim Target stuff won’t work, try Industrie. If he needs hi-vis work gear Lowes is best. 

The above are mostly bargain-type options. If you like spending a bit more head to David Jones for Country Road & Seed, etc. 

A reasonable middle of the road between your Target and County Road is Sussans or Sportsgirl, their sister shop.

Sandbags for handbags, shoes...trawl the mall & compare many prices, before you part with cash. Joanne Mercer is often good for work shoes.

As for sizing, I find it completely random. Bought an XS teeshirt last week along with a buttoned collar shirt in a (pretty tight) size 12. I never buy online & always try on.

Actually trawl the mall AND then your closest harbour town for the cheaper versions.

Edited by Bonny

What a lot of locals do is they know the sales come at the same time each year. When I first arrived here, locals told me "never pay full price for anything". Been finding bargains ever since. 

The downside is the winter sales are all over now. It was warmer than expected this year's so the sales were really good.

Unfortunately the next sales season is from boxing day onwards. But you might even get a few stores trying to get in early and start discounting in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

These are all great - thank you!