Occupational therapist

Roxanne

Hello dear reader, 

I'm an OT, and I've submitted my application for the stage 1 OT assessment with the OTC. 

While I wait to hear from the OTC, I was hoping to hear from other occupational therapists who have migrated - what has practicing OT been like in Aus compared to SA, did you struggle to find a job, etc. etc...

Any feedback, input or food for thought would be much appreciated! 

My son’s wife graduated as an OT in 2011 and got a job working for the Victorian state government Health Department in a big country town on the River Murray, an hour’s drive from Mildura. 

She absolutely loved the two years working for the Vic gov’t, but ended up coming back to Adelaide to carry on the relationship with my son, working as an OT in an inner suburb of Adelaide. 

That experience, working for a private health company seconded to the South Australian government, was not an enjoyable experience as she felt under too much pressure to just push the customers through like a sausage machine, making the most income for the company, rather than taking her time to give people what they really needed like while working for the Victorian gov’t Health Dept. 

She eventually resigned her job after two years with the company in Adelaide and hasn’t done OT since. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2018 at 11:26 PM, Roxanne said:

Hello dear reader, 

I'm an OT, and I've submitted my application for the stage 1 OT assessment with the OTC. 

While I wait to hear from the OTC, I was hoping to hear from other occupational therapists who have migrated - what has practicing OT been like in Aus compared to SA, did you struggle to find a job, etc. etc...

Any feedback, input or food for thought would be much appreciated! 

Hi Roxanne, I’m also trying to register as an OT. How did your process go?