Skills assessment confusion

Jelly

Hi all

I am a bit confused with the skills assessments.

My wife will be the main applicant on our 189 application, so she will need a skills assessment. We want to claim the 5 partner points, so I also need a skills assessment. (We are both on the skills list).

My confusion is surrounding the Skills Assessment vs Skilled Employment Assessment.

What is the difference between the 2, and would either my wife or I need to get this?

Thanks

Jelly

Hi Jelly

Some of the skills assessment bodies provide the option to provide a skills assessment based on your qualifications (depending upon the occupation different assessment bodies may also require you to show some work experience details towards a basic skills assessment).  Some also offer the option to in addition to providing a skills assessment to also comment on the number of years they consider you to have worked in the nominated occupation at the appropriate level.  For example, you don't provide your occupations but Skilled Employment Assessment would be the term used by e.g. the Accounting profession assessors to examine your claims of 'skilled employment'.  Note that the options available, and the wording can vary across the different assessment authorities.

Depending upon the circumstances it sometimes (not always) can be useful to have the main applicants employment assessed.  

To claim 'Partner Points' you, other than if required for the skills assessment you do not need to provide evidence of employment. . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeTMI said:

Hi Jelly

Some of the skills assessment bodies provide the option to provide a skills assessment based on your qualifications (depending upon the occupation different assessment bodies may also require you to show some work experience details towards a basic skills assessment).  Some also offer the option to in addition to providing a skills assessment to also comment on the number of years they consider you to have worked in the nominated occupation at the appropriate level.  For example, you don't provide your occupations but Skilled Employment Assessment would be the term used by e.g. the Accounting profession assessors to examine your claims of 'skilled employment'.  Note that the options available, and the wording can vary across the different assessment authorities.

Depending upon the circumstances it sometimes (not always) can be useful to have the main applicants employment assessed.  

To claim 'Partner Points' you, other than if required for the skills assessment you do not need to provide evidence of employment. . 

Yes - my occupation is accounting and I've seen mention of Skilled Employment Assessment on the CAANZ site.

Thank you for providing some clarity :) 

Does my wife need to get her skilled employment assessed in order to claim the Skilled Employment points for visa purposes? Or can those points be claimed by providing employment contracts, references, payslips, etc?

If applying for a 189 - as per your original post, then the Primary Applicant must obtain a positive skills assessment to proceed.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Good day 

I have found the above thread useful, I would however like to have clarity on the following:

We are applying for a 190 visa under my husband's skill (as we will be able to get the most points with his skills) and he is doing a Full Skills Assessment, however I am a registered Chartered Accountant and would like to know that because both of us are on the list for the 190 visa, can we claim the 5 points for the secondary applicants skill? And if so, do I need to do a Full (permanent) skills assessment with Chartered Accountants Australia / New Zealand?

Thank you

Hello NTH,

As long as you are under 45 years old, have a positive full permanent skills assessment in an occupation on the same list as your husband (Accountant is on the MLTSSL so that is fine) and have at least competent English (you will need proficient English for the skills assessment anyway) then you should be able to claim partner points.

I hope this helps!

Regards

• Like 1