Chrispy

South African passport renewal from Adelaide: Fingerprints

Chrispy

Has anyone done South African passports from Adelaide recently?  I am a bit confused with how to get the fingerprints done.  As I understand, fingerprinting done at the  police stations in Adelaide are electronic, onto a card at a cost of $120 per person.  According to the South African High Commission in Canberra the fingerprints must be done in ink on the DHA-9 form.  Anyone had this done in Adelaide, at which police station & how much do they charge? 

Thanks.

TracyK

In South Africa they are also digital now, no more ink.

new2forum

good morning. I have had my fair share of experience with this. Even though in SA they use digital - if you do it via the embassy it MUST be done via ink. You have to mention to the police officer that ink is mandatory – regardless of what the form says. Here in Sydney, ink prints are about $40 at the police station.

You’re wasting your $120 if you do it electronically here, it will be sent back by the embassy.

If you’re able to – why not renew your passport in SA?

Even though I queued for about 5 hours at the home affairs office – I got my SA passport in 5 working days . Compared to 8+ months via the embassy! Ten years ago I did it via ink, in January this year, I went to SA to get it renewed.

monsta

I just did I ink fingerprints in Sydney and it was free. Just had to give them a reason why I needed them. 

Our biggest issue was finding a police station willing to to do ink fingerprints.

But, alas, it might cost in other states.

new2forum

$44 "personal use" thats what they charged me. The electronic ones were free but they charged me for ink. alas, different rules apply depending on the officers. 

Chrispy

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately it seems that the Adelaide police stations charge $130 whether it is electronic or ink fingerprints.  We have to get our passports here since they are expiring & our 18yr old daughter needs to now do fingerprints as well so looking at $390 for fingerprints at the moment!  Can’t understand why Justice of Peace can’t do it since that is a free service offered here in Adelaide.   Anyone out there got fingerprints done in the Adelaide area -  or even out of the city for less?  It might be worth driving out of town.  

new2forum

all the best - the embassy stipulate it be done by the police

Bretty2
On 8/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, Chrispy said:

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately it seems that the Adelaide police stations charge $130 whether it is electronic or ink fingerprints.  We have to get our passports here since they are expiring & our 18yr old daughter needs to now do fingerprints as well so looking at $390 for fingerprints at the moment!  Can’t understand why Justice of Peace can’t do it since that is a free service offered here in Adelaide.   Anyone out there got fingerprints done in the Adelaide area -  or even out of the city for less?  It might be worth driving out of town.  

Hi Chrispy, did you manage to get your fingerprints done? I have been trying to do mine but keep getting chased away at the Port Adelaide police station due to fingerprinting area being in the cells so when they have a prisoner in there its a no-go area. Have been trying all week.