Visa options

LookingAlittle

Question

Hi all

I have a few questions that I would really appreciate some clarity on. We know it is better to get a 189 or 190 but we are quite eager to get to Australia and from there try to get a PR visa. 

1, Do you need a agent if you are applying for 482 Visa?

2. Can you apply for a 482 Visa and at he same time the 189 or can you only apply after you get the 482?

3. Or apply for a 482 and when in Australia then apply for a 186?

Then main reason that we are looking to go the 482 route is that you can time when you can go to Australia better as my daughter is turning 5 at the end of the year and we don't what her to start school in SA and then have to move half way through the year, we would rather bite the bullet go on a 482 and from Aus try and get a PR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

As far as I know you don’t have to have any agent for any type of visa but it depends on the complicated nature of your application. 

Children especially young ones adapt really quickly. IMHO go for the visa that gives you PR sooner. It will make your life so much easier than having to apply again. 

I’ve looked but can’t seem to find the processing times for a 482. Is it significantly shorter than a 189/190?

i think you can apply for two visas at once but it’s risky as you can only have one approved visa and the one that is approved second will rule out the first if you don’t cancel it. @Tntaglia might know as she had two visa applications running at the same time. 

10 hours ago, LookingAlittle said:

1, Do you need a agent if you are applying for 482 Visa?

You can choose whether or not to have an agent to assist applying for a 482.

On 7/26/2018 at 7:41 AM, TamTam said:

As far as I know you don’t have to have any agent for any type of visa but it depends on the complicated nature of your application. 

Children especially young ones adapt really quickly. IMHO go for the visa that gives you PR sooner. It will make your life so much easier than having to apply again. 

I’ve looked but can’t seem to find the processing times for a 482. Is it significantly shorter than a 189/190?

i think you can apply for two visas at once but it’s risky as you can only have one approved visa and the one that is approved second will rule out the first if you don’t cancel it. @Tntaglia might know as she had two visa applications running at the same time. 

I had two visa applications running at the same time (457, i.e. previous version of the 482, and a 190). The 457 came through late Feb, and the 190 about 2 months later, we arrived in Australia between the two dates. You are 100% allowed to do it but like TamTam said the biggest risk is that you end up getting the one you really want first and then the other one overrules it. In fact when the 457 was approved the notification said that we should remember to cancel other visa applications if we don't want this approval to be overruled. It should be a really quick process to cancel the 482 application if somehow that doesn't get approved first, but from my understanding of the timelines you have a great chance that that one happens first.

The other advantage is that as soon as you've applied for a PR visa you are eligible for Medicare, even if it hasn't been approved yet. So you can get different healthcare and don't have to pay for bulk billed medical stuff.

But I also agree with TamTam, don't worry too much about kids timing. They adapt. Go for the right visa based on all your other circumstances, and just get here.