Brisbane Utilties - the good, the bad and the ugly

TamTam

Hi Brisbanites

Are there any utility providers (gas, electricity and broadband) who you have had particularly good / bad experiences with?

Thanks

Our NBN (FTTP) is with TPG - they have been fine, would have preferred a better online management interface but can't complain about their service.

Our Electricity/Gas is with AGL - brilliant website and app, can't complain

• Like 1

Cool we are probably going to go with AGL as well. Unfortunate NBN hasn’t been rolled out in our new suburb but there is a Telstra cable installed so will likely go with them. 

hi, we have AGL for electricity and gas in Magill, Adelaide.

Any recommendations for internet? Heard there is no fibre in this area yet, only ADSL, your thoughts?

Personally, I'd do your homework when it comes to getting a broadband contract for your particular area.

Telstra (the old Telecom Australia) is an Australia-wide network, but they can charge like wounded bulls for their internet at times. You might find another server just as efficient for half the price, depending on your area. 

The three networks operating in Australia are:

Telstra . . . . good if you live out in the bush as they have the most widespread coverage for reception and 4G speed on average.

Optus . . . . owned  by Singapore Telecom . . . they have the next best network across Australia with many large towns having coverage and having a good 4G network at high speed.

Vodafone . . . . a UK company . . . fine, if you live in a big city or regional centre, but no coverage at all in many areas of Australia. Has 4G.

All the other minor networks . . . . Virgin, TPG, etc . . . . piggy back off one of these three networks.

Talk to a couple of locals to find out what they've run up against.

We're in Victoria, but our experience with AGL over the past two years has been great. Also ask them about their 'pay on time' discounts and set up a direct debit. It could possibly help you to research other suppliers in your area before you phone AGL, and then use the information as leverage to negotiate a better discount! (Everything in Australia is negotiable)

So for the first time round, so to speak, I decided not to research everything to death. I simply don't have the time with a toddler at home. I can only get stuff done at night and during naps. But I made sure to choose options with no penalty cancellations.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 8:19 PM, TamTam said:

So for the first time round, so to speak, I decided not to research everything to death. I simply don't have the time with a toddler at home. I can only get stuff done at night and during naps. But I made sure to choose options with no penalty cancellations.

Good choice!