482 and 189 visa concurrently?

Hi guys,

Need some advice please. So I've submitted EOI for myself, partner and her daughter in June. Daughter will finish matric next year in SA first before moving over permanently.

Now I've had an offer from our offices in Brisbane: They are willing to somehow fast-track and pay for a 482 visa and they want me there ASAP. Since my 189 is already in the EOI queue, will it change anything if I now do a 482 with only me and my partner for now, and then wait for 189 before bringing daughter over?

Also, I see 2 disadvantages of the 482 at the moment, do you guys know of any more that I am not aware of?

1. No medicare

2. You pay more taxes on income

3. Any complications with drivers license, renting, bank accounts, tax registration etc if you don't have PR??

Thanks!

I cant answer about the visas, but

1.  No medicare:  You can get relatively cheap private health insurance.  The only problem is that all doctors visits will be out of pocket.  Extras would have been out of pocket with medicare anyhow. 

2.  I do not think you pay more taxes.  (I hope I am right!)  There is something defined as a resident for tax purposes and that is not the same as being a permanent resident.  It basically means you live in Australia and as I understand all residents for tax purposes (PR, citizens and temporary visas) pay the same tax.  In fact you would pay a little bit less tax because you do not pay a medicare levy, since you do not get medicare benefits. 

3.  No complications with any of those without PR.  The only issue is that you would struggle a bit more to have points when you need 100 points to prove your identification, since medicare cards help for this.   You should be fine.  For a drivers' licence your South African licence is valid until 6 months after you get PR.  So being on a 482 visa means your South African licence is valid as long as you are here (and it has not expired, so make sure you come with a renewed license). 

If the company wants to move you negotiate plane tickets and moving costs and then you would be better off than most people who come with 189 since they need to pay all those costs plus living costs while looking for a job.

Your daughter would pay more in university fees if you do not have PR. 

Edited by FromDurbs
  • Like 1

Hello Ed,

It is quite common for people to be on a SC482/457 visa with a SC189/190 application in the pipeline.  It will be fine to only include your wife's daughter as a migrating dependent on the SC189/190 application but make sure you include her as a non-migrating dependent on the SC482 visa.  The biggest downside of the SC482 is that you are bound to your sponsoring employer so if the work relationship turns sour you either need to find another sponsor, another visa or leave the country.

But as the post above states it could work in your benefit.

• Like 2

Hi Ed,

I stand to be corrected here, but if your 482 visa is issued first and you are already in Australia and you then receive your invitation to apply for the 189 and submit your application you will receive a bridging visa which then allows you to get medicare etc.

It also means if you will no longer be tied to your employer.

I would double check this though just to be sure.

• Like 1

Hello Duggen,

I am afraid I will have to correct you.  If someone is in Australia on a 482 (or any other visa) and they apply for a different onshore visa they will be granted a bridging visa BUT the bridging visa will only come into effect if the initial substantive visa (the 482 in this case) expires.  Until the SC482 expires (or the SC189/190 is granted) the applicant will remain on that visa and be bound by those conditions.  If the person stops working for the 482 sponsor then s/he will be in breach of the 482 conditions and the 482 can be cancelled.  If the SC482 visa is cancelled then the bridging visa is cancelled as well and the person will become unlawful.   So in short don't do that!

I hope this helps!

Regards

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SD_MOA said:

Hello Duggen,

I am afraid I will have to correct you.  If someone is in Australia on a 482 (or any other visa) and they apply for a different onshore visa they will be granted a bridging visa BUT the bridging visa will only come into effect if the initial substantive visa (the 482 in this case) expires.  Until the SC482 expires (or the SC189/190 is granted) the applicant will remain on that visa and be bound by those conditions.  If the person stops working for the 482 sponsor then s/he will be in breach of the 482 conditions and the 482 can be cancelled.  If the SC482 visa is cancelled then the bridging visa is cancelled as well and the person will become unlawful.   So in short don't do that!

I hope this helps!

Regards

Thanks for clearing that up.

On 7/19/2018 at 9:10 AM, Duggen said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem :)