SARS Income Tax Address Details

Mauro

Hi,

We have recently moved to Australia on a PR Visa and are busy completing our SA tax forms. I see that our tax forms on eFiling still have our South African Address and contact details and I was wondering if we should: 

1. Update them with our Australian details
  2. Update them to a relative in SA
  3. Just leave the address as it currently is 

My concern is that if we change it we may have to provide proof of this and it may be difficult from here, so I'm leaning towards option 3?

Mauro, an interesting dilemma! You may indeed be called to submit proof, but not necessarily by physical attendance at a SARS office. My non-resident clients can upload in most cases. they create a query letter and if you click on eFile it allows you to upload to the letter (if I can explain it in that way)

Not doing it could trigger a huge penalty. 

You can use a SA agent's address but then you have to formally appoint said person as your tax agent - so be very careful

I also suggest that you ensure the Oz address per SA bank (CRS update) and the SARS physical address align

With CRS and FATCA exchange of information you at risk of being caught out. Currently SARS has not correctly published the fixed fee penalties for failure to submit the correct address, yet its a matter of time before it happens 

In less than 30% of the address change cases, did SARS insist on a visit. Online changes are becoming the norm and we can no also register for VAT online - things are changing for the better

Thanks for the reply Hugo. So if I understand correctly, it would be better to update my details to reflect my Australian Address? I would then also need to ensure that my bank in South Africa has my Australian address, so that all the information lines up?

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2018 at 1:16 AM, Mauro said:

Thanks for the reply Hugo. So if I understand correctly, it would be better to update my details to reflect my Australian Address? I would then also need to ensure that my bank in South Africa has my Australian address, so that all the information lines up?

Indeed