Landed! Parent support group.

Elna57

We are finally in Australia. What now? 

It can be very difficult finding one's way and we do not want to disrupt our children's lives too much with endless questions.

Any questions or discussions for older immigrants.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I found the facebook groups for my area to be really helpful. I'm not sure where you live but there are FB groups for South Africans living in Sydney, South Africans living in the Hills district, and just generally the Aussiekaners etc. FB groups. Mostly comprising people who have gone through this. I am also active on just general parenting groups on FB in my area and have received loads of great advice and tips from there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tntaglia said:

I found the facebook groups for my area to be really helpful. I'm not sure where you live but there are FB groups for South Africans living in Sydney, South Africans living in the Hills district, and just generally the Aussiekaners etc. FB groups. Mostly comprising people who have gone through this. I am also active on just general parenting groups on FB in my area and have received loads of great advice and tips from there.

@Tntaglia I have found the same. Most groups are very friendly and keen to assist with anything. I have so far, found all casual jobs that I have done and am still doing through facebooks groups. It is really great.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for doing this Elna although I am away from getting my visa grant being on the 173 my processing will be a lot quicker so will be popping in here and getting some tips for "D" day.  I have taken away so much from the other sites I feel so much more comfortable that I know what I am meant to be doing. I am flying this whole process solo! 

Once I am there even though I will be living with my family it will be nice to keep in touch and also find out what us "oldies" need to do i.e applying for driving licenses, getting medicare cards, applying for senior cards (that is still another year or two).

Be good to also get some tips for interviews at our age - our questions will be completely different like we probably will not be asked "where do you see yourself in 10 years time!" haha.

Hope you well settled.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2018 at 12:17 AM, Maz said:

Thanks for doing this Elna although I am away from getting my visa grant being on the 173 my processing will be a lot quicker so will be popping in here and getting some tips for "D" day.  I have taken away so much from the other sites I feel so much more comfortable that I know what I am meant to be doing. I am flying this whole process solo! 

Once I am there even though I will be living with my family it will be nice to keep in touch and also find out what us "oldies" need to do i.e applying for driving licenses, getting medicare cards, applying for senior cards (that is still another year or two).

Be good to also get some tips for interviews at our age - our questions will be completely different like we probably will not be asked "where do you see yourself in 10 years time!" haha.

Hope you well settled.

Hahahaha. I think I know the answer to the question of where I see myself in 10 years time already. 😆

I have been keeping busy doing sewing and cleaning houses for other people. Also worked in a café and absolutely loved it. 

It is quite hectic here in Brisbane. Always things to do and see for free.

I would really love to do more networking but it is hard to balance work and social life.

Once one has all the licenses and medicare cards and bank accounts sorted as well as tax numbers etc., life throws some more to do's in one's inbox. Like SA tax returns and Aus tax returns. Well, we finally did both and are now looking for work again. 

Changing one's cover letter and resume for each particular job takes a lot of time but has to be done.

Apart from all that, life in Brisbane is good. The weather is good and most people are good and friendly.

I am hoping to see some of our room mates join this thread once the get to Aus and also hoping to meet some. 

Have a great afternoon folks!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Maz Now this came as a complete shock to me! I have been getting so much love and support by joining a Group called ..........wait for it..........!! Backpackers!!!! 😄 They do not care how old one is, do not give a hoot about social status or anything. They just want to help and are such nice young people. Their enthusiasm is overwhelming at times but also such an inspiration.

• Like 2

@Bonny  Welcome. Are you here already or still waiting for your visa?

On 11/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, Elna57 said:

@Bonny  Welcome. Are you here already or still waiting for your visa?

Hi Elna been here 12 years 😸

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

Just checking in to see how you all are. 

@Bonny That is a long time! 

Soon, in February, we will have been here for a year. 

How time flies!

@Maz Hang in there buddy! It is a long and lonely process but being near one's children is so worth the wait.

• Thanks 1

Any questions or concerns? 

I will try to get some of our recent visa granted parents to post here as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a rollercoaster ride this has been! I have done courses and jobs that I would never have done or even consider doing back in South Africa.

I have cried and laughed with fellow South Africans but only laughed with Aussies. They do not cry.... EVER!!

They get up and get going.  They help where they can and will go the extra mile. 

My advice to any parents moving over... do NOT isolate yourselves. Do not try to stick with only ex SAs. Mix, mingle, make connections even when they seem to avoid eye contact, Aussies are a really nice kind of people once you get to know them.  

It is not easy for us older folks to find jobs over here, but it is possible. We just have to do what we have to do.

I have a couple of cleaning jobs at the moment and I love it.

I am about to do an all free course in Hospitality offered by Queensland government where we reside and am all excited about it. New knowledge to learn about my new home country. After all, I am an Aussie now.  Having an interview on Monday for a job that pays $20 per hour but ever so grateful for just making it to that stage.

At my age, it is hard to get excited about anything, but I am soooo ready and willing to do this!!  To get off my backside and just get on with it, whatever IT is. 

Will keep you updated folks. (If I have time. 😅)

• Like 2

@Elna57  Wow!! Your sheet has brought back some memories looking at it and seeing all the names.  All those nights I would work the dates in various ways in hope that somehow with me doing that it would bring the time closer, that call, the final email!!! I remember we also decided to add our information to our signature section, so all the missing info for me on your list actually comes up at the bottom of my notes.

I'm still looking for work, but boy am I happy here!! It's the most beautiful place this, the beaches, people are incredible..... I cannot get over the color of the water, amazing!!! 

It's interesting how we process all these changes... I was just so eager for them to call for the interview, then it was to pay the money, the shipping container, my little baby dogs,  then the visa, the air ticket, saying the goodbyes.  I used to sit until all hours of the morning thinking, worrying, planning.......... Then once I arrived here then I started, medical aid, driving license, bank accounts, car, insurance!!!  I waited for my container to arrive, once that happened I started wishing for a job to come up.  The job kind of links to work = money = own place to stay = social life = first holiday!!!!  I enrolled in different training courses to help me pass the time.......

I have all these things and many other not mentioned on a long list which started in Feb 2015 and it's now 2019 and I am still ticking off slowly as the month's pass.  I have realized that each step seems to have some sort of emotion/feeling, that the other didn't have. It's crazy, like menopause - I'm up and down like a yo-yo!!! My son understands and often when we talk he will reflect on the time years ago when they did the same journey!! And add his story!!!

It's a long and emotional road, but so incredibly worth it, I wouldn't change it for anything!!!

Everyone out there still waiting, little by little the time grew as the time passed - when I started the wait was 18 months, I finally got my visa after 3 years and five months!!!! You will go through ups and downs, life does change, things do happen but just remember that in the end when you finally arrive here it's the best feeling ever!!!!!

Good luck to all of you!!!!!!

😌🤑👹😲😁........ and many many more!!!!!!!

• Like 3

@Elza Thank you so much for your post. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Finally got "the email" to provide docs....please keep me a space in here not long and I will be in here permanently and not just peeking through the window :)

• 1 month later...

@Maz Keeping fingers and toes crossed. It should not be too long for you. You applied for 173, right?

Yes I did in a way I am so glad I did so I can actually be living a life in Australia whilst waiting for AOS so it doesn't matter how long they take as long as its before my 2 years are up - I will be doing the switch as soon as I land and activated the visa for 173.

I thought I would just pop in and say hi and also ask how those that have already started living their dream how is the job situation like for our age group (I'm 59).

I know I don't want a stressful 9-5 job 5 days a week so are there a lot of part time work for us? Are they easy to find - My daughter told me not to bother with Seek ideally I would love a part time job working in reception in a medical capacity (I currently work in a cancer hospital as a PA).

What are you all doing?

@Maz Me myself and I clean houses! It keeps me fit and active. In between I am doing a course in Hospitality (Food and Beverage attendant) to become exactly that. I worked for an ex SA lady for about 5 months and absolutely loved it. So, this is why I decided to do this course. We are doing industry training at a 5 star hotel right now and although it is HARD work, I absolutely love it. It is in an outdoor setting with stunning views which makes the whole experience even better. The staff members are super helpful and supportive.

Medical reception always in demand BUT you will probably have to ask to volunteer somewhere for a while to learn the computer systems here. Pracsoft is one for example. All doctors use different software and because of Aus Healthcare system there are many rules and regulations as to who gets charged what. It is not TOO involved but still something that you will have to be taught. But is is absolutely possible if you could get a foot in the door at a local doctor or clinic willing to train you in return for voluntary services. I know all this because I did a course in medical reception myself and am happy to share all my course handbooks with you. They are all paper though which could be a costly exercise to courier to you. My main point is to learn the different software packages and the different billing options for eg. Bulk billing, private medical insurance, Veterans etc.

I did not pursue this career path because I am not one to sit in an office all day. I need to be up and running and happy, energetic and the receptionists that I have met so far (2) were anything BUT friendly, welcoming or passionate. They made me feel unwelcome and a nuisance. That is just my own personal experience. Please do not take just my word for it.

That is it in a nutshell. (A very BIG nut😆)

But if you are willing to learn or open to do any kind of work, yes, it absolutely is possible to work and get paid pretty good money for it.

• Like 1

@Elna57I really appreciate any tips no matter whether positive or negative. Thank you very much. My son-in-law has offered to create a job for me at a company he is Manager of but I will be living with him I think working too as much as he loves me and vice versa it may be too much so rather try and go out on my own. I am quite the risk taker - I moved from SA to UK when I was 45! I had only worked for 1 company in Durban my whole life (23 years) so for me to come to the UK and start all over again was an adventure but I feel as I get older there may not be many options for an old tannie like me

Edited by Maz

@Maz Aussie experience is a huge deal over here, so ABSOLUTELY, go work for him for the time being until you find your perfect job. That is like a piece of gold on your resume. My few months at that little cafe is so precious and has opened many doors, even to cleaning jobs. UK references could perhaps be worth way more than SA ones, but I would say, go for it, work with/for him for a while to get that experience on your resume.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elna57 said:

@Maz Aussie experience is a huge deal over here, so ABSOLUTELY, go work for him for the time being until you find your perfect job. That is like a piece of gold on your resume. My few months at that little cafe is so precious and has opened many doors, even to cleaning jobs. UK references could perhaps be worth way more than SA ones, but I would say, go for it, work with/for him for a while to get that experience on your resume.

I completely agree about the local experience.  Two years ago my husband really struggled to find a job when we just got here.  He recently wanted to change jobs, applied for a handful, got invited to 3 interviews within a week and got the first job he interviewed for.  It was completely different to the first time, his qualifications has not changed, he has slightly more relevant experience, but having local references and experience seems to be very important. 

• Like 2

@FromDurbs Thank you very much for sharing. 

In what state are you?

My husband is still battling after a year and I have now forced him to be my cleaning partner. 😅 It is odd for him but he does a good job and it is good experience for him. 

Kindly share any info which in your opinion, could help him i.e. how to 'put himself out there'.