Costs for immigrating..?

LynnS

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie on here and we are right at the beginning of the decision-making process- thank you to everyone for the loads of info shared. 

Please could someone share a breakdown of the estimated costs from start to leaving SA.  This will give us a good idea of what it would cost us to make the move and if it is financially feasible for us.   It would also be very helpful to get an idea of start up costs once we get there.  (We have no idea which city yet.)

Thanks to everyone on advance!

hi @LynnS, this is a quick breakdown: (I am sure someone will give you much more detail)

Migration Agent = R30k

English test, EOI Cost, Visa costs = R80k - R100k

moving -   R80k -R100k for 20 foot container minimum,

flights etc R10 - R15 per person depending on specials  and route you take

some "hidden cost" to consider:

tax on Prov funds when you withdraw

accommodation first 2 -3 weeks when you get there (Airbnb?) (R20k...)
Car rental first week or 2 (R10K??)

2 hours ago, LM17 said:

hi @LynnS, this is a quick breakdown: (I am sure someone will give you much more detail)

Migration Agent = R30k

That's pretty accurate.

We're using a Movecube ar R25k (2.2m x 1.4m x 1.8m). Leaving furniture behind.

Deposit on Rental between R30k & R40k.

Fairly decent used car R80k to R100k.

• Like 1

You can also save the agents fees and do the application yourself - it depends on how straight forward your application is.

• Like 2

A LSD trip is not a have to though. Many have gotten the visas without stepping foot in oz. 

4 hours ago, TamTam said:

A LSD trip is not a have to though. Many have gotten the visas without stepping foot in oz. 

Agreed, we did a LSD and it doesn't do much to prepare a person. Problem with a LSD trip is that you are in holiday mode. You only get a real feel for a place once you live or work there. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vitchie said:

Agreed, we did a LSD and it doesn't do much to prepare a person. Problem with a LSD trip is that you are in holiday mode. You only get a real feel for a place once you live or work there. 

Indeed , Also we did LSD to Melbourne (wasgreat fun) but now I have a job in Sydney; 😉 

On 6/18/2018 at 6:43 PM, LM17 said:

Migration Agent = R30k

Looking at these costs and I'm gasping!  Such a huge difference from when we did it in 2004!  Shocking actaully...  How does anyone even afford it? 

• Like 1

Gulp- my thoughts too.  Doesn't leave very much for a rainy day!

Thank you everyone- we have a much clearer idea of cost now 😉

On 6/24/2018 at 6:28 PM, LynnS said:

Gulp- my thoughts too.  Doesn't leave very much for a rainy day!

Thank you everyone- we have a much clearer idea of cost now 😉

If you spend your very last cent to get here, it is still worth it... 😊 Scary.... but worth it! 👍🏼

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Riekie said:

If you spend your very last cent to get here, it is still worth it... 😊 Scary.... but worth it! 👍🏼

Could not agree more! I'd rather be poor in Aus than rich in South Africa.

• Like 4

Totally agree. I keep telling buddies of mine. If you are thinking of emigrating do it now. Not next year. NOW! Get your butt there. 

Edited by TamTam
  • Like 2

Jip. Our costs were as follows:

Accreditation : 8k

EOI + Application for sponsorship (489) + visa : 80k

Flights: 22k

Airbnb: 10k (20 days) was lucky with that one 

Car rental: 10k (with deposit) 8 days

Shared container : 50k

Initial costs (dep for rental, necessities until container arrive etc): 30k

Car (cheap Holden cruze) : 85k

So yup, we had to spend at least 280k just to get in OZ and start off.

That means I had to use my pension monies to add to my already dwindling savings, but I do it with pleasure for my son's future.

Edited by Sakuya
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sakuya said:

This is either a typo or the most expensive Holden Cruze ever!

• Haha 1

lol @ChrisH 85k in Rand... not dollars. The pre-owned 2010/2011 models at a dealership are around $7000 - $7500 excl. registration and other fees.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrisH said:

This is either a typo or the most expensive Holden Cruze ever!

:lol: I can see you're in $AUD mode already 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:59 PM, Sakuya said:

Jip. Our costs were as follows:

Accreditation : 8k

EOI + Application for sponsorship (489) + visa : 80k

Flights: 22k

Airbnb: 10k (20 days) was lucky with that one 

Car rental: 10k (with deposit) 8 days

Shared container : 50k

Initial costs (dep for rental, necessities until container arrive etc): 30k

So yup, we had to spend at least 280k just to get in OZ and start off.

That means I had to use my pension monies to add to my already dwindling savings, but I do it with pleasure for my son's future.

We may also need to dip into our pension.  Is there any pension assistance when you reach retirement?

• 7 months later...

Ok guys i hear you 200k upwards on relocating ouch. So I am a chef, lots of sponsorship jobs available i see in oz. Do any of these jobs offer to pay your visa? Will they take that risk? I am very qualified. Ive attached my incomplete cv. Visa is probably most important but lots of jobs have accommodation included. I am not broke but I am young 29 years old saving not yet that big? 

Edited by yeschefwesley
Need to notify me

On 2/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, yeschefwesley said:

Ok guys i hear you 200k upwards on relocating ouch. So I am a chef, lots of sponsorship jobs available i see in oz. Do any of these jobs offer to pay your visa? Will they take that risk? I am very qualified. Ive attached my incomplete cv. Visa is probably most important but lots of jobs have accommodation included. I am not broke but I am young 29 years old saving not yet that big? 

It needn't cost nearly that much to migrate.

If you get a sponsored job, generally the sponsoring company pays for the visa, and in many cases the flights and some moving costs. Even if the flights and moving costs aren't covered by the sponsoring company, they should only cost like R15k if you sell everything in SA and and live cheap until you get your first Aus paycheck.

@yeschefwesley remember most of the estimated migration budgets you will see on the forum are for families relocating. If you are still young, single/couple, have no children and do not need to take a whole lot of stuff with you the costs will be substantially lower. My wife and I (also late 20's) are going over soon. Up till now all costs including flights there come to around R100k. We are not taking much with but rather selling what we have this side.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:56 PM, yeschefwesley said:

Chefs is a high risk application/occupation, just have a look if your occupation is on the MLTSSL, if not there is no way to PR.

If someone is willing to sponsor you and go through the 186 ENS then there is a huge waiting list to get PR granted, a lot of the high risk occupations get rejected lately. 😞

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, frosty said:

@yeschefwesley remember most of the estimated migration budgets you will see on the forum are for families relocating. If you are still young, single/couple, have no children and do not need to take a whole lot of stuff with you the costs will be substantially lower. My wife and I (also late 20's) are going over soon. Up till now all costs including flights there come to around R100k. We are not taking much with but rather selling what we have this side.   

Hi Frosty, what agency are you using?