887 Waiting time - 489 time running out

JCM

Question

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the scenario is if I have my 489 visa but only apply for PR via 887 after say 3.5 years and not received my 887 visa yet when my 4 years have passed?

As the waiting period is apparently around 9-12 months for 887 to be safe, it means once you have your 489 visa, you shouldn't sit in SA for longer than another 12 months as you might be in trouble 4 years later...

6 answers to this question

They issue you with a Bridging visa once your 489 expires, while awaiting your 887 grant.

• Like 1

Applied for 887 last year april, granted july and it was really no sweat. Almost immediately I was granted a bridging visa on application for the 887

I've said elsewhere that getting the 887 was a formality if you've abided by all the visa conditions. I've seen so many questions on this forum about trying to wriggle out of the conditions which makes no sense.

Just stick to it and you will be ok

Bear in mind you (and if i recall everyone on your application) need to be on shore (in australia) to apply for the 887. You may need to explore the border website for travel constraints for the bridging and 887 visa in this regard.

1. Am I correct in saying that the Bridging Visa A only comes into effect if your 489 expires while waiting for 887 grant? 
  2. Also, Has anyone moved away from the specified regional post codes having met the 'work 1 year FT, live 2 years' criteria, while waiting for 887 grant? My children have 3 years left of secondary school and I am desperate to have them finish in  a good school in the city, rather out in the sticks where we currently are. 

The Bridging Visa is generally issued once the visa application has been submitted.  The BVA runs in the background 'out of effect' whilst your 489 is valid.  Once the 489 expires then the Bridging Visa comes 'onto effect'.