The Journey

BarrysinOZ

Hi @TakeItOnTheChin yes if you dont mind me asking questions about the region, can i send you a message(s)?

31 minutes ago, RYLC said:

I've been fretting about you missing the birth what with the unpredictability of babies

As i have told people around me cheering us on, I am a working professional, but for me right now at this very moment... becoming a father means more, I dont think i would ever forgive myself if i missed my 1st baby birth. These opportunities may come again, but potentially not being there at that moment can never be recreated. So hopefully we can have baba in Oz, we have emailed the employer just to confirm his previous commitment, and we have emailed Bupa, so if all the stars align then its all systems go.

Leka naweek almal, off to celebrate my big 30!

• Like 1

When you get here I will take you for a beer. In the meantime fire away with any questions

• Like 1

Thoughts of someone who doesn't have kids yet:

I've been reading on this forum for some time now, and I have yet to read anything bad about Australia's birth facilities. Women who have gone to public hospitals and private ones here, have all said it was really good, and their reference was private hospitals in South Africa.

And it's true what people are saying to you that life here is very different when it comes to new mums and what they can and cannot do. Life is so much more free. As soon as physically fit to do so, mothers put their babies in prams and go walking in the public parks (I see them, I walk in parks a lot, off-road prams are a thing!) Pregnant women, even rather late term, are seen in the shops, walking in the streets between shops, out and about.

We have found Australians to be warm, open people, who let you into their groups easily.

And with regards to support in the first few months after birth, remember that either granny could get a tourist visa and visit up to 3months, if that would work for your family setup.

If possible I would strongly recommend that your wife come over as soon as she can, to start up her network here. Having a baby is one of the best times in your life to make new friends, and it would be better if those friends were part of her future rather than more people she would need to leave behind in South Africa.

That said, I wish you all the luck in the world! :D  Go for it!

I moved with two small babies to a different part of South Africa and I stayed with a 4 and 6 year old in New York for a year and I moved with teenage children to Australia and I can say having babies and small children makes it so much easier to integrate into your new place.  There are just so many places where parents of small babies and toddlers get to make friends.  Use that opportunity when you start a new life somewhere else.  (Teenagers are a lot less useful in this regard!)

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, FromDurbs said:

I moved with two small babies to a different part of South Africa and I stayed with a 4 and 6 year old in New York for a year and I moved with teenage children to Australia and I can say having babies and small children makes it so much easier to integrate into your new place.  There are just so many places where parents of small babies and toddlers get to make friends.  Use that opportunity when you start a new life somewhere else.  (Teenagers are a lot less useful in this regard!)

Klink vir my julle dink aan 'n laatlammetjie... :lol:

I am so pleased that you are investigating taking wifey with and having the baby in OZ - please keep us updated - we are all rooting for you!!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 3:35 PM, BarrysinOZ said:

(Alone with a new born baby in a new country is probably not a good idea for the emotions)

On 6/15/2018 at 8:46 AM, TakeItOnTheChin said:

it may be difficult emotionally without family around when baby is born but it may be even more difficult when family has got to know the baby and then have to say goodbye, another emotional obstacle.

What @TakeItOnTheChin said! Honestly, having a baby is life-changing, overwhelming, emotional chaos and moving from relative comfort to a situation without family would be harder than just starting over here without family, in my opinion. You don't know how cold the water is, so you may as well just jump right in.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:39 PM, BarrysinOZ said:

But putting yourself on the back foot from day 1 on a 2yr 457 Visa, not ideal either. 

Look at it another way - the company can't end your contract, because then they might not get that money you owe them back 😋

On 6/14/2018 at 7:15 PM, Ta2Bryan said:

in the end $10k is a small risk on your families future

Absolutely!

On 6/15/2018 at 10:55 PM, BarrysinOZ said:

becoming a father means more, I dont think i would ever forgive myself if i missed my 1st baby birth.

This, more than anything else. As a father myself, my child's safety and future is paramount, and I'd do anything to ensure that she has the best possible chance. I've had this conversation with myself a thousand times (I think we all do, when considering the decision to emigrate), and no matter which I way I look at it, us being here and not in South Africa is the only choice. Having your baby here may, no, will, be difficult financially and emotionally - but it's the only reasonable choice. Risking emigration for the sake of $10K, risking missing the birth of your child for the sake of $10K, and facing the uncertainty of a South African future, is just not worth it, in my opinion.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:56 PM, RedPanda said:

And it's true what people are saying to you that life here is very different when it comes to new mums and what they can and cannot do. Life is so much more free. As soon as physically fit to do so, mothers put their babies in prams and go walking in the public parks (I see them, I walk in parks a lot, off-road prams are a thing!) Pregnant women, even rather late term, are seen in the shops, walking in the streets between shops, out and about.

We have found Australians to be warm, open people, who let you into their groups easily.

I don't know if it's the time of year, but I see pregnant women everywhere! Not only that, everywhere we go is teeming with families. I see dads at the park with their kids, I see mom groups and dad groups meeting for coffee, and walking around the suburbs with strollers, I see people cycling with their kids, I see babies and toddlers and children on the buses and trams and trains. The libraries here are fantastic, the park facilities are amazing, and there is just so much free stuff to do. We're never at a loss for things to do with our daughter.

And, as @RedPanda said, people are friendly and open, and always up for a chat. We've exchanged numbers with parents at the park for playdates, we've been recommended schools and parks by strangers in the queue at coffee shops, we've had neighbours offer to babysit, and we've had people chatting with us on public transport about things to do and see with kids.

It's a completely different experience to what it was like in South Africa, and to add to the mix, there are a lof of migrants experiencing the same thing as you. In our short time here we've met parents from countries all over the world, newly arrived, looking to make friends and meet up and get along.

You will definitely miss your family and your close friends, but I think it'd be quite difficult to be lonely in Australia, in my personal experience.

It is, of course, a decision that no-one can make for you, but we're all cheering you on (@TamTam I'm told "rooting for you" is not the best way of saying it over here 😂) and wish you the best of luck. We're all here in the same boat, roughly speaking, and I'm pretty sure everyone is willing to give advice or chat further if you need!

And with that - happy 30th, and welcome to sore backs and multi-day hangovers 🤣

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 1:46 PM, RedPanda said:

Klink vir my julle dink aan 'n laatlammetjie... :lol:

O aarde nee.  As dit my enigste opsies is, bly ek maar alleen en vriendeloos ! 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@BarrysinOZ I have to add my 2c of completely unsolicited advice 😂

It may be very difficult being alone in Aus as a couple with a newborn, but I believe potentially also very rewarding. $10k is a small price to pay to stay together as a family, and that would be my choice too. 

I would say, fly over together as soon as possible, and make it your mission to set up a supportive network as soon as you can. Don’t be afraid to get out and about, and ask for help/companionship when the baby comes. People love to help! Join networks online and then meet other couples with babies, etc.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hellooo guys.

Just want to say thank you 4 all your encouraging words and let you all know I have been here since sunday, and i must say that i am impressed with everything. 1st impressions have been good.

I think i survived the "jetlag" as i had no problems sleeping and waking up to local times. Or does it hit me at a later date? Lol

Wife is arriving on 4th August and im picking her up at Sydney. 

We are currently based in Port Macquarie, beautiful... the bosses decided to keep me here for a bit atleast until after birth of baby as its closer to office and the facilities are a bit better than up north where we wouldve been originally based.

@TakeItOnTheChin im still holding you to that beer when we head north 😃

• Like 3

Absolutely,

Welcome to Oz and definitely catch up for a beer, will see you when you are up here. You are in the best part of Oz, Port Maquarie, Coffs Coast is the best. It has a relaxed feel, no stress here mate

• Like 1

Welcome to Oz!

Take it all in and enjoy!

2 weeks in and we feel like we're home already.

• Like 4