Balance of family test

Robbie_P

Hi All,

My Dad is going to be applying for the 143 visa soon and we just wanted to check something..

My Dad has 2 son (myself and my brother) who are based in Australia and NZ (respectively). In that regards, he meets the balance of family test.

However, about 10 year ago he separated from my mother, and remarried. His new wife had 2 children, not his, but "step children", in their 20's, but they are now separated / divorced (they have been for about 3 years).

Would he still meet the balance of family test?

Cheers,

Rovvie

Have a look at this chart: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/143-?modal=/Visas/supporting/Pages/parent/eligibility-balance-of-family-test.aspx

I don't think that the step children will count as they are over 18 and it's not his current partner. Maybe @TeeTMI can give a general comment on this.

A stepchild is either:

• your current partner’s child, or
  • under 18 years of age and the legal responsibility of you or your partner and is:
    • the child of your former partner, or
    • the child of a former partner of your current partner.

Please also check the Assurance of Support calculator to be sure that you'll be able to sponsor him.  The income levels have jumped up substantially from the fairly low annual salary of just above $30K to a calculated amount based on your income for the past three years (which reduces by the number of kids you have, partner etc.).

A single friend of mine with a few kids wanting to sponsor both his parents will need around $93K annual salary for each of the past three years.  He can't meet this new requirement (was made redundant last year so spent some time without work and has a job this year which doesn't pay as high as $93K. He is devastated at this final hurdle. His parents have spent 3+ years in the queue, paid an agent plus the application etc fees. All that money is now lost. Thousands and thousands...

The site is down over the weekend so try it on Monday.

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/custsite_aoscalc/aoscalc/financialCalPage.jsf?prg_id=7f70d7e8c6f24ec1bda24d4424eb92cf&wec-appid=aoscalc&page=D6A8C3632D6A43798B75AB1A8F69682B&wec-locale=en_US#stay

Hi All, 

Thanks for the feedback.

@RYLC In terms of income levels for Assurers, currently I will only be sponsoring a single Assuree. Currently, my income is +$120k, but I guess anything can happen in the next 3 years. My wife is planning to go back to work shortly, which should also bump up our income. Worst case scenario, my Dad has a very good and old friend who has no dependent kids (the over 20 years old) , so between our family and his family, we would make a plan..

Our main concern would be the balance of family, but I think it would be fine as my Dad didnt have a child with his ex partner, his ex simply had 2 adults children of her own (+20 years old), however my Dad and her divorced about 3-4 years ago.

Cheers,

Robbie

Reg 1.05    Balance of family test 

(1)  For the purposes of this regulation:

(a)  a person is a child of another person (the parent) if the person is a child or step-child of:    

(i)  the parent; or  

(ii)  a current spouse or current de facto partner of the parent; and