Passport validity period

Natasha

Hi, 

Anyone able to help me with an answer on the validity period on my South African passport?

How close to passport expiry date am I allowed to travel from Australia to South Africa, and then back to Australia? (on my South African passport with an Australian permanent resident visa linked to it)

My South african passport expires in August, I plan to travel end June and be back in Aus in July before my passport even expires. I have sent an application for a new passport but i dont have 4-6 months to wait :( 

Do certain airlines have different rules on these validity periods? 

Thanks for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

You need to have 3 months available on your passport to travel as a minimum - we had a similar issue for our LSD trip last year and ended up renewing our passports in SA before we travelled (but that's much quicker obviously because we were in SA). We talked to the consulate and home affairs in SA and were told you have a chance of being refused the chance to board if your passport expires in less than 3 months.

• 1 month later...

Hi, similar question.

We are Permanent Residents in Australia and I booked tickets with SAA (direct flight) from Perth to JHB and back to Perth. My 5 year old daughters passport expires 3 September 2018 and we intended going from 6 July to 17 July 2018. I have read conflicting answers so far, where some say as long  as their is 30 days you wont have an issue and others say you need 6 months.

Any advise would be great.  

• 2 weeks later...

answered before. min 30 days is the answer. I honestly think even if you have 2 weeks they wont say anything :) 
I travelled to SA in feb this year, I had about 32 days left. No questions asked, they didn’t even look at it, they were just talking :)

renewing your passport in SA is faster (aprox 6 days in kzn with no online application facilities!) - yet its about 8+ months via the embassy

@new2forum Awesome, i tried the e portal and if you dont have your SA number you cant log in as they send a OTP. Even when you update details to your aussie number it doesn't send the OTP. Whats the point of offering the function if it doesn't work, go figure!

hi don't bother with the online app. go to home affairs in person its quicker

• 3 months later...

We are travelling to SA in December 2018. Mine and my daughter's passports expire in July and September 2019 respectively. I was told you need to have at least 6 months validity to travel.

I have already sent in applications for new passports. Does one get any confirmation of this to show you have sent in the applications for new passports? 

Can't find any info on the Aus immigration site to clarify... 

morning, spoeken about this extensively. I travelled to SA this january with 45 days left on my SA passport with no questions i believe the rule is 30 days, but some people have even said theyve had 2 weeks left on it with no issues! apply for your SA passport in SA, its quicker than the embassy

Hi Margot, i had the same dillema, but we travelled to SA in June for two week and my daughters passport expired in September this year. We had no issues during the travel. We applied at home affairs for a new passport but in typical public service fasion, the passport was not ready before we left.

1 hour ago, Marcodasilva said:

the passport was not ready before we left.

in jan this year, applying thru a kzn home affairs office took 6 working days! 

• 9 months later...

Hi new2forum, I have sent my passport renewal application form to Canberra a week ago and it will be touch and go if I have it back by December. I want to travel to SA then on a passport which expires in Feb 2020. Do you think having started the process here, if I have not received my passport in time it would be OK to apply in South Africa? I have also heard it is relatively quick - especially at the banks.