Hello

AussieMick

@BonnyYou’re over generalising there are >120,000 of us ex South Africans in Oz and we have different personalities, attitudes and approaches.

Almost a 1/2 of aussies are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants and I’ve met some aussies who politely cut you to the knees in business. On the whole, in Oz, ex South Africans are respected and make a valuable contribution to Australian society.

Don’t let a few outliers Yu n you into an apologist.

4 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

@BonnyYou’re over generalising there are >120,000 of us ex South Africans in Oz and we have different personalities, attitudes and approaches.

Almost a 1/2 of aussies are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants and I’ve met some aussies who politely cut you to the knees in business. On the whole, in Oz, ex South Africans are respected and make a valuable contribution to Australian society.

Don’t let a few outliers Yu n you into an apologist.

Definitely not an apologist, been in business in Aus for quite a few years now. As you say, they can ‘politely’ cut you to your knees. However I don’t like rude South Africans either.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:05 PM, Bonny said:

What South Africans underestimate (imho) is how polite Australians are.

mmm....met some incredibly rude/ materialistic/arrogant aussies as well...etc etc

Seems we may not be all that different after all!

@Bonny Stereotypes are not correct.... they do not apply broadly.

Let me ask you this, your stereotypical South African (that is apparently very rude and abrasive), how are you defining them as South African?

That may sound like a stupid question, but what is a South Africa according to you?

• White / Black / Indian / Coloured / Mixed race?
  • English / Afrikaans / Zulu / Sotho / Tswana / Tshivenda / Xohsa etc?
  • Assuming English first language of English / Irish/ Greek / Portuguese / Eastern European etc origin?
  • Christian / Jewish / Muslin / Hindu / Buddhist / atheist?
  • From a major city / small city / rural area?
  • Assuming major city.... Johannesburg / Cape Town / Durban?
  • Assuming JHB.... Northern / Southern / East / West / Central Johannesburg?
  • University educated or trade?
  • Young or old
  • Private School or public
  • Single gender school or both gender school
  • Assuming male.... played rugby, hockey, soccer, cricket?
  • Assuming private school.... which school?
  • Assuming public school... model C or other?
  • I could go on.....

The point is there is no such thing as a stereotypical South African, therefore South Africans aren't as a group rude, hard working, happy, sad or anything else. We as South Africans (and this applies to every gender, race, sexual orientation, culture, country) are individuals, sometimes similar to other South Africans and sometimes completely different. 

Edited by Duggen
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 8:09 AM, AussieMick said:

You are in demand because employers can hire your skills in without having to train. 

Lol.....that applies to just about every position unless advertised as a graduate/apprenticeship position!

Love your posts Aussie Mick - especially the fair go bits....just wondering how that's working out for you?

Stereotypes are an interesting one... in my opinion mostly based on a combination of an individual's circumstances, perspective and history with a certain demographic.  

Because it is essentially defined by each individuals' unique combination of the above-mentioned things it makes it quite a personal thing, aka. people take it really personally if you don't agree with their summation of a demographic. 

I mean how do you not come to the exact same conclusion as they did, they've got thousands of examples to prove their point... yeah well I've got thousands of examples proving exactly the opposite!

Emigration and travel have taught me to be way more objective.  Pre-defined ideas of certain demographics, places, countries are often wrong and will cloud your experience of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

Stereotypes are an interesting one... in my opinion mostly based on a combination of an individual's circumstances, perspective and history with a certain demographic.  

Because it is essentially defined by each individuals' unique combination of the above-mentioned things it makes it quite a personal thing, aka. people take it really personally if you don't agree with their summation of a demographic. 

I mean how do you not come to the exact same conclusion as they did, they've got thousands of examples to prove their point... yeah well I've got thousands of examples proving exactly the opposite!

Emigration and travel have taught me to be way more objective.  Pre-defined ideas of certain demographics, places, countries are often wrong and will cloud your experience of them.

Confirmation bias is an incredible thing.... people place a lot more weight on things that confirm their point of view as opposed to those that challenge it.

Edited by Duggen
  • Like 2