ONLINE Business Ideas

JJDLmoving

Good day everyone, 
I am looking to start an online business in Australia. I am looking for any ideas or advice? 

I looked on my LSD trip everyday for items to sell. It was much more challenging then i thought? 

Please can you send me any ideas of items you think would sell online? Or if you can advise if you think there are any items not available or in high demand. 

Many thanks in advance. 

JJ

What online business did you run in RSA?

Why do you think it will be more successful in Aus?

What to sell is a tough question. Start with these 2 links (many links may not work anymore)

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/45890-starting-an-online-cloithing-store/?do=findComment&comment=418357

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/45890-starting-an-online-cloithing-store/?do=findComment&comment=418439

How should you go about is - a few approaches:

1. Use a keyword search tool (like Market Samurai but may be outdated now) and look which keywords have the most search hits and then which online businesses serve those keywords. Look for those that don't get serviced.

2. Another way is to go to the library and page the most recent 100+ magazines. Look at all the adverts and try to spot a theme and trend. That is your clue.

3. Also, have a look at what tempory stalls try to sell in shopping centres eg leather goods, cookware, glass terrariums, trampolines etc

3. Now get a niche within a niche i.e focus. Don't try to service an entire industry. Example: if the keyword/advert theme was "dog" rather go for "dog collar" or dog tag or dog cushions

Decide if you should rather produce your own products. Your margins will be bigger.

Drop-shipping have very small margins due to competition and if you decide then shipping cost eats away your profits.

Perhaps consider doing an online store for an existing brick and mortar business and take a % eg lawnmowers

Hope it helps!!!

Now that Amazon has arrived in Australia, selling "stuff" as a small online business will be a big ask. The ones I know who are successful have been going for quite some years so have a loyal following and most sell a handmade and/or highly customised product which can't be bought in a shop.  Services on the other hand for a local community might be a better go.  Like babysitting / school pickup service for expat families...  something for the expat community because you understand them.  Getting traction in the Australian market is notoriously tough (speaking as a business owner myself) and just trying to sell "stuff" will be a very long shot, particularly as you're asking for ideas of what to sell when we don't even know which state you'll be in, how much time you'll have to do this, how much money you have to throw at this, what your technical skills are for online payment gateways, website creation etc. Too many questions to just say yeah dog collars are hot right now...

• Like 1

Unfortunately if it is easy and does well everyone is doing it already, and stuff can get here from china for next to nothing in shipping

So firstly thank you to everyone for your feedback.

In JHB (SA) i sell used coffee equipment on gumtree ONLY. I have had good success in this. When i move to Australia i intend on trying this same strategy. Buy Used equipment from people that are selling (maybe their business is not doing well), very cost effectively cleanup and repair equipment, resell at about a 30-50% margin. This will be very area specific and targeted. Heavy equipment, people want to see and test before buying. 

The 2nd thing i want to do i offer 1 or 2 unique products (can be on 2 separate sites). These products are note easily available on gumtree, ebay, etc. They are customized and very niche. And they are affordable too. This i want to market through google adwords. This will be country wide (possibly) as the items are generic and small and light to transport. 

Any thoughts above the above strategies?  

The coffee equipment sounds like a good idea as its big in Australia. 

However, that is just an opinion and like with all ideas you need to test that.

There is enough information online on how to do that quickly and effectively.

Also, the 30-day challenge is about getting that 1st sale without all the bells & whistles initially

There is unfortunately a snag with the coffee equipment. Most cafes do not own their coffee machines.  The coffee bean suppliers give a free machine for as long as they supply your beans (to keep customers locked in). When a cafe goes belly up, the bean supplier picks up the machine, refurbishes it and gives it to their next new customer. Bean suppliers even offer free machines to corporate offices. I'm a bookkeeper for cafes so know this from the inside.  This might be a hurdle to finding second hand equipment stock and/or commercial customers.  So many things are different here which is why I suggested a service (rather than a product) for the expat community, to begin with anyway.

Thanks Everyone for your reply. I really appreciate your time taken. 

The thing that i forgot to mention is that i deal with mainly domestic (home use) coffee machines. I believe there is a good opportunity to buy and resell these machines. 

Im going to look at the 30 day challenge tonight! THank you.

By the way - does anyone know how i can get a list of the Christian Retailers / Bookshops / etc? in Australia?

Many many thanks. 

Hi Everyone - How do you get onto the 30 day challenge. It seems to be a 10 day challange now and it is a closed group? Any help? 

A quick search shows that he doesn't run the 30-day challenge anymore.

However, the 25 videos are available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eX0_EEvUWE&list=PL0ADACEB7CE95322C

It seems like he moved on now to a mentoring program with a heavy price tag. Now called the "THIRTY DAYS ONE DOLLAR"

https://yourfirstdollar.com/blog/

But check the reviews first.

It might not be relevant to the exact way you do your reselling, but in general I've found that the secondhand market value of appliances is next to nothing in Australia. I buy a lot of things on Gumtree and purchases include things like: leather lounge suite, nothing wrong at all, 25% of the new price; Breville steak grill, dirty, 16% new price; coffee table, free; wall clock, as new, 60% of new price.

My personal theory on this is: Australians are much richer than South Africans, when it comes to buying power, and so they are spoilt. Spoilt for choice, convenience, availability and affordability. This also shows up in their attitude towards saving in the 'pinching pennies' fashion, where you cut up old t-shirts for rags, or upcycle something broken, or soak dry used teabags in paraffin to use as firelighters. They'd look at this behaviour and either go: Neat, but I can't be bothered. or Why?

That's just my experience. So I think the bottom line is that it would be good to scope out the local market and get an understanding for it, before venturing into anything with substantial upfront investments.

50 minutes ago, RedPanda said:

It might not be relevant to the exact way you do your reselling, but in general I've found that the secondhand market value of appliances is next to nothing in Australia. I buy a lot of things on Gumtree and purchases include things like: leather lounge suite, nothing wrong at all, 25% of the new price; Breville steak grill, dirty, 16% new price; coffee table, free; wall clock, as new, 60% of new price.

My personal theory on this is: Australians are much richer than South Africans, when it comes to buying power, and so they are spoilt. Spoilt for choice, convenience, availability and affordability. This also shows up in their attitude towards saving in the 'pinching pennies' fashion, where you cut up old t-shirts for rags, or upcycle something broken, or soak dry used teabags in paraffin to use as firelighters. They'd look at this behaviour and either go: Neat, but I can't be bothered. or Why?

That's just my experience. So I think the bottom line is that it would be good to scope out the local market and get an understanding for it, before venturing into anything with substantial upfront investments.

My experience is the same but I didn't want to rain on the parade any more than I already have.  Second hand stuff here is at give away prices, brand loyalty is very big (even down to biscuits, tea, coffee), and sometimes not even the Salvation Army charities want to take your perfectly fine, good condition items.