URGENT Vehicle defective airbag RECALL

Mara

I am placing this on the forum, because there is a chance that you do not know about this. There are vehicles that have defective airbags, when they blow, they send out shrapnel which could kill you and your loved ones. Please check the link below, if your vehicle make, model and year of manufacture is mentioned, then you need to contact a dealership immediately to arrange for the airbags to be replaced, at their cost.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls/compulsory-takata-airbag-recall/takata-airbag-recalls-list?utm_source=EDM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Body_link_1&utm_campaign=CML_Vehicle_Recall#id5

Edited by Mara
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hello young Mara, 

They are updating this campaign now to target cars when licences get renewed too now. 

• 3 weeks later...

My son’s car is one of those affected. I’m so annoyed about it because Holden has been stringing me along for almost a year and a half now, just keep pushing the dates out. Now it’s supposed to be May but we’ve heard nothing, when I phone they’re just full of excuses. We can’t sell the car and in the meanwhile my 21 year old is not allowed to drive distances (by me), he has to get a lift with his sister, because I’m terrified of the shrapnel exploding everywhere. And he has had his car for 5 years now, a 2008 Astra. 

Edited by Bonny

On 4/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, ottg said:

@Bonny , Wise decision, as the shrapnel has a 50% chance of killing. Noted Holden has a recall schedule here:

https://www.holden.com.au/owning/airbag-recall

https://www.holden.com.au/resources/documents/Takata_Airbag_Recall_Schedule.pdf

Hi otto

Thanks very much for looking that up Otto. Repairs are supposed to start in less than 2 weeks. News to me.

Guess I’ll be phoning them again today!

Edited by Bonny

We have now had our airbags replaced twice. 

When I was chatting with the guys at the garage at the time of the second airbag replacement - seemingly they are provided with list of who to replace and when - this may explain the delay you are seeing?  With what appeared to be the key factor they said being the age of the air bag. 
They said they were told to replace older airbags first before newer airbags (as practically they cannot do all at once).  That the car manufacturors send them a list of which cars and when they must be completed by.
Our original bags were replaced due to their age - however were replaced by the same type of airbag (which would have the same issues as the one we had as it aged) with a new one replacing the old. 
They stated that this related to the delay in respect of getting the second replacement airbag was due to the need to manufacture sufficient of the new replacement type of airbag, hence the reason for giving us a new 'old style' bag first...