SA Passports - 6 to 12 months?!

DXB2OZ

On 9/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, Knoesil said:

@Minks We also applied for my husband's passporrt renewals in late March 2019. Still no news. Have you received yours yet?

@Knoesil When I last emailed Canberra, they let me know that our passport applications had been sent to RSA for processing on 5th April (I would hazard a guess that yours could possibly have been included in that batch?!). 
Almost at the 7-month waiting mark, when I will email them again to see if they have a progress update... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I applied for my passport renewal and after 5 months 2 weeks it arrived this morning. So seems they are pretty accurate with it taking 6 months.

Cheers

FingersCrossed

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2019 at 12:46 PM, FingersCrossed said:

Hi

I applied for my passport renewal and after 5 months 2 weeks it arrived this morning. So seems they are pretty accurate with it taking 6 months.

Cheers

FingersCrossed

@FingersCrossed I’m just wondering what state did you apply from? I applied early August 2019 and when I applied the Application time was 6 months. I’m hoping I made the cut as I need to be in NYC at the end of February. 

cheers. 

Submitted 2 child passports and 1 adult application, in the same envelope, to Canberra.

Kids got their passports in about 6 months and I've been waiting for over 10 months for mine  😪

I've emailed HACC multiple times, only to receive the same response each time - an email reply stating that they'll "escalate" the urgency of the application and I need to follow up again in 3 - 4 weeks.

A lady I contacted at the South African High Commission in Canberra has also emailed the passport division directly requesting clarity regarding the delay ... and we're still waiting for a reply from their contact?! That was over 2 weeks ago!!

To say I am frustrated beyond measure would be an understatement.

@Minks, I have a similar problem, been waiting for 9 months and by insisting on detailed feedback when I called the contact center was told mine got stuck at fingerprints section for 4 months for no real reason.... just stuck there.  It became “unstuck” when I emailed a complaint to Directorgeneral@dha.gov.za and copied the presidents office.... it has now finally left South Africa and is still currently in transit to Canberra, but it was fully processed and finalized within a week of emailing the DG office.

The DG did respond immediately to my complaint and asked the passports section for feedback - the feedback never came but the passport was processed, which is all I care about.

you can call on +27 (12) 338-8000 just be prepared for a 20 minutes wait and being cut off a couple of times - set aside an hour to get through properly and get a response.  However all calling did was get an answer as to it being stuck and that they will escalate.

Edited by MichKen

@MichKen it's really frustrating that you have to get to the point of sending through emails of complaint - when in fact, the process should be really simple!

I'm glad that you managed to get your passport sorted out, and that it's on it's way to you now.

As an update on my passport application:

I phoned HACC on Friday 31/01 (on that same number you provided) and, to be honest, was pleasantly surprised how quickly the line was answered and how efficient the lady I spoke to was.

Within 10 minutes I had an answer and was even told to have a good evening 🙂. My passport has now been processed and is waiting to be dispatched to Canberra - although they are not sure when that will be as they need the mail bag to be filled before they'll send it on. So we wait... but at least I know it's been printed!

• Like 1

It ARRIVED!! :ilikeit:

For those waiting for passports, or if you need to apply for one, I would highly recommend emailing and pestering all of the above contacts after the 3 month mark!

The date of issue on my passport is 25th January - which means that only after an email was sent directly to the passport department at Home Affairs South Africa, did any action on processing my application happen. 

Printed and delivered in 2 weeks!! 

• 1 month later...

I was astounded to receive my passport in the mail on Friday morning! Looks like it was printed on the 17th of March and then somehow magically made its way here in super quick time. Not sure how this works but I'm happy even if I cant fly anywhere right now 😁 Stay save everyone!