Secondary School - beyond just academics

LouiseMark

This goes out to the parents of children who have been through high school in NSW. I keep hearing about awards for children beyond just academics (I think I have heard Duke of .....something achievements?) and how kids must volunteer and it's important to have more than just a good academic career to be eligible for uni. 

We are only 6 months into our new adventure and my oldest is now in Year 9. What should we be looking at to encourage involvement? She is determined to study at uni in the veterinary field and has her "plans" in her head (since she was 4 years old). 

This all feels so unfamiliar for us as in SA we knew the schools and teachers and knew what she needed to keep on this path to university. Any advice regarding the "extras" to make her more desirable to a university?

Thanks for an advice!

Edited by LouiseMark

I think maybe you have been given a slightly wrong story from a timing point of view.  

For university entrance: only your marks count. You are given a total score for your final year and this score is used for application. No resume is required for university entrance. 

Where volunteering and extra activities (such as team sport) ARE a factor is when you are applying for a graduate position after completion of studies.  That is when these extra things help to pad out a very fresh resume and help to give a more real picture of what type of person you are.

So there is plenty of time for your daughter to settle in, concentrate on her studies etc.

Edited by RYLC

Perhaps you can find the exact course she wants to do and then contact the university directly for more answers.

Edited by RYLC

You probably mean the Duke of Edinburgh awards - this is more or less the equivalent of The President's Awards in SA. 

For university entrance, your marks count first and foremost. There are however programs (like Maquarie University Global Leadership Awards), where early entrance is granted to students based on marks as well as contributions to community etc. But it is not a pre-requisite.

For vet science, you may need to check different universities requirements in terms of subjects etc. It will also be very useful to get work experience working at a vet.