Is Visa cost adjusted based on current Aus-ZAR exchange rate

Anusha

Hi, I have noticed the exchange rate has been very active the past few days. Aus $ to ZAR is 9.65. In Rand terms for my family of 4, this entails almost R8000. We are at the submit page of our application and would appreciate some guidelines. Seems as though the visa pricing estimate has not been adjusted and illustrates the exchange rate at over R11 to dollar. Please help, hoping to submit soon xxxx

Estimate is the key word there. The visa is paid in dollars, a fixed amount of dollars. Whatever the exchange rate is at the moment of payment will determine the amount of rands you pay. Remember there will be a small percentage added to the amount when you pay with your credit/debit card (but how else can you pay really?) 

On the 16th of Nov when the exchange rate was around R11.20 to the $ after some guy resigned from sarb it worked out to be R84000 give or take a few rand for a family of 4 and now with it being almost R1.50 cheaper to buy AUD I would have had a much better Xmas had I waited but I wanted to get the visas lodged asap and saw it as an opportunity to start earning $ sooner rather then to save a few thousand rands waiting for the exchange rate to go back down.

Whatever the rate is at the time your payment goes off is the rate that will be used. I think it was about R400 to R500 more when I converted it so I paid about 7400$ and ended up on R84000 and if I converted the $7400 directly using the rate at the time it worked out to be about R83500.

Thanks for the feedback. We did the payment this morning and the exchange rate was R9.66.