Tamworth

Lynnor

Hi All,

Just looking at finding out a little more about this regional city. Such as jobs, schools, suburbs, cost of living.

Any help and input is highly regarded.

Whenever you are looking for jobs, the easiest site to go to is www.seek.com.au and then plug in Tamworth, it will show you what is available. You can do the same with www.realestate.com.au for renting and buying properties.

@Mara Thanks for this. Hubby and I have decided to go over without the kids and pave the way, I will then return to fetch them. 

I am anxious regarding finding a job in my field because I checked Seek and there aren't very many administrative positions available in Tamworth.

Do you have to go to Tamworth? It's usually a good starting point to find out where the most jobs are advertised that fit your skillset, and go there first. After you've worked for a while you can start to apply for jobs from the 'safety of being employed' and then you can go where you actually want to go.

• Like 1

Hi @RedPanda, yes Tamworth is were we heading because my husband got offered a job you see so we are going on a 457 which his employer is sponsoring. Once settled we will presume with a 187 or 186 PR as per our agent...

I have read a lot of good reviews about the City however you can never have to much info :)

Ah...ok. Then at least one of you has a job to start with. That's ok. The Aussie basic salary is such that you should in theory be able to support a small family on one salary. It always helps to have two. I'd say, find out what you can about the place in advance, but once you are there, join social activities wherever you have a special interest, whether the library, sewing, DIY carpentry, wildlife...whatever floats your boat. And talk to the locals. The best way to find work in Australia, if you don't have a super-rare skill that they falling over for, is word of mouth. And that could be words of your volunteer buddy to their buddy to their boss who happens to be looking for someone.

@RedPanda ,Aaaahhhh I was thinking of volunteering at the kids school.......  :)

Yes hubby has a signed offer already, Visa is in process and if all goes well we will be leaving in the new year.... My concern is just that as temp residents we need to pay health and school until PR is granted so I'm concerned about the living expenses. I really don't even mind working at a supermarket to start off with #truestory.

• Like 1

Good luck! It might be tough initially, odd jobs are surprisingly hard to come by. But just persevere, eventually something will give.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedPanda said:

Good luck! It might be tough initially, odd jobs are surprisingly hard to come by. But just persevere, eventually something will give.

Thanks for the motivation @RedPanda... As long as our kids have a brighter future. I was born to persevere!!! :) #daughterofthemosthighKing