Brisbane Suburbs

IslandStyle

Seeing what you guys are saying. I may have to eat my words too and end up further from the city than I want. 

• 5 weeks later...

I see the point made about the quality of places closer to the cbd. High prices and either too small or pretty grubby. 

Will need to look further afield. We’ve been looking at Red Hill, Milton, Auchenflower Indooroopilly basically 10km radius around Milton and we’re not finding anything we’re happy with. 

It's a tough one picking a suburb. When we landed in Brisbane we ended up in 10 km band from the CBD too.  We had a 30 minute commute in RSA so figured something the same or shorter would work. I wanted to be near shopping and library so we ended up picking out the large Westfield shopping centres and looking around them. We also looked at ease of getting about such as access to the Gateway motorway for example. Funnily enough my husband was in Brisbane last week and said how much the motorways have expanded and that the 10 km ring around the city was not nearly as congested as he remembered it.  Must be those motorways that have moved the traffic out as new developments have expanded out. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you can find 10 km out. All the best with your search.

• Thanks 1

I’ll look further afield, not as far as North Lakes though.

5 minutes ago, TamTam said:

Maybe have a look at bridgman downs, albany creek, Aspley and Carseldine, nice houses, no quite as pricey and should be reasonable to get to the city

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TamTam said:

Don't look at houses in North lakes because you can't unsee it!

We're buying here. 

Yeah I've already looked online and I see the houses are really nice. However we aren't keen on the long commute. Win some lose some :)

Congrats on buying! I'm temped - not a fan of renting but I know we need to test the waters first.

Long story short, we're looking for a bit of land in Moggill/Bellbowrie to build what we really want. The 10min extra drive from Kenmore is time well spent on living the country life and workj g in the city.

Bellbowrie is really popular with South Africans, as you can get a bit of land and build something that suits a South African taste.

The other area you guys may want to consider is Forest Lake and Springfield Lakes.  There are a few dodgy streets in those areas, but I cycle through them quite regularly and there are also some really nice homes at a lower price range than some of the houses closer to the CBD.  Springfield Lakes is on a train line.

We went with proximity to the city and the train and went with a Queenslander.  They are a bit strange at first, but you get used to them really quickly.

• Like 1

I don’t mind different house types. I lived in a three level house in Haarlem with crazy steep stairs. I managed that so I can deal with a queenslander. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically North of the river the traffic sucks, you have one two lane highway (busy widening it since we arrived four years ago).  South of the river there are proper highways, but much more chance of ending up in a bogan area.

When we first moved here we stayed in North Lakes.  Lovely place to live.  All the shops you can shake a stick at.  Loved coming home on a Friday and heading out to the bay for a swim/fish and chips/scoot on the board walk/sausage sizzle.  Very nicely laid out, so you can walk/cycle around without going into the road and never hit a dead end.  But....

- The commute sucks piles, it nearly cost my marriage.  I couldn’t deal with three hours a day in the car parked on the highway.  Nudgee remains the one part of Brisbane I hate!  

- The mozzies!  I felt like a aircraft carrrier when I mowed the lawn, while my girls stared at me from behind the screens to scared to come out.

- The state schools aren’t great.  My daughter was in NLSS, and I’m confident she was getting a better education from Umhlali in KZN.  When we moved out to Moggill the difference was marked.

- The traffic is omnipresent 

- There’s far less “space” than the Western suburbs 

We’ve just (well 18months and counting) bought a block and should start building next month in Moggill.  What we love:

- “Space” and quietness.

- Feels like living in the countryside.  There is also a village feel to the area. Pictures below were all taken within 2km of our house.

- “No” mozzies, but lots of huntsmen, so take your pick.

- The city is still an easy bus ride away

- The schools are very good

- The ferry - I love it

The negatives

- Shopping? There’s a Coles and a Maccas and very little else, the closest mall is across the river, by ferry.

- The ferry - lots of people hate it.  After hours you’re going to have a long drive through Kenmore.

We have a few friends in Springfield Lakes and it’s pretty much the same as North Lakes wrt “feel” just newer and not as settled.

Some areas I like the look of:

Carindale

Newer areas of Wynnum

Redland Bay

If you have the cash:

Fig Tree Pocket

Pullenvale/Brookfield 

We looked at Jindalee and West Lake, but if you want to use the first time homeowners grant, tough luck, it’s all built up.

My advice if you haven’t been to Brisbane is to get the immigrant map of Oz and switch off UK and NZ.  Find the areas that have a high concentration of Saffers.  Go look there.  Not to be around other Saffers, but in my experience everywhere I’ve been that I think “this is nice” has a lot of Saffers.  If I think “no way”, very few Saffers.

Edit : this site only allows twiddly small images, and no way to get them off my phone

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, we just restored a 70 year old Queenslander in Dayboro, a country town about an hour North West of Brisbane. It’s probably not going to appeal to the average SAfrican because it’s only 3 beds 1.5 bathroom. Everything is now brand new and it’s extremely pretty. Hoop pine floors, original stained glass windows, etc. I’m hoping Dayboro is the next big thing because it’s just past Samford which has gone nuts. Very touristy. On 1000sqm, we’re going to market in Sept. for mid 500’s. Brilliant little primary school at the end of the road. Pm me if you like the area :)

• 3 months later...

Hey everybody 🤗 We are looking to rent a place in South Brisbane, my husband got a job in Acacia Ridge. Any advise on suburbs to look at/avoid would be appreciated. 

21 hours ago, TamLovesRic said:

Hey everybody 🤗 We are looking to rent a place in South Brisbane, my husband got a job in Acacia Ridge. Any advise on suburbs to look at/avoid would be appreciated. 

We rented for a while in Moorooka. 3 bed 2 bath unit in Hamilton Ave with a pool in the complex. Ours had an aircon but many didn’t, so watch out for that. Moorooka is a reasonable area, on the up. Not very fancy but has everything and a good train station  straight into town. Let’s just say a diverse neighbourhood. Because it’s getting so expensive now to buy close to town, many people who wouldn’t previously have considered the area have started buying there. 

Rocklea was hit extremely hard in the floods. Personally I wouldn’t rent there or Acacia Ridge (very industrial).

If you want to live south, there are nice newer areas around Springfield Lakes, and they have Orion Shopping Mall which is actually really nice and has a big free kids’ pool.

If you have a higher budget look at Sherwood and Graceville, very good primary schools. Corinda is also quite good. 

Edited by Bonny
  • Thanks 1

We're moving to Brisbane shortly.  We're looking at a few areas - Wellington Point/Birkdale, Narangba, Moggil.  We considered North Lakes but it sounds like the properties are very small. 

I will be working near South Brisbane station and currently have a 50 minute bus commute in Sydney (I love to read so that is my reading time).  Any advice/recommendations? I would prefer something maximum 45-50 minutes public transport commute to South Brisbane station and larger properties with a more countryside feel.

43 minutes ago, CharlesH said:

We're moving to Brisbane shortly.  We're looking at a few areas - Wellington Point/Birkdale, Narangba, Moggil.  We considered North Lakes but it sounds like the properties are very small. 

I will be working near South Brisbane station and currently have a 50 minute bus commute in Sydney (I love to read so that is my reading time).  Any advice/recommendations? I would prefer something maximum 45-50 minutes public transport commute to South Brisbane station and larger properties with a more countryside feel.

I’d be amazed if you could do Narangba to South Bank in under an hour.  Narangba itself is rural and I little rough around the edges.  Reminds me of the plots on the East Rand when I was growing up.  Some mansions with obviously peoples businesses and some not do great.

Wellington Point is great, but not rural, more village feel in the older areas in my opinion.  Expensive for me, but coming from Sydney your mileage may vary.  Guys in the office say about an hour into South Bank by train.

Im very partial to Moggill, we’re building a house there.  Very rural feeling, the area is surrounded by horse farms.  On my morning cycle I see maybe 5 cars.  It’s about an hour in with the bus.

@CharlesH if public transport is a big factor for you, download the Translink App and have a play around to see how the thing works. Once you realise that you have to let it find the address for you, you can easily figure out commute times which combine walking, train and bus, at different times of the day. 

Not sure about commuting in & out of South Brisbane, I’m not that familiar with the east. ‘Rural’ and ‘Public transport’ don’t always go together very well 😂 I agree Moggill has a nice feel, plenty of trees etc. A bit nearer is Kenmore Hills or Chapel Hill (suburbia). Also consider housing around the Ferny Grove train station. Cashmere is nice and rural but I don’t think there’s a train option.

Gumdale is quite rural, but again, not sure if you would have to drive to a train station.

Let us know how you go. 

Edited by Bonny

Kenmore; Kenmore Hills and Chapel Hill are nice areas. I think it depends on your budget and what kind of commute you want.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:21 PM, Bonny said:

Translink App

Google maps now have live public transport updates for Brisbane.  

Is it just me or does the buses in Brisbane just not show up - I've had it happen several times - using google and the translink app