Assistance required: Way to Aus for Physiotherapist

Basil1

Hi All,

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

My wife is a physiotherapist and I am an engineering technologist (Civil engineering: water).  Are there any physio's out there that have done the assessment with AHPRA?  We believe that it is a lengthy and expensive process -  apparently, my wife would need to go to Aus for the second part of the process (Practicals) as well (my wife is currently researching the assessment and registration).  We have therefore been advised to look at entering Aus on my occupation and my wife does temporary work (possibly as a physio assistant) whilst she does her assessment and registration.

Does anyone know what type of work she may be able to secure?

A bit of other information -

1)  We are looking to settle in Adelaide (we are a young family and like the idea of a smaller city!), but Melbourne is still also an option. (Personally, I think Brisbane looks amazing, but my wife is keen to try for the south as the first option as its a little cooler!)

2)  We would have to enter SA on a 189 Visa as our occupations will not be sponsored by SA.  We are also thinking that maybe we should try a 190 Visa (Victoria).  Does anyone know the probability that we would be accepted on either of those visas to the respective territories? (I should achieve 60 points with proficient English - Takes the stress of trying to achieve superior English, however, I will try!) 

Maybe someone else has another entry option that we can investigate?

3) We are trying to minimise trips to Aus prior to the big move (For monetary reasons!) so we are prepared to do as much (remotely) as we can and then sink or swim as we set foot on Aussie soil for the first time when we immigrate!

Many thanks, in advance, for the assistance!

Cheers

Edited by Basil1
Typo correction

Hi Basil

I am sure you will get a lot of info on this forum, there a  lot of very helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

Just a few thoughts from me:

You only need to apply with one main applicate (you or your wife) with the help of an agent or a bit of digging on the net, you can see what will be the best for you, 189 or 190 , you or your wife as main applicant.

The scores on 189 Visa are normally a bit more demanding than a 190 (if there is a 190 one available)

It’s hard to say if 60 points will be enough, it depends how many applicants there get, they normally allocate the slots from high to low

Just be prepared  as you might have to do a activation trip, we did not plan to do one, but we got our 189 on very short notice.  6 months to make 1st entry , not enough time (for us ) to pack up here and move ever. ( So we are going in Feb to activate)

My advice either be prepared to do lots of homework (and possible make a few mistakes) or pay a bit more and use and agent to map out your options and advise the way forward.

Good luck !

2 hours ago, LM17 said:

Hi Basil

I am sure you will get a lot of info on this forum, there a  lot of very helpful and knowledgeable folks here.

Just a few thoughts from me:

You only need to apply with one main applicate (you or your wife) with the help of an agent or a bit of digging on the net, you can see what will be the best for you, 189 or 190 , you or your wife as main applicant.

The scores on 189 Visa are normally a bit more demanding than a 190 (if there is a 190 one available)

It’s hard to say if 60 points will be enough, it depends how many applicants there get, they normally allocate the slots from high to low

Just be prepared  as you might have to do a activation trip, we did not plan to do one, but we got our 189 on very short notice.  6 months to make 1st entry , not enough time (for us ) to pack up here and move ever. ( So we are going in Feb to activate)

My advice either be prepared to do lots of homework (and possible make a few mistakes) or pay a bit more and use and agent to map out your options and advise the way forward.

Good luck !

Awesome @LM17 thanks for the input. We are toying with the idea of using an agent. Personally, I feel we could do it ourselves but there are a lot of things to do/remember!  We may just opt for professional assistance and get it right the first time!

I downloaded the '100 steps' some time ago and have begun modifying it to suit our journey.  It helps a lot.

If we apply using my occupation, the way I see it is that I may get SS for Victoria or NSW (I haven't checked WA but my occupation is off the list for SA and Queensland). We're really not keen to go to Sydney. 

I understand that 60 points is the bare minimum but hopefully will SS and great English marks I can increase that by 15! Sorry to hear that you're having to do an unexpected activation trip. But congratulations on receiving your visa. Great.

We understand that all journeys are different but we're excited to research EVERYTHING!  (this forum is such a blessing!) 

Where are going to be based once the move is complete? 

Sounds like you are on the right track @Basil1 .

We used a agent and it worked for us, BUT I must admit its not rocket science. 

Our plan is to go to Melbourne (best for my work)....the forced trip has actually worked out well, as we can do a bit of prep work (scope schools, neighborhoods and open bank account) while we are there, and my wife is eager to check things out a bit before we head over.

Shout of you have questions , if I can I will help

Cheers

Great man. Thanks for the offer. Nice to know that you've been through the 189 process, I may just take you up on that offer!

I'd love to do a pre-trip, however we are starting from scratch financially and thus once we have a suitable amount it would be great to just head over. I know that it may not end up going that way though, which is fine. Will take it as it comes!

Would love to hear more about your trip in February! Enjoy it.

Cheers 

Regarding trying to avoid a separate activation trip - I think you can manage that by only supplying the medicals and PCC once asked for it. The time you have to activate your visa is determined by the validity remaining on those two documents. When people talk about getting direct grants it means they supplied everything upfront and the CO didn't require anything else. The problem with a direct grant can then be a short notice period to activate the visa.

Thanks @TamTam, just to clarify, when activating the visa does the entire family need to enter Aus or only the main applicant? 

@Basil1 When activating the entire family need to enter Aus. However, if for instance the main applicant, decides to come over first and find a job and a place to stay, before the family join him/her, then it is not a problem. It is only if you are coming for a visit, in order to do your activation, then the whole family need to come as well.

Thanks @Mara if the family does come in-tow, I would assume that they must still be within the allocated activation time when they enter Aus? Or are you saying that they could then come over anytime thereafter me finding a job etc, even if it falls outside of the initial activation period? 

I'd imagine you meant the former?

Cheers

@Basil1 your whole family would need to have their visas activated (touch down in Australia) before activation date indicated on the visa grant. What Mara was saying was that you don't have to activate at the same time. So if you were to get your visa today and it said you and your family had to activate by June 2018 - you could go over between now and June and look for work etc but your family could stay in SA. BUT you family would still need to activate their visas by June.

Do you know who you will be flying with? I want to try something called Plane Pal - it is an inflatable cushion that allows kiddies to lie down.

Not all airlines allow it though.

I am nervous to fly as well with my son who will be around 2 when we go over.

@TamTam  - we flying SAA via Perth on to Melbourne, we booked the middle row for the international legs . I am expecting to get zero sleep...Plane Pal...will google it, thanks

Edited by LM17

4 hours ago, TamTam said:

@Basil1 your whole family would need to have their visas activated (touch down in Australia) before activation date indicated on the visa grant. What Mara was saying was that you don't have to activate at the same time. So if you were to get your visa today and it said you and your family had to activate by June 2018 - you could go over between now and June and look for work etc but your family could stay in SA. BUT you family would still need to activate their visas by June.

@TamTam

3 hours ago, LM17 said:

@Basil1 @TamTam   indeed, my wife our twin girls (will be 2 years 9 months in Feb) and myself all heading over to activate .....have mercy...its going to be a circus ;-)  

Thanks @TamTam @Mara @LM17 for the clarification. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

All the best to you @TamTam and @LM17 for the flights over. It may be tough, but just enjoy the thought of one day making the move for good.

I see that Aus is continually making changes to the skilled occupation lists for state sponsorship.  Beginning to think that instead of being too picky, we should just try and get in wherever we can before they remove my occupation altogether !! 

Cheers 

Edited by Basil1
  • Like 1