Budget for Brisbane

TamTam

17 hours ago, TamTam said:

what you’re willing or not willing to sacrifice

We need to leave our South African ways behind (initially at least).  Get out of your BMW, Merc or Audi and into that Hyundai/Mazda/Kia!  Cars can come later.

17 hours ago, TamTam said:

You’re unlikely to eat out as much as in South Africa

Initially, we were too scared to even sit down at a restaurant.... die koffie is %$#% duur man!   Eventually, you get used to it and your finances settle and you'll have your little eating out treats.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:45 PM, TamTam said:

the usual Queenslander style (some South Africans find this style a little tough to get used to)

One of the main reasons that Saffas prefer brick homes over the usual Queenslander might not have become apparent yet since you arrived in the Winter months.

Being wooden, Queenslander houses have many gaps between floor boards, walls etc. which lets the "wild life" in. So lots of spiders, geckos and a Queensland speciality: the large flying cockroach! For this reason many Saffas prefer brick homes that have less access points for critters (creepy crawlies).

We haven't yet experienced the wildlife coming to live with us but we have experienced the drafts - much chillier than our previous rental which was brick!

When the time comes to buy we would prefer a newer house with some insulation or even better brick. But I do appreciate that you have to buy what the next owner is likely going to want when it comes time to sell. You have to think about what you want but also about what a future owner would want. That said - I am still leaning towards brick.

11 hours ago, ChrisH said:

We need to leave our South African ways behind (initially at least).  Get out of your BMW, Merc or Audi and into that Hyundai/Mazda/Kia!  Cars can come later.

Initially, we were too scared to even sit down at a restaurant.... die koffie is %$#% duur man!   Eventually, you get used to it and your finances settle and you'll have your little eating out treats.

You make a good point - you have to give the budget time to settle down. We are already used to eating out as a treat. I will say I am developing a coffee problem here...

I will also say I am IN LOVE with Bunnings! Hubby and I have renovated two houses (1 in JHB and 1 in Haarlem) and nothing touches the awesomeness that is Bunnings. Plus my toddler is crazy about their little trolleys!

On 8/6/2018 at 11:26 PM, forrie said:

Hi TamTam, thanks for sharing your experience. We solely relied on internet browsing so far. My work is going to be in South Brisbane and it looks as if there is a few places for below 550. Yes I have no feeling for the traffic and the public transport 

When you say south of Brisbane, do you want to narrow that down for us? Logan? Sunnybank? Brisbane South? Oxley?

Huge, huge differences...

6 hours ago, Bonny said:

When you say south of Brisbane, do you want to narrow that down for us? Logan? Sunnybank? Brisbane South? Oxley?

Huge, huge differences...

I think he/she means the suburb called South Brisbane in the CBD (where the Mater Hospital is). 

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2018 at 6:22 PM, forrie said:

I ve got job+sponsorship in Brisbane. Still waiting for the visa. We have 3 kids, aged 10, 8 , 6. My wife will look for work when we get there - dont know how much time she will have to spend helping the kids (with school, English, extramural activities). Is it easy/difficult to get a half-day job in Brisbane?

From this website I've got a sort of budget:

http://www.choosebrisbane.com.au/study/living-in-brisbane/money-and-budgeting?sc_lang=en-au

Expenses $ per month:

1 Accommodation 400 900
2 Meals 200 400
3 Transport 20 60
4 Phone 40 900
5 Internet 60 80
Total 720 2340

It looks as if you can easily rent a 3 bedroom house for $400-550 not too far from the CBD.

Private schools we have contacted are about $5000-9000/annum for PM and $15000-18000/annum for non-PM.

State schools about $1500/annum.

From our google survey it doesnt seem that meat and vegetables are much more expensive than in RSA?

Would be great if someone in Brisbane can give more accurate figures.....

Hmmmm a family of 5. I think your figures are a little low. 

-Rent $550-600 (3 beds 2 baths) per week

-Food & groceries $250 per week minimum unless you’re really frugal!

-Transport maybe $10 a day per adult for train??

-Phones $60 per month per adult

-Internet $80 per month at least

-Over & above rent is electricity maybe $200 a month? Maybe someone else can confirm this (ours varies wildly)

-What about Netflix/entertainment/school clothes/haircuts/school outings/extra murals. Car/rego/insurance?

I don’t know what PM and non PM schools means. 

My hair cut, colour and highlights minimum $150 and I shop around. Men’s haircuts maybe $20 each. 

I really only know western suburbs well enough to comment I would choose a decent Govt. Primary school and go from there. Consider Chapel Hill, Sherwood, Graceville, Rainworth, Kenmore, Ironside. You’re coming up to high school very soon too. Consider Kenmore, Indooroopilly. 

Edited by Bonny

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, Bonny! This will help us to get started with a budget....

I see in my original post I also got mixed up with the monthly and weekly cost.

I changed your figures to monthly costs:

-Rent $2400 per month ($600x4)

-Food & groceries $1000 per month

-Transport maybe $200 a month?

-Phones $120 a month (2 adults)

-Internet $80 per month at least

-Electricity maybe $200 a month?

-Govnt school $375 (3kidsx1500peryear/12months)

TOTAL $4375/month for the bare necessities....

and not including: Netflix/entertainment/school clothes/haircuts/school outings/extra murals/insurance?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@forrie also remember $600pw rent is actually $600x52weeks divided by 12 months. So a total of $2600 per month. More than expected ;) 

Thanks Bonny!

This coming weekend I am in Brisbane. The family arrives later the year so Ive booked only a room until then.....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

We're still in SA and I'm considering a job offer in Brisbane for $100k. We're a family with two small kids and my wife won't work for at least the first few months.

Is that salary manageable?

The breakdown I've put together looks like this (per month):
Rent     $1 760
Groceries     $1 000
Life insurance     $800
Medical aid     $400
Public + one car $200
Elec          $150
Household Gas     $100
Insurance     $100
Internet      $100
Mobile          $80
Rego for car     $60
Water          $20

Any advice appreciated, its so difficult to make decisions in the dark (Eskom pun).

My concerns are the type of housing we'd be able to afford, my daily commute (Coronation Road in Milton)

Total so far: 57240 pa

PAYG Tax payable: $24496

Medicare Levy @ 2%: $2000 but as you will have private insurance this is exempted

Fuel cost: ??

Entertainment: ??

Personal expenses: ??

Net: $16264 pa

A quick sum shows that you'll be ok

You are close to what the Barefoot Investor apportionment suggestion looks like: your Blow portion should be ~60%; your Splurge portion ~10%; your Smile portion ~10%; your firefight/Exstinguisher portion 20%

9 hours ago, BreakerMorant said:

Medical aid     $400

You'll be fine on that.

I see that you're going for a 189 visa.  The good thing with this is that you have exactly 1 year from the date you land to get private medical (to avoid the medicare levy).  Medicare is more than enough and will cover you immediately for anything life threatening. 

+-$450 a week for rent in Brisbane should be enough.  

We've got a gas stove and hot water system, our gas is between $30 and $40 a month for a family of three.

Depending on your wifes earning potential, her working could either be a good or bad thing.  Daycare will set you back $106/day per child (some centres are more).  You do get up to a 50% rebate from government if she works 3 or more days a week, but even with 50% rebate you'd sit with an extra $530 expense each week.

just a few points:

1) $1000 for food is  bit light , maybe $1300

2) Add a portion for entertainment 

3) Get life cover with your Super (prov fund) much cheaper ,then  you can top it up with a 3rd party (will be much less than $800)

4) Med aid - give it a few months then get a basic hospital plan within 12 months of arriving  (to avoid front end loading) - you can upgrade later

5)Day care! Its our biggest expense after rent (we have two 4 your olds)  thank heavens they start kindy next year    - as @ChrisH mentioned there is a balance for your wife working or not. - the rebate is complicated and works on "activity hours" and then a % if based on your income -- but for budget work on 50% back (if your wife does not do any activities you get very little back)   

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 6:55 AM, Rossen said:

@TamTam, could you share your husband's budget excel sheet with us? We are also a family of three (my son is turning 1 in two weeks time) so I believe our budget should be similar to yours. Has your budget turned out to be realistic now that you have landed?

Could I ask the same as we are looking at making the move and I currently don't know what to expect or where to start.  I have two boys aged 14 and 10.

Thanks