School enrollement

veinkamerer

Hi all. We are currently waiting for our 489 visa to get granted. Could take up to 7 months still. Our son will be in grade 6 next year and our daughter grade 4 ( South Africa ). What would happen if we immigrate, lets say April-June 2018? Will they be able to be enrolled in a school and how will it affect them starting so late in the year. (keep in mind we are mostly Afrikaans speaking) Will they be able to adapt ? We are looking at public schools. 

• Like 1

Hi veinkamerer it's only natural for you to be worried about your kids, because that's usually the main reason many of us make this move. My kids are big now and we speak English at home, so I don't have first-hand experience of your exact worries.

However I can promise you that hundreds of Afrikaans children have adapted very well and quickly to Australian school life here. They will do ESL (English second language) classes I think. They will get a lot of extra help in the classroom. You will be amazed how quickly they start speaking with Australian accents, maybe within 3-4 months. 

Things you can do in the meantime- start to practice English with them, maybe around the dinner table, watching movies etc.

You can also start to ease them into Australian life. This may sound weird, but all Aussie kids carry water bottles, put on sunscreen every morning, and wear caps or hats. If you don't do this, you are 'different'. They very seldom drink fizzy drinks. They actually seem to

love drinking water. 

Depending which State you are going to, you can start to introduce some of the terms kids use. For example we don't say 'swimming costume ' ''takkies' or 'tippex' here at all. Kids also swim with a long sleeved top called a 'rashie' 😋 We don't say 'duvet' at all, we say 'doona' These are just some of the things my kids learnt fast! 

We were so worried we took our kids to Kumon for about 6 months before we moved. It does give you peace of mind that they are up to date, but it wasn't necessary. 

Don't stress, it will all be fine.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi veinkamerer

just checking how you are going and whether you’ve made the move to Aus yet? 

• 1 month later...

There are kids in my daughters school that couldn't speak ANY English (hey spoke Spanish, or Chinese) and they learnt within 3 months. They get extra English classes. Start now by renting every Disney movie under the sun - watch English movies with them and they will learn! Buy English cartoons or something else that they enjoy and start reading it with them. My daughter is in grade 5. Enrolling in your zone won't be a problem - public schools will accept you if you are in the school zone. The school let us decide whether to enroll our daughter in her grade or one lower (she enrolled in term 2 when we arrived) - I think they are flexible with migrants taking language into consideration (school principle depending - every school is not the same). They didn't ask for a report. They rather assessed her themselves and adjusted her homework levels and book levels according. 

The state schools tend to be very helpful with extra staff members for EAL kids. Obviously the younger the kids the easier it is. Glad to hear that the system is working well for your daughter, Mel-B

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

can anyone advise of the best state secondary/high schools in Shepparton please.

Edited by BBAUER
didnt mention if it was primay or high school

• 4 months later...

Could someone tell me, I will be in Canberra in March, on a Temporary Skill Shortage 482 Visa, will my 13 year old be able to attend a public school?

On 1/14/2019 at 10:18 PM, Frenzyt said:

Could someone tell me, I will be in Canberra in March, on a Temporary Skill Shortage 482 Visa, will my 13 year old be able to attend a public school?

Frenzyt your children can attend any school you like, but the question comes in whether you have to pay or not. It looks like the Subclass 482 depends on your profession. I found this link. 

https://www.education.act.gov.au/school_education/international_students/temporary_residents_and_dependants