The Answer - How much money do I need in Sydney (Also relevant to other cities)

Nev

8 hours ago, Bonny said:

Just to go a little off topic here (sorry), I have been watching quite a few tv programs about living in ‘tiny houses’ , mainly done to save money. Obviously it is bigger in the States but gaining a following in Aus.

I think it’s more difficult to make it work in Aus for various reasons. The main problem seems to be that you have to keep moving around to avoid the authorities. I wonder if a cheap caravan is ever viable?

The other big problem is that if you want to stay off the radar in a caravan you will need to go rural, causing problems with transport to work etc. If you are visibly living in a caravan someone will 100% dob you in. Any thoughts? 

Ah I love tiny houses. Almost started designing one for myself a couple of year ago.

The problem is where do you park them, its a problem in the US as well, they just don't show that n the tiny house TV shows. Generally people have to park them on some ones else's property, but if you don't know anyone who would let you set your house up in their yard you are pretty much stuck living in a caravan park.

• 1 month later...

na, living in a caravan is fine, lots of people do it

You just cannot stay in one national park for more 3 weeks at a time (That is in the park rules), so every three weeks we would pack up and move to a different national park / forest.

We also moved to a caravan park closer to the city when i had work and it wasn't often that i went for longer than 3 weeks without work

As a side, we have now moved to Pennant Hills (Much Closer to the city) still a 3 bedroom house, quite leafy suburb, 10 min walk to the train and rent is now 3k per month, i decided to spend and extra $1300 a month to take a bit over an hour a day in travelling by train, and a lot of time if i have to drive in, so for the people who are looking at this to budget and want to stay closer to the city, a bit over 15k per year onto by first numbers and we now stay close to the city

Cannot comment on Hobart or Sydney, but when we have been in the Kimberley's last year we noted that previous FIFO workers now stayed in the caravan park semi-permanently.

In fact the guy and his lady friend also had an en-suite which makes caravaning easier, he had his paddle skis, tinny & outboard etc plus massive double axle caravan.

In their case, they got picked up & drop off by a shuttle bus every day.

23 hours ago, Nev said:

still a 3 bedroom house, quite leafy suburb, 10 min walk to the train and rent is now 3k per month

😲😲😲

As a comparison, we lived in a 4 bedroom house in Mango Hill (about 30 - 45 minutes into the CBD) and paid $470 rent per week.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, ChrisH said:

😲😲😲

As a comparison, we lived in a 4 bedroom house in Mango Hill (about 30 - 45 minutes into the CBD) and paid $470 rent per week.

Aaa, was googling Mango Hill NSW, only to find its in Qld.  Thats the difference between Sydney and  Brisbane (and beyond). Chalk and cheese.  Luckily most of the time the pay packets reflect that too.

23 hours ago, rozellem said:

Luckily most of the time the pay packets reflect that too.

Not in my experience, the latest Hays salary surveys show pretty much a very similar range of salaries between Sydney and Brisbane: https://www.hays.com.au/cs/groups/hays_common/@au/@content/documents/digitalasset/hays_1309100.pdf

Obviously this will obviously differ per industry, but in the IT industry its pretty much on par.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah I have no idea why anyone wants to live somewhere with  200% more rent and 20% more salary. It would add decades to my working life in Sydney, to afford the same lifestyle in Brisbane straight away. So I pick Brisbane :) haha! Call me lazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brisbane is a fantastic place to live, the problem is it has a much smaller economy, so a lot of people struggle to find work

I would have loved to have moved back to Durban in RSA, but for me work was in Joburg, we actually moved from Brisbane to Sydney for work 

• Like 2