DIBP processing update 186/187 Employer Nominated PR visas

TeeTMI

Sharing an email I received from the DIBP relating to current (updated 16 November 2017 ) processing times for the Permanent Residence Employer Nominated Visas streams. 
(DIBP statement in italics).

'RSMS and ENS processing
RSMS and ENS processing times are currently being affected by a number of factors – including:

• the high on-hand RSMS/ENS caseload, which is further exacerbated by a particularly high number of lodgements in recent months (note: more than 16,000 applications were lodged in June 2017 alone, which is equivalent to approximately four months of average application lodgements)
  • there are increased levels of non-genuine applications or applications with integrity concerns which require a higher level of scrutiny and
  • incomplete visa application lodgements.

At no point in time has processing stopped on these cases and the Department is continuing to work through the on-hand caseload as fast as possible.
Note: Applications lodged more recently may be allocated for assessment ahead of older applications to facilitate more efficient processing of the pipeline and reduce processing times.'

I suspect that a lot of people who were impacted by the April changes are trying to secure permanent residence/submit a visa application before the March 2018 changes come into force. 

For information I have copied in the current processing times reported by the DIBP (updated 16 November 2017 ):
186 Visa:
Temporary Residence Transition stream  75% of applications processed within  8 Months   90% within  10 Months

Direct Entry stream  75% of applications processed within  9 Months   90% within  15 Months
187 Visa:

Temporary Residence Transition stream  75% of applications processed within  8 Months   90% within  9 Months
Direct Entry stream  75% of applications processed within  15 Months   90% within  18 Months

Whilst visa processing times can increase and decrease over time depending upon a variety of factors i
t appears that the processing times are unlikely to reduce at any time in the near future.
Edited by TeeTMI

• 8 months later...

Hi TeeTMI, 

I'm looking for some information, please?  I am in the process of applying for a 186 visa, using the temporary residents transition route with employer nomination.  My immigration lawyers tell me that the Employer nomination application alone will take between 6 and 7 months to process, and this needs to be approved before we can lodge my application.  I cannot find anything on the Home Affairs web site that refers to processing times for the employer application.  It doesn't sound right to me.  People I know have had this process completed within a matter of 2 weeks, admittedly this was a few years ago.  What is your opinion?

Many thanks!

Hi there TimetoGo,

For a SC186 TRT visa you do not need to wait for a successful nomination before you can submit the visa application.  In fact it is common practice to submit the visa application directly after submitting the Nomination.  Please note though if the nomination is refused (which is common these days) you will not get a refund of your visa application fee.  If there is no visa expiry deadline perhaps your agent is playing it safe?  I suggest you chat to them.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hi TMI / Stephen,

The link to the Home affairs website doesn't help at all.  There is no reference there to the length of time they will take to process the employer nomination.

Stephen, your response is more helpful.  Yes, it is possible that my lawyers are playing it safe.  It would be helpful if anyone has experience in this matter, as to how long I could realistically expect to wait for the Employer nomination to be processed, in the current climate?

Thanks all!

On 8/9/2018 at 6:59 PM, TimeToGo said:

I am in the process of applying for a 186 visa, using the temporary residents transition route with employer nomination.

1 hour ago, TimeToGo said:

There is no reference there to the length of time they will take to process the employer nomination.

The employer nomination visa processing time is on the table that Tee linked to

186 Employer Nomination Scheme Temporary Residence Transition 12 months 13 months

Are you perhaps asking about a different part of the process then?

Hi RYLC,

Yes, the employer nomination application is a separate application that needs to be approved as well.  The nomination would need to be accepted by the DIBP before they will consider your visa application.  See Stephen’s reply to my question.  It seems that in most cases the visa application and the employer nomination are submitted at the same time.  However, if the employer nomination is rejected, your visa application will also be rejected.  

Just as a matter of interest, I think my lawyers are also concerned about the lapsing of time.  They dont want me to apply for police clearances or medicals until we the employer nomination is approved, as these could lapse, since they are only valid for one year. 

Edited by TimeToGo
Grammer

The Nomination generally takes a very similar time to the visa application.  Many people will lodge the Nomination and the Application at the same time - however it does come with risks if for example the Nomination is refused. 

There are pros and cons to different application strategies depending upon the employer and visa applicants circumstances.  You mention you already using an immigration lawyer, perhaps have a chat with them, they should be able to provide you with a broad overview and their approach.

Edited by TeeTMI