Bring the weber?

TamTam

Good afternoon/morning all

I have a weber braai that I would like to bring with however as much as I try it's not really coming shiny new kind of clean. I've scrubbed and used an assortment of cleaners and LOTS of elbow grease. So is it better just to buy a new one before I leave. It costs around the same conversion wise for me if I buy a new one here or there...

I bought a Weber in Oz. Used it for a couple of years and then got pissed off with it taking 3 hours to get the heat just right and then having it die halfway through my braai. Once you switch to gas your Weber will be out on the pavement waiting some other sucker to try it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TamTam said:

Good afternoon/morning all

I have a weber braai that I would like to bring with however as much as I try it's not really coming shiny new kind of clean. I've scrubbed and used an assortment of cleaners and LOTS of elbow grease. So is it better just to buy a new one before I leave. It costs around the same conversion wise for me if I buy a new one here or there...

Save yourself the shipping and buy a new one when you get here.... It'll give you something to do while you wait for the rest of your belongings to arrive...

• Like 1

Thanks @Titus and @SimpleSimon - I've convinced hubby it's not worth spending hours in the cold to get it clean and just get a new one.

15 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

Once you switch to gas your Weber will be out on the pavement

:o As Jan Braai said in his book.... "'n gas is iemand wat jy nooi na jou braai, nie waarmee jy braai nie"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Who has time or the inclination to set up a wood  or charcoal braai. I add the stones which give the smokey flavour and my steaks and chicken taste just as good if not better.

I resigned from the flat earth society many moons ago.

That’s the thing about living in Australia, you learn to do things quicker, more productively and with much less labour. Why do you think houses are built with brick exterior and plasterboard interior.

• Haha 1

With "clean" it just has to be clean - not look like new.  Normal wear & tear is OK.

• Like 3

We brought ours over. Well used but clean - save a couple of $. 

We build a fire every weekend and relax next to the fire with a glass of red in winter or white in summer. Nothing comes close to the smell of a wood fire... 

We also have a gas Weber for the quick braai's but prefer the wood fire if we have time, and usually we make time...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

quicker, more productively and with much less labour

I think it's the whole process that my husband enjoys - if it was ready to quickly I think he would feel robbed.

That said I personally prefer a gas braai and have suggested we have both.

How do you make the time?

With kids, a business to run, pets to sort out, a bit of gardening, some sport, any spare time and I’m heading to the beach.

You know what they say about guys with a braai/bbq fetish .... same thing they say about middle aged guys with sports cars .... hey that’s me.

Did I also mention that l make my biltong in a food dehydrator? 1.5 days and it’s done. I hear jaws dropping across 2 continents.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

How do you make the time?

With kids, a business to run, pets to sort out, a bit of gardening, some sport, any spare time and I’m heading to the beach.

You know what they say about guys with a braai/bbq fetish .... same thing they say about middle aged guys with sports cars .... hey that’s me.

Oh I agree with you - I prefer the efficiency of gas. But I have learned where not to push the issue. At least he will compromise by getting a baby gas grill too!

21 hours ago, Kodplessis said:

We also have a gas Weber for the quick braai's but prefer the wood fire if we have time, and usually we make time...

Definitely agreed, we have both too.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Midweek and how about some BBQ chops? 10 minutes later they’re cooking.

A5179D46-BACF-4A70-AE59-EE996DDABDB3.jpeg

Mmmm mmmm

Hahahaha...to each their own. If you like the process of setting up a braai, bring your Weber it's fine!
If you want it done faster, ditch your Weber and buy gas this side.

Do what makes you happy.

Here's the result - deliciousChops.thumb.png.bf211f46a20c8904edb27176e1ed037d.png

Tried to completely delete this post but discovered I can't. Apologies. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

5 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

Tried to completely delete this post but discovered I can't. Apologies. 

But you can ask Admin to hide it for you? ;) 

17 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

Here's the result - delicious

But you can barely see what's happening on the Bushman TV....

• Haha 1

We scrubbed our Weber and bought it along.

On 21/11/2017 at 10:03 PM, SimpleSimon said:

Did I also mention that l make my biltong in a food dehydrator? 1.5 days and it’s done. I hear jaws dropping across 2 continents.

I'd be interested in knowing how thin/thick you cut the meat before dehydrating?

I buy rump steaks (one of the cheapest cuts) from Woolworths and cut them in half. They’re sliced to 2 - 3 cm already. I tried cut up a full rump but that was too much PT. 

• Like 1

As a postscript to my barbie (correct Australian term) the other night, here is one of our local Australians enjoying leftovers. 

She didn't seem to mind that it was "braai-ed" by an ex-South African on a gas BBQ. (Is that a contradiction in terms?)

An important Australian term to learn "we're cooking with gas". And the reason I don't have time to make wood or charcoal braai's is that "I'm flat out like a lizard drinking" and "I'm busier than a one-eyed snake watching 2 rat holes". But at least I don't have "a couple of kangaroos loose in the top paddock"..... I think.

Galah eating chop - small.JPG

Edited by SimpleSimon
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I buy rump steaks (one of the cheapest cuts) from Woolworths and cut them in half. They’re sliced to 2 - 3 cm already. I tried cut up a full rump but that was too much PT. 

Thanks Simon, much appreciated. 

Back to the Weber - we had some black paint (I think it was a special type?????) that we used to touch up any places where we may have scrubbed the paint away - also used on some tent pegs. 

They do the non-gas Weber's here you might compare the cost of size in your packed belongings / time scrubbing to the cots of buying one new?   Bunnings web site can probably provide a price.