Tasmania 190 Visa

Duggen

Hi all,

I have been living in Melbourne for the past yea and a bit on a 457 visa. However, given the recent changes to the 457 visa I am worried about my chances of being able to transition onto a PR visa.

However, my Skill (Financial Investment Advisor) is on Tasmania's skill list and according to the state's migration website I may be able to apply for a 190 visa if I meet the following requirements.

Category 2 – Working in Tasmania

To be considered for this category you must meet the following criteria:

• working in Tasmania for three months immediately prior to your application for state nomination. (would be met)
  • employment needs to be highly relevant to your nominated occupation (would be met)
  • at least 35 hours per week in one full-time job or in two or more part-time jobs (Would be met)
  • able to provide evidence of your employment claims (see Document Checklist – Employment for more details) (would be met)

The employer you are employed with must have been actively operating their business in Tasmania for the past 12 months. There needs to be a genuine need for your position within the business. This may be satisfied if there is:

• an existing, current and genuine need for your position within the business (Assume this would be met as I would already be working in the role)
  • an ongoing need for your position and the capacity for the business to sustain the nominated position (Unsure on this as it would only be a 12 month contract)

My question is this, I am feeling fairly positive about securing a 1 year contract in Tasmania but as it is only a 1 year contract would the red highlighted section be a problem?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Hello Duggen,

I believe if the business has been operating in Tasmania for a number of years and is a reasonable size then you should be able to meet the last point.  If it is a small new business then you may have issues.

Either way I recommend you contact the Tasmanian sponsorship team directly and ask them for their view.

Regards

Great, thanks for the advice. It is a large well established company so that should be fine.

Thanks!