CSP for permanent residents

Husky

Please tell me this means that permanent residents qualify for CSP studies? 

I understand that the proposed changes to study assistance (CSP) for permanent residents went before parliament last week and was blocked (see article from 19/10). If the higher education bill is passed at a later stage, then permanent resident students can apply for fee HELP loans. Think this is only for first time students. My daughter has applied for uni in Melbourne starting 2018, so hoping for a CSP place or at the least assistance with a loan. Very grateful that the Australian government will help in some way #loveaustralia 

@TeeTMI Any feedback on this?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/19/coalition-appalled-at-nxt-decision-to-block-28bn-in-higher-education-cuts

It's probably best to contact the university you have applied at because no matter what any of us know/think, the actual university is the ones who will tell you how much you need to pay and whether it is a Commonwealth Supported Position or not.

We also have a child starting Uni next year. As far as I understand the new citizenship rules that did not get the support of parliament means that we still qualify for csp for next year but not Help. As they are only planning on tabling the ammended citizenship bill in July 2018 if you are already enrolled any changes wont affect you.  Hoping I am right. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

StudyAssist.gov.au have not updated their FAQs page to reflect the above. They do specify thought that the answers to the FAQs are subject to the passing of legislation.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/StudyAssist/HelpfulResources/Documents/Final Student FAQs.pdf

Does anyone have a more up to date link?