Differences between 489 family sponsor OR state nomination

JTurley

Hi lovely peeps,

I have been in discussion with an agent and we will get clarity at an assessment but hoping for some help.

Just in case i don't score 79's on PTE for 20 points for our 189 we are hoping to fall back on the 489 BUT sponsored by family.

I get a little confused as many have told me conflicting facts;

I'm aware if you want STATE NOMINATION on a 489 you will need to be invited by the state and fulfill the states requirements. Queensland has a separate skilled list (QSOL). Your skill must be on this list and you must meet work experience requirements and then only will the state (QLD)  invite/nominate you.

BUT...from my understanding if your family member who lives in a designated area sponsors you , you do not need to fulfill the requirements of the state but you need family sponsorship proof and a skill on the SOL , IS THIS CORRECT?

I've read and heard opposing views. Is anyone in QLD on a family sponsored visa who can share their experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello There,

If you submit an EOI for a SC489 Family sponsored visa then your sponsoring relative must live in a designated part of Australia and your occupation must be on the MLTSOL (the old SOL).  You then do not need to meet any of the state sponsorship requirements.  The issue is that SC489 visa invites take forever (if at all) to be issued.

I would recommend you keep trying to secure 20 points for English as this is a far better option.

Regards

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi @JTurley thank you for sharing. I hope all went well with your invitation.

I'm in the same situation at the moment, and have been waiting for 3 months just to receive an invite for family sponsorship. How long did they take to issue you with an invitation to apply?

Many thanks

Melvin

• 3 weeks later...

Put our application on hold till 2019. But I have been monitoring the invites and I see for the last year or so only approx 10 FS 489s get invites on each round, with 80 plus points. How many points do you have Melvin?

On 11/29/2018 at 10:54 PM, Melvin2705 said:

Hi @JTurley thank you for sharing. I hope all went well with your invitation.

I'm in the same situation at the moment, and have been waiting for 3 months just to receive an invite for family sponsorship. How long did they take to issue you with an invitation to apply?

Many thanks

Melvin

In the October round of invitations for the Family Sponsored 489 visas - invitations were provided to applicants with 80+ points who had been waiting in the pool since 20/06/2018. 

The wait varies over time depending upon who is in the pool - but if memory serves me right I do not think it went below 80 points this year?  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 9:43 PM, JTurley said:

Put our application on hold till 2019. But I have been monitoring the invites and I see for the last year or so only approx 10 FS 489s get invites on each round, with 80 plus points. How many points do you have Melvin?

HI @JTurley thank you so much for your response. To be honest, i am so discouraged by this whole process at the moment. 

Sadly our point score is only 65, 😔 . I could try and get a better score at my English test,  but that will only increase our score up to 75 which is still lower than the 80 point minimum score, as suggested in previous posts. 

I am currently re thinking out whole stategy and think i would be better off just to go for the regional sponsorship visa. Stick it out for the two years, and then apply for PR after that. What do you think? 

My apologies for the late response to your post, i was just sticking it out for the last couple of months  hoping by now i would have received feedback.  Sadly no feedback up until time of this post.  

Once again many thanks for your time, it is very much appreciated. 

Kind Regards

Melvin. 

• Like 1