What to and what not to take

RCJames

So we are probably moving in Jan, just need to fix up house and sell. I am wondering what we should take and what to leave behind.

Things I am thinking of taking with is:

1x Solid Oak TV cabinet, varnished.

Home Theater Setup

Playstations

Freezer <-- Used for making beer.

Beer Fementers.

Dell Server

Server Cabinet/s

Network cables

Hard Drives

Queen Sized bed extra length

Curtains with Block Out.

Washing Machine.

Books

Some kids Toys

Please let me know your thoughts on any of the items :-)

You won me over at “beer fermenters”. Sorry, I don’t remember anything else.

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, SimpleSimon said:

You won me over at “beer fermenters”. Sorry, I don’t remember anything else.

:-) yeah, practicing my beer making skills before I come over!

I'll give you my thoughts on each, as far as I have thoughts... ;) 

1x Solid Oak TV cabinet, varnished - No issue with customs. Think about space once you're here

Home Theatre Setup- Sure, why not? Ask yourself if you would buy your system(if you didn't have one) for the price it'll cost to ship, that'll answer your question. Keep in mind that the DVD player will be for the wrong region, although if you have a collection of DVDs then they will also be for the wrong region. Blu-rays are region free/the same region if I'm not mistaken. But stand alone DVD players are not that expensive.

Playstations- same as above. However I don't know if they have regions like DVD players

Freezer <-- Used for making beer- Home brewing is big here, for sure. I just don't know anything about the gear needed to do it

Beer Fementers- same as above

Dell Server-..

Server Cabinet/s-..

Network cables-..sounds like you have a specific setup that you are considering bringing over "as is"? If you can change the layout easily to suit a different house, sure. Have a look on Gumtree, but the Australian one gumtree.com.au to see what second hand gear is selling for, this might help you to gauge the Australian worth of these items.

Hard Drives- Sure!

Queen Sized bed extra length- Measure your bed and mattress, and compare that to the online sizing here. If it matches the Aussie Queen (which it might, since they have different sizes to RSA) bring it over, otherwise you are setting yourself up for endless irritations every time you want to buy sheets, or if you ever need to replace your mattress. After bringing our own odd-size bed over, I would not recommend others to follow suit.

Curtains with Block Out- if it's really important to you, perhaps. Almost all houses in Melbourne come with curtains/blinds as fixtures in the house, whether renting or buying.

Washing Machine- we brought ours, no problems. Once again look at age and condition and ask if you would buy it back at the cost of shipping. Also look on Gumtree, appliances sell for crazy cheap if they are second hand.

Books- ah...uhm...shuffles around nervously trying to hide the wall of books we shipped :lol:  Same as above, would you buy back your collection for the price of shipping?

Some kids Toys- I've read that it helps kids to have familiar things once they are over here. We don't have children, so I don't really know.

That's my 5c ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Books- ah...uhm...shuffles around nervously trying to hide the wall of books we shipped :lol:  Same as above, would you buy back your collection for the price of shipping?

We are shipping most of our books, we both love reading and collecting books so we are shipping 700+ books. Like @RedPanda said, would you spend the shipping cost to buy it, also for us it will cost allot more to replace our collection, so it comes with. 

• Like 2

Thanks @Fidjet and @RedPandaI hear what you say about cost of bring over or selling here and replacing over there, my thing is that I have branded equipment like Marantz which wont sell well here and then replacing would just cost an arm and a leg. Im thinking of getting a cube or 2, looked at the price and see it costs around +- R 30000 for both, all the stuff I want to bring costs more than that so in my opinion its a no brainer :-)

I read somewhere that Queen extra length here is  the same as standard queen there, just thinking if I am going to get a cube or 2, may as well fill it :-)

• Like 1

We brought everything we had. In the cost benefit analysis you also have to factor in how good it feels to unwrap your own stuff. It far outweighs a couple thousand $$$.

Over the years we replaced everything - technology gets superseded, furniture gets tired, books never read again go to the salvos - but man it was great to have it at the start.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RCJames said:

Thanks @Fidjet and @RedPandaI hear what you say about cost of bring over or selling here and replacing over there, my thing is that I have branded equipment like Marantz which wont sell well here and then replacing would just cost an arm and a leg. Im thinking of getting a cube or 2, looked at the price and see it costs around +- R 30000 for both, all the stuff I want to bring costs more than that so in my opinion its a no brainer :-)

I read somewhere that Queen extra length here is  the same as standard queen there, just thinking if I am going to get a cube or 2, may as well fill it :-)

Seems like it’s fine to ship then ;) 

I am serious about measuring your bed and looking up the numbers. It’ll cost you $20 to take your mattress to the tip yourself. And if it’s an odd size, nobody will buy it, so that’s what you’ll probably end up doing. Rather measure now, than ship and toss.

Most things are fine, since Australia graciously chose to also use 220-240V 50Hz for their power supply :D  Replacement plugs are readily available, just do a neat job.

21 hours ago, RedPanda said:

11 hours ago, Fidjet said:

We are shipping most of our books, we both love reading and collecting books so we are shipping 700+ books. Like @RedPanda said, would you spend the shipping cost to buy it, also for us it will cost allot more to replace our collection, so it comes with. 

Glad to see we were not the only ones.

I had started getting rid of books, then after getting some idea of the cost we worked out what the cost was for different items.  Worked out that the cost to bring a single book was insignificant and so the useful ones that we liked to have around came with.

Really glad we did - I would have missed them.   

• Like 1

I have some science textbooks going back to the 70’s and 80’s. They’re totally obsolete but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. I’m hoping they become collectors items in time for people asking “what did scientists imagine before the atom and DNA was discovered?”

• Haha 2

You should keep them. Pretty soon we'll have everything digital, and then we start the slippery-reality scenario :lol: Nobody can edit a printed book (without leaving evidence :ph34r:)

12 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I have some science textbooks going back to the 70’s and 80’s. They’re totally obsolete but I can’t bring myself to get rid of them. I’m hoping they become collectors items in time for people asking “what did scientists imagine before the atom and DNA was discovered?”

LOL, my turn to be glad it's not just me. We got a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica (40 odd books) from my Grandparent, completely obsolete now but we cant get it over our hearts to get rid of it. They are leather backed and look SO nice in the bookcase. 

@RCJamesJust check to see if the matrices will fit in the move cube, the ones we looked at was too small to fit our Queen Extra length. One more reason to measure your actual matrice ;-P

Edited by Fidjet
  • Like 1

Ditto. Think at least a third of our move cube will be boxes of books. I have a set of classics from my grandfather who made notes on the pages when something interested him. Priceless. 

• Like 1

My mom has left me her piano in her will. A few years ago we bought an 1850s upright piano for $150. We thought we’d got the bargain of the year. When we decided to sell it, we got $5 for it and the ad cost $15. Fortunately my mom hasn’t yet departed this mortal coil.7

Hi, my 5c: just remember that it might take a while for your MoveCube to reach you from South Africa. We packed ours on 14 June in Cape Town and unpacked it on 15 September in Melbourne. They don't book a ship until they have enough cubes to fill a container, that took 1 month for us and then the ship was delayed etc. etc. It worked out perfectly for us in the end as we were house-sitting anyway. But if you need your washing machine or your freezer and it is still floating to Aus, then finding a second hand one or buying one here, as RedPanda suggested, might be an alternative. If you are speaking of a container, then the timing might be different - we didn't send over a container. But yes, there is nothing quite like unpacking your own things...the kids were over the moon to get their toys and other items back again. It was like Christmas in September! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been putting my own buy list together to make up a setting budget in Australia. 

Thought you might find this link about mattress sizes useful. http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes

It's also worth mentioning that it's not just the short term problem of, "can I get linen in Australia that will fit?"; it's also," if I bring my bed frame and mattress over, will it fit a bigger mattress / Can I get the correct size matress as and when I need to replace it?" 

• Like 1

@CazK sorry to hijack the thread a little - you said you were house-sitting when you first arrived. Did you housesit for friends/family, or did you go on one of those house-sitters' websites?

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2017 at 11:29 AM, RCJames said:

Beer Fementers.

Did you take your Beer Fermenters with? I have a home brew kit and was going to take it with in the container but was unsure what Customs would say....

Hey we have not left yet, just waiting to sell our house, but Im pretty certain if you sterilise everything properly you will be okay, worse they can do is confer-skate. I will definitely take mine with when we pack up.

@RCJames I think (I may be wrong) that even for confiscation you will be charged a fee :huh:

on that note - how do I find out what a fumigation or confiscation fee would amount to??

13 hours ago, TamTam said:

@RCJames I think (I may be wrong) that even for confiscation you will be charged a fee :huh:

Yes you will be charged a fee for fumigation or a slightly lesser fee to have the item destroyed.  Nothing for free otherwise poepole would just bring their junk and let Australia decide what to let in. The inspection people said that they really like containers from RSA because generally everything is clean. They were less complimentary about containers from some countries. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, RCJames said:

Hey we have not left yet, just waiting to sell our house, but Im pretty certain if you sterilise everything properly you will be okay, worse they can do is confer-skate. I will definitely take mine with when we pack up.

I packed mine in, just made sure it was nice and clean. Our container cleared Customs/Quarantine last week and was delivered on Tuesday this week! 

No problems from Quarantine inspection, they did check it though as we could see the packaging was opened. We even brought tents/ camping/ 4wd stuff :)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, RedPanda said:

Home Theatre Setup- Sure, why not? Ask yourself if you would buy your system(if you didn't have one) for the price it'll cost to ship, that'll answer your question. Keep in mind that the DVD player will be for the wrong region, although if you have a collection of DVDs then they will also be for the wrong region. Blu-rays are region free/the same region if I'm not mistaken. But stand alone DVD players are not that expensive.

DVD players are easily reset to 'no region', just google your make and model and you will find what you need to do.  I work at a school and they couldn't play dvd's they had ordered online, a quick search and I sorted them out!