Adelaide Schools! Help!

HJL

Hi all.

Would love some feedback from as many people as possible who are in Adelaide and have or have had kids go through the schooling system here. Also..any teachers in Adelaide out there who can give me feedback from that perspective too. We've been here for a few months and would be keen for any valuable been there done that info. 

Also don't mind about what area in Adelaide. Any info would be great!

So...

1) good and bad schools that you may have had experience with in Adelaide from your children going there perspective.

2) Adelaide Teachers perspective of great places to teach or where you would send your own kids.

Thanks in advance!

Have a read of this thread: I was able to get some recommendations from Saffa families on a Facebook group so the thread should give you a rough short list of schools.

Thanks so much @RYLC. I have gone through that link and found some useful info. I would really be interested in any more comments people could make. I think being a teacher myself makes me see things through a slightly different lense. My exposure so far here has been somewhat different to what I'm used to in a variety of ways. Some positive, some not as positive. 

As any parent is, I just want to line up our kids in a place that will give them the best we can offer them and not make an error due to just not knowing enough.

And also keen to know where the nice schools to work at are!

Thanks again for your input!

I think the level of detailed information you are looking for can only come from visiting schools yourself. They all have open days and tour days so book into the ones around you and have a look around. The reason I suggest this is that choosing a school is such a subjective thing. For example: some Saffa friends moved to our school. Her child had the teacher we had had the previous year. The teacher was not right for my child and my child had issues of his own too. It was not a good combination. My friend asked whether I thought her child would be okay with this teacher. Honestly I didn't know. Turns out that her child thrived with this teacher's methods and it was successful for them. There is no knowing beforehand. I'm guessing you want to pick the "best" school for your kids and that just isn't possible. Kids change, staff change and sometimes what was once a great school becomes a not so great school (and visa versa). As for great schools to teach in, start off with relief teaching to get a feel. You more or less have to take your chances like we all do in any career. 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

Hi HJL

Choosing a school is a very personal decision. It all depends on your child and what is the best fit for your family.

We were unsure of which area we wanted to settle in when we first arrived, so had to consider the school zoning. We chose a public primary school, which was not zoned. Our son has been very happy there and he has made some lovely friends. It is a short drive from home and work. Go and have a look at the schools, attend the school tour days and research the schools values, to find the best fit for your family.

Being a teacher, myself, having done relief teaching in a number of private and Catholic schools in Adelaide, I would be happy working at any of these and sending our son to them. I have not worked in any public schools yet, as I have been working through an agency, which only deals with private and Catholic schools. As far as public high schools go, I think there are some that are rated better than others. I found it useful to ask around and get ideas and perspectives from people who have lived here longer than us, and perhaps went to some of the schools when they were younger.  Knowing others' opinions of schools, I could formulate my own ideas of what would suit our son and our family. 

Hope this info helps a bit.

Thanks so much @Soon2BOz. Any chance you feel okay to share where abouts you guys are based? West, south, east, north? And if that's the same part of Adelaide that you do TRT work? I'm really trying to get a feel for things here with no local knowledge it's good to get whatever knowledge you can. So appreciate the reply! 

Sure thing, we are in Unley. Our son goes to Mitcham Primary School.

I have done work in Glenelg, Pennington, Prospect, Goodwood and Rose Park. 

Happy to answer more questions if you need, if I can.

I feel your pain, I felt so lost in the beginning. It is such a lovely feeling to be able to navigate around the place without always using GPS!! 

What ages do you teach?

Have you registered as a teacher here?