Finding work in Australia

Lili0905

My husband and I have decided to immigrate to Aus and I am currently waiting on the results of my skills application. (secondary school teacher).  I am concerned about finding work once we get there.  Would it be advisable to start looking for a teaching job now already?  Where can I look?

Welcome to the journey...

Regarding your question: it would not be advisable to start looking for a job yet.  Well you can try if you want but question number one is "Are you eligible to work in Australia? So an automatic no and you can see where this is going. Just work through the steps to get your visa first and then start on jobs.  Putting the cart before the horse will just be frustrating/fruitless. The waiting period for the visa can be frustrating too but you can use the time to declutter your house, see the parts of RSA on your bucket list etc.

• Like 1

Thank you @RYLC. Yes the waiting process is terribly frustrating...and being a person who likes to "plan ahead", I am already stressing about things that I probably should not worry about yet. #canneverbetooprepared :rolleyes:  It's just such a big move, and we aren't even 100% sure where we'd like to go yet...I guess anywhere we can find work :)

@Karools thank you.  Are you teaching in Aus yet?  As soon as I (hopefully) get positive feedback regarding  my skills application, and get the process for Visa going, I'd like to start looking for work as soon as I can.  I've heard that I'd have to write a test/ register to be a teacher in Aus (similar to Sace in SA, I presume?), but I've also heard that the requirements are different in every state?  

No we are flying 10 december, starting first job the first term next year in rural queensland. (Rural a good bet for finding work from RSA, if you are into small town living. Rural aus is NOT like rural RSA, luckily...)

Yes need to register with state institute, similar to sace. No tests needed, just things like academic record, qualifications, reference letter, police clearance etc. Each state has it's own institute, but most of them are very similar, except for NSW where you need to jump through a lot of hoops to get in, including a face-to-face interview.

All the best!