Job offer with 189 visa in progress

AC2017

Question

Does receiving a job offer accelerate the application process? My visa is currently being assessed but the has been for the last four months. I have a potential job...would a firm offer accelerate the application process. Or should the employer apply for a 457 in the interim. Thanks

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

no it doesn't.

The issue with applying for another visa while the initial visa is been assessed is that it is this last visa issued that is the substantive visa, not the one that gives you the most rights.

For an employer to be able to to sponsor a 457 visa a lot of things have to happen. It can be quite daunting for an employer that has not done it before.

• Like 1

@20yearsooutofrsa thanks for the reply. This is frustrating as I will likely have a firm offer but then who knows how long my 189 visa will takes. Its only been four months and the current processing time is up to 11 months for 75% of applications....

On 25/08/2017 at 3:03 PM, 20yearsoutofrsa said:

no it doesn't.

The issue with applying for another visa while the initial visa is been assessed is that it is this last visa issued that is the substantive visa, not the one that gives you the most rights.

For an employer to be able to to sponsor a 457 visa a lot of things have to happen. It can be quite daunting for an employer that has not done it before.

thanks for the reply. This is frustrating as I will likely have a firm offer but then who knows how long my 189 visa will takes. Its only been four months and the current processing time is up to 11 months for 75% of applications....

Hi all, so to add to this question. I am also waiting for my 189 but I am due to fly to Aus in late October to get some things sorted. If my 189 is not processed by then (because it is with the Brisbane office and they seem to not be as generous as the Adelaide office) is it possible to get a 3 months visitor Visa. Will the visitor Visa then also override the 189?

I know I wont be allowed to work on a visitor Visa but I will atleast be able to use my flight ticket and be able to sign the relevant docs at the company that wants to employ me.

Edited by AdriaanSanta

1 hour ago, AdriaanSanta said:

Hi all, so to add to this question. I am also waiting for my 189 but I am due to fly to Aus in late October to get some things sorted. If my 189 is not processed by then (because it is with the Brisbane office and they seem to not be as generous as the Adelaide office) is it possible to get a 3 months visitor Visa. Will the visitor Visa then also override the 189?

I know I wont be allowed to work on a visitor Visa but I will atleast be able to use my flight ticket and be able to sign the relevant docs at the company that wants to employ me.

Do you have a job lined up already?  I know the first thing HR wanted to see for me was my actual 189 visa so finding work without it might be hard. 

I am basically quitting my job at our RSA office and then being employed by our Sydney office. In essence I am not being transferred but re-employed.

4 hours ago, AdriaanSanta said:

2 hours ago, AdriaanSanta said:

I am basically quitting my job at our RSA office and then being employed by our Sydney office. In essence I am not being transferred but re-employed.

I'm not sure if you would be allowed to signed employment documents on a tourist visa. I think you should just check this out before doing the whole trip, especially if it could come back and bite you with the application for your 189 visa. You don't want to accidentally breach your visa conditions. Rather check it, either on the DIBP website, or ask a migration agent.

Good day all. Just to reopen this topic: wife and I applied for 189 visa November 2018, CO request for employment records and spouse maiden PCC Feb 2019, we are now waiting for a response. During this time, I have been interviewing with a company that offers relocation and they are going to make me an offer. Not sure on what the details of the offer will be (caveat for not getting visa, expected timeline, etc.) but is there any way I can speed up the 189 or are there any alternatives that will not override my 189 application?

I had a similar situation - 190 application lodged at pretty much the same time as 457 (now 482, I think) temporary work visa. The biggest threat is if your 189 comes through before the temp visa, and then the temp visa comes through before you cancel it, and it overrides your 189. The 189 is the golden ticket in visas, but the last visa you receive is the valid one - so any other visa you get will cancel the 189.

Having said that, the chances are pretty slim - you can cancel the temp visa online as far as I know.

Are you using an agent? Or will the visa notification come directly to you? 

If the company you're interviewing with offers to sponsor a temp work visa for you, make sure they understand that you may have to cancel the visa application at short notice and that they'll have to help you do that to not jeopardise your PR.

Thank you so much @Tntaglia this is really helpful. Do you know how long it takes to get a temporary work visa? We are not using an agent, so the email will come directly to me.

I'll update on this thread once I get the offer, I'm hoping that since they understand the situation they will not mind waiting 2 to 3 months longer for the PR... That being said, I will probably start the temp work visa discussions after a month or so if there is no luck with my PR. I'm also going to phone immigration on Monday and explain the situation to see if they have advice to offer and are able to let me know the progress (although I know they will tell me to look on my account) 

Jumping on the band wagon now! Do 189 visas take 11 months to process? 

50 minutes ago, NastashaBrandsma said:

Jumping on the band wagon now! Do 189 visas take 11 months to process? 

The official timelines for 189 visas are 6-7 months at the moment. But this is just a guideline. Many receive their grants at about 4 months while some take longer than a year to receive their 189 grants.