Having a moment.... Spiders

MichKen

OMG...that is just terrifying! I had a major freak out when my grandkids persuaded me to ride on a ghost train at a theme park and the fake spiders webs were enough to cause a major panic!

Here is a link from the I'm a celebrity, get me out of here (South African jungle!)...this is terrifying

5 hours ago, Pell said:

You should visit the Sydney Royal Botanical Gardens. They have an alley where you walk under a cuppola made of orb spider webs, complete with all size orb spiders. I instantly broke into a sweat, and literally stopped breathing until was on the other side of the alley. That sight cannot be unseen, believe me.

I would have the exact same reaction, but would probably turn and run in the opposite direction at the first sight of a web or spider.  Thanks for the heads up will not be visiting there any time soon.

Ok, jokes aside, spiders are really not an issue coming to Australia from South Africa. If you were coming here from England, sure "Be Afraid, be very afraid" because Australia actually has some deadly spiders. But if you've grown up knowing about "button spiders" and violin spiders, and the real possibility that you might see a rain spider, or a baboon spider, then you are adequately prepared and need not worry about it too much. Really. 

• Thanks 1

@RedPanda , I wish that were the case with me. Sadly, I will never be "adequately prepared". Seen rain spiders, baboon spiders, violin spiders, been bitten by a spider (I didn't see/feel it happen, luckily) that left me with a small hole in my leg, and I will still not be adequately prepared. Funny enough, I'm not scared of snakes, and as a child I was bitten by a small non-venomous snake. 

Edited by Pell

No worries @Pell. You don't have to go out and chase them, or start a fad in spider photography :P 

I'm just saying, Australia's spider situation is no worse than South Africa's. If the spiders in RSA scare you, the ones here will too. But I personally don't think there are more spiders here. If you want a totally spider-free environment you can always try Antarctica :D 

...jump in, our water is fine ;) 

Edited by RedPanda
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Ok, jokes aside, spiders are really not an issue coming to Australia from South Africa. If you were coming here from England, sure "Be Afraid, be very afraid" because Australia actually has some deadly spiders. But if you've grown up knowing about "button spiders" and violin spiders, and the real possibility that you might see a rain spider, or a baboon spider, then you are adequately prepared and need not worry about it too much. Really. 

@RedPanda that actually does help me.  My phobia originated with a close encounter with a baboon spider as a child, and from there living in PE with the bird spiders in my res room it grew (waking up with one sitting above you is just traumatic) since then in Jhb, I regularly wake up to a massive rain spider in my room or bathroom because our yard is full of them (I think they keep the buttons and black widows away and I see many moms with little nests in our bushes). So I suppose if I have survived that, based on what you are saying, I can cope in Australia.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2017 at 6:58 PM, MichKen said:

@RedPanda that actually does help me.  My phobia originated with a close encounter with a baboon spider as a child, and from there living in PE with the bird spiders in my res room it grew (waking up with one sitting above you is just traumatic) since then in Jhb, I regularly wake up to a massive rain spider in my room or bathroom because our yard is full of them (I think they keep the buttons and black widows away and I see many moms with little nests in our bushes). So I suppose if I have survived that, based on what you are saying, I can cope in Australia.

You will be fine. It's nowhere near as bad as you will imagine it to be.

Saw this frightening story today. It could be far worse...we you might be moving to the UK with their sex starved spiders!!!

'I think they are just out to get me': Huge sex-crazed spiders are invading homes, setting off burglar alarms

Yahoo7 News / 4 hours ago

If you’re not crazy about spiders the size of your hand crawling around your house, the fact that they’re also completely sex-crazed isn’t going to make the situation much better.

Arachnophobes in Britain are preparing for “spider season” where the eight-legged critters only have one thing on their mind.

How big you’re wondering?

Greater Manchester local Andrew Taylor recently encountered a spider so massive it set off his burglar alarm.

spider_2.jpg

Spiders that are 12cm in width have been emerging around British homes with one thing on their mind. Source: Getty

Life hasn't been much easier for Tom Ivinson who said he feels like he's living in a horror film.

“Moving to my new flat in Chorlton has been like being forced to do a cameo performance in Eight Legged Freaks,” he said.

“My nan says it’s because autumn is just round the corner, but I think they are just out to get me.”

As if the concept of plate-sized spiders mating around your house wasn’t quite bad enough, removing them is also no easy task.

“The male spiders come out the woodwork during this time of year as it is breeding season and they are searching for female spiders,” Pro-Kill Environmental worker Steve Mcgrail said.

spider_3.jpg

One terrified Manchester woman trapped this monster under a glass. Source: Facebook

“They are actually there in the home at other times of year but they are hidden away – under the floor, in the attic, in the basement. If you find them, it’s pretty much impossible to rid your house of them.

“They may disappear for a period of time, but other spiders will come in their place. The best thing to do if you find them is put them in a shed – it’s a case of out of sight, out of mind.

“If you put them outside they are likely to die.”

• Confused 1