Advice to lodge 489 or wait for a 190 visa

Carmen031

Hi
I'm newbie to this forum and take my hat off to every person who has immigrated or is in the process, gosh what a journey!

I would like some advice before we lodge our visa, if anyone can offer their experience on the 489/190  visa I would greatly appreciate it.

We have 80 points (my occupation is on the CSOL list) and so we are 5 points short for a 190 visa to South Australia as the points requirement is currently at 85 points.

We have the option to do my husbands skills assessment and gain 5 points taking us up to 85 points or we can lodge for the 489 visa now, we have received invitation so we have 60 days to lodge.

As the 190 offers PR that would seem the better option but it would require spending more money to have his skills assessment done now and then applying for the 190 not to necessarily receive an invitation when we do lodge an EOI for it.
In your experience, is the 489 a fairly straightforward route to obtaining PR (after 2 years living & working in SA/regional area)? 
I realise the 489 will require us taking out medical aid as we won't have PR, are there any other negatives? 
I worry if regulations change the route will become difficult.
We are working with an agency who recommend the 489 as its the quickest route. We are not in an immediate hurry to get over but at the time the goal posts seem to change and I don't want to miss this opportunity.

Thank you!