Good morning,

I have a bit of a debacle with choosing my nominated occupation. I spoke to an immigration agent, but couldn't get a definitive answer before my hour ran out.

I have a bachelor's in Electronic and Electrical engineering from Stellenbosch. It seems that Engineers Australia view both electrical and electronic engineering as independent streams. I specialized in telecommunications, would that make me an electronics engineer?

Second question - I have a master's degree in industrial engineering and I currently work as a management consultant. The immigration agent advised me to keep anything off my application that would muddy the water i.e. my master's and experience. Do i just leave the past three years off my CV  when submitting it for my skills assessment or how do I go about it?

Thank you for your assistance. 

Regards,

Edited by Janti

DISCLAIMER: I am not an agent, and this does not constitute professional advice.

But, I would do the following: submit to EA for Electronics Engineering (with your bachelors only), I did this with my UJ BEng (Elctrical and Electronic) degree, no problems, friend did the same with the same degree, no problems. Then, if you have enough points to apply without work experience, this would be ideal.

EA does not give you anything extra for your Masters, and a masters degree doesn't give you extra points on your visa application. So if you have enough points with your age, degree and English score, just submit your application like this. As in, don't claim points for anything else. Then when you have to fill in details of what you've been doing (your CV), by all means fill in your work and be truthful. Just don't claim points for it.

The visa application has nothing to do with how you will find work once you are in Australia, so don't worry that your experience will not be recognised if you don't "do something" with it when you apply for a visa. Also don't worry too much what code your visa is granted under (electrical/electronic) since you are not bound to do the type of work specified on your visa. [If you are going for a 189 skilled independent, that is. I don't have any good knowledge about the other visa types]

I would recommend that you double check this advice with someone else as well, perhaps a migration agent? Just make sure that you are working with a reputable person who is registered with MARA and gives you a MARN (registered agent number) that you can look up online for yourself.

Thank you so much for your reply. 

Your advice falls very much in line with that of a migration agent. We just booked English tests, so we have a long way left to go. 

Again, thanks for the advise.

Regards,

• Like 1

You are very welcome :D 

Good luck with your journey ahead, and shout if you have questions.

(Also, do ALL the practice material you can get online[if it's IELTS they give you access once you paid/booked your test] to prepare for the English test, it's worth scoring as high as you can go!)

• Like 1