Public schools Melbourne

G2OZ

Hello All,

We are looking for suggestions for a good public school for my 2 daughters in Melbourne. We looked a Burwood East Primary and that looks pretty good. Does anyone have any other suggestions? We would prefer to stay on the Eastern side of Melbourne.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I would strongly suggest that you also look at the local high school. You don't want to face moving your kids as they finish primary.

Thanks for the replies. @DXB2OZ do you have any suggestions on good secondary schools?

Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge of schools on the east side, however in my experience (2 kids age 14 and 15) some high schools are vastly different from others and it is a good idea to look to what may suit your particular child rather than simply popular focus. It is hard when they are little, but simple things like focus on academics vs focus on sport, top of the league tables vs something more inclusive, etc.

Best of luck to you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone we are moving to Melbourne in November. The Visa says we must activate by 29 November. We want to leave SA on 15 November. My question is the kids will be in the middle of exams then. We have a son in Grade 11 and daughter in Grade 5. Will they be accepted for 2018 if they did not finish the SA exams for the previous grade? Also does the Grade 11 need to repeat or can he continue to Year 12 in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

@Rubie I am afraid I cant answer your question but that is a bit of a tough one - I would suggest talking to the schools you are intending on your kids attending next year and ask their advice.

There are many resources where you can (try anyway) to asses a public secondary school in Australia (my daughter attends a public high school in Melbourne)

https://bettereducation.com.au/

https://www.myschool.edu.au/

The schools facebook page

Also go to the schools website and download the newsletter - this will start giving you an idea of the ethos of the school. Have a look at co-curriculars, community work, school productions and study tours.

Word of mouth is probably one of the best resources if you are lucky enough to know someone who lives in the area.

4 hours ago, JackoFam said:

@Rubie I am afraid I cant answer your question but that is a bit of a tough one - I would suggest talking to the schools you are intending on your kids attending next year and ask their advice.

There are many resources where you can (try anyway) to asses a public secondary school in Australia (my daughter attends a public high school in Melbourne)

https://bettereducation.com.au/

https://www.myschool.edu.au/

The schools facebook page

Also go to the schools website and download the newsletter - this will start giving you an idea of the ethos of the school. Have a look at co-curriculars, community work, school productions and study tours.

Word of mouth is probably one of the best resources if you are lucky enough to know someone who lives in the area.

Thanks JackoFam

• 5 months later...

Hi all, 

I'm headed to Melbourne in mid-March with a young family in tow. Kiddies are 7 and 3. My little boy is in Grade 2. 

I'd love to hear about your school experiences/insights. 

For reference - Work is in Burnley. The thought at the moment is to find a good school and settle there. 

Thanks!