Passport Questions for Visa Application

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help out. We have received an invite to apply for a visa, and we just have a few questions around the passports:

1. If I have a European passport that is expired, do I add to the list when it asks for my foreign passports in the visa application?
  2. Would it be better to 'attach' the visa to a South African or European passport?
  3. My wife has a British Passport which states that she is a British Citizen on it. Does she need to write the English test, if she is not the main applicant?

Thanks and any help on those questions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

1) Always give too much information. If you have an expired passport from another country then include it. They can always ignore it if its not relevant.

2) Not sure what you mean 

3) Its all on the website

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/190-

Click the link "You must have Competent English."

It will say  "You can show you have Competent English if you either:" ...  "are a citizen of, and hold a valid passport from, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, or the United States."

More information here ->  https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english

You (the main applicant) might need more than just "competent English". Your assessing body... e.g. VetAssess, Engineers Australia, the Computer Society...  might require a you to take a test that proves you have either " Proficient or Superior English". But that will be on their website and only applies to a few occupations.

Thanks very much for the reply @monsta, was very helpful.

With regards to the second question, what I meant is that I heard that your visa is linked to a particular passport, so was wondering which one would be better to have it on?

If you mean the visa label... they no longer label your passport.

What happens is you book a ticket to Australia. The airline gives your passport details to Canberra. They come back and say you are good to travel. Then someone at the check-in in JHB has a list of those who are good to fly to Aussie. They let you on the plane. By the time you get to Aussie they are mostly just confirming you arrived and didn't bring any dodgy items with you. They try as far as possible to make sure that you can't get to Australia if you should be there.

honestly you are better off carrying a letter from VEVO

http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/visas-and-migration/visa-entitlement-verification-online-(vevo)

or

https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query

That site will print you out a letter saying you have a valid visa. There are many numbers by which the Aussie government can identify you...e.g. a Transaction Reference Number or a Visa Grant Number.

You can even get My Vevo  for your phone  ->   https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/visas-and-migration/visa-entitlement-verification-online-(vevo)

You just need something to convince the airline you are not lying when you say you have a VISA and they should call up Canberra to confirm. Canberra then approves you, it appears on their computer screen at the check-in counter and they let you on the plane to Aussie.

But 99% of the time the Australian government will realise its you and approve you to travel before you even get to the airport. The only issues I know about would be if you miss typed your passport number or 5 years in when your PR visa expires and you need to apply for a residents return VISA. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Mauro, when you say 'attach', do you mean 'apply for the visa as a citizen from xxx'? If you meet the visa requirements, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, for the long term visas. It certainly makes a huge difference for the short term visas:
my dad applied for a tourist visa with a South African passport, +R2000 and a processing time of several days
his spouse applies with a Dutch passport, Free, instant result

Once you have the visa on a passport, you need to use that passport when going through the Aussie gates. You can then choose whatever passport is valid to pass through the gates of the countries you go to:
eg
Aussie visa in RSA passport
Leave Australia on RSA passport, Enter Spain on EU passport, Leave Spain on EU passport, Enter Australia on RSA passport.

Disclaimer: none of the forumites are actual migration agents, unless they have a MARN in their signature. So our advice is hear-say, or based on what we've done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1