Skills Assessment - Technical interview

gordo.hogan

Question

Hi Guys

So good news, My skills assessment application has been sent to the Australian construction training services. In the next few weeks / months I will have to attend a technical interview. I really don't know what to expect. Must I study all the health and safety symbols? Do I need to know everything off by heart? how long am I gonna be stuck in that interview room? Id love to hear from someone who has done the technical interview like this to share their experience. Maybe it will ease my nerves.

Im doing my TRA for Metal machinist (First class) [323214] but even if you did yours for a different trade I would still love to hear your story.

18 answers to this question

I don't mind as I haven't seen my sister in a while and this gives me an excuse for a visit.

Good luck with the studying

Hey Gordo

Well done on finally submitting as I see you have been a member here since 2012.

I am not in your profession but am an electrician and submitted first part of my assessment last Monday, I have done extensive research and googling on my technical part of the assessment and have discovered it to be very easy based on what others have said.

It has 4 parts or questions, 1 is to wire a basic DB with a socket and 2 way light switches, once completed I need to do a small installation test on it (not even a full one) 2 is to draw, wire a basic motor circuit and show either star or delta connection, overload setting etc. 3 is 24 multiple choice questions consisting of 6 sections of 4 and allowed 1 wrong in each section (questions look like N1,N2 theory) and 4 is an Australian version of a disconnect/reconnect of a load eg heater, water heater from a DB supply.

All in all I would say it looks like about 1/4 of what my SA trade test consisted of, nothing near what I needed to do here as it is not an actual trade test but more just for them to see if I have basic knowledge as I still need to do gap training and possibly a proper trade test once in Aus.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

A colleague of mine applied for a white card the other day. New South Wales has an insurance scheme for everyone in construction... and as part of that you need to get a white card to go onto a construction site. 

One of the test questions was a picture of dodgy construction site.. one of the guys was wearing thongs operating an electric saw with no goggles on.  Another guy didn't have a hard hat and no high visibility vest. You had to point out the various safety offences in the picture.

Then we found out there is a 2 day in person training to get your white card. We also found out that's usually for people who can't speak English very good.

So, if you want to do manual labour on a construction site... the barriers to entry are not large. 

I hope your test is just as easy ;) 

• Like 1

Thanks for responding guys, Im feeling a lot more confident of the test thanks to the replies I have received here. I will give feedback on this post once I have done the Skills assessment. Im sure it will help the next person that needs this info.

Just an update on my skills assessment...

First part submitted 31st July and received positive result this morning!

19 hours ago, LOL said:

Just an update on my skills assessment...

First part submitted 31st July and received positive result this morning!

That's great to hear, That means that mathematically my result should come through either today or tomorrow. Does the message say anything about a technical interview?

Hey gordo

To make an assumption like that you would need more examples of vetassess taking 2 weeks to be certain yours will come through this week, also we are in different fields and the people assessing me might be different to you or perhaps the person assigned to your file is on leave...

You could also still get a request for further info or thry could be struggling to get hold of any past employers etc.

My practical assessment has been tentatively booked for the 14th of September, I am still waiting for the final confirmation of my booking which should come through soon.

Edited by LOL

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Hey gordo

To make an assumption like that you would need more examples of vetassess taking 2 weeks to be certain yours will come through this week, also we are in different fields and the people assessing me might be different to you or perhaps the person assigned to your file is on leave...

You could also still get a request for further info or thry could be struggling to get hold of any past employers etc.

My practical assessment has been tentatively booked for the 14th of September, I am still waiting for the final confirmation of my booking which should come through soon.

Okay I have gone through the Australian construction training services ( http://visaskills.com/ ) so I guess its a completely different standard that they work with. Im just trying to get a bench marker so that I know whether things are going slow or fast. My documents were submitted by my immigration agent on the 2nd of August and I haven't heard anything back from them which is a bit concerning but I guess I just need to be patient.

Good luck for your practical assessment, please let me know how it goes.

A quick update. Today my employer (referee) got a call from the ACS to confirm the details of my employer letter. I also got a mail saying they are near the end of the 1st phase of my skills assessment and soon we can book a technical interview. We will see from here :)

Another update. My documents have gone through. Im booked for stage 2 of the skills assessment (technical interview) on Tuesday the 29th of August. Incase anybody was wondering like I was. I got sent a study pack with the health and safety stuff I need to learn.

Hey Gordo that is good news good luck wuth it!

I am still waiting on the final confirmation for the 14th before I make any travel arrangements.

Have you done the english test yet? That is the only thing holding you up now.

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Hey Gordo that is good news good luck wuth it!

I am still waiting on the final confirmation for the 14th before I make any travel arrangements.

Have you done the english test yet? That is the only thing holding you up now.

Where are you doing the test? Im guessing its not close to where you stay if you have to make travel arrangements. I didn't go with VETASSESS because they only offer the interview in cape town and I am based in Joburg.

As for the English test, my immigration agent said that if I can provide proof of 5 years of secondary schooling in an English medium school then I wont have to do an English test. So I called up my old high school and asked them for a letter to confirm that I have done the 5 years. The immigration agency said it will be enough so I really hope they are right. Cant you go the same route? Are you using an agent?

JWent through Vetassess because they are the only company who dies the electrician general assessment, I am in Gauteng so need to get to CT.

I would do a little more research on the english test advice you have been given, I have read many times on this forum that a main applicant has to do it...

I have been informed I need to do it and we are both trade professionals but I will look into it as well because if all I need is a letter I would much rather do it that way.

Ah that's not good so now you gotta get to Cape Town for the test. Its already a long and expensive process to get the Visa done, Im grateful I was able to get my test in Joburg to save a bit of costs.

I will read up more on it but my Immigration agents should know the process so if it comes down to it they will have to book me for an English exam. I am dreading that though because I have heard it is actually a really difficult test, even though I am a fluent English speaker. I will let you know how the technical interview goes once I have finished it, for the next few days I have some studying to do.

So yesterday I did the technical interview through Skype. I had to go to a lawyers office in order to get my identity verified. After that I was taken to a room with a laptop and connected via video call to the assessor. I must say it was a lot more stressful in my mind than it turned out to actually be. The assessor was very friendly and just asked me a few questions regarding my job in order to assess my knowledge of the nominated skill. We got into a discussion about different aspects of the job and there was 1 or 2 questions regarding safety. All in all it was actually very pleasant and he said he was happy with me and that im going to be receiving my certificate in the next few days.

Next step, medical insurance and then Visa.

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

Well done Gordo and good luck, I think you can mark this question as being 'answered' now.

I don't know how, Im guessing admin has to do it. 

Oh one last thing. You said you are doing your TRA through VETASSESS in Cape town. Check if they will cover the cost of travel because I found out that the ACS (company I did mine through) covers travel if you need to fly in from a different province. Good luck! 

Good day Gordo

Do you have ACS contacts and who sent you the study pack? Couple of us here at work trying the same avenue. how did your interview go?