So how is everyone in Canberra doing?

BrendanH

This has been a quiet section of the forum - so just checking how everyone is doing?

Hi Brendan. My wife and I are landing in Canberra on the 3rd of September. Can't wait!

Welcome! Canberra is a great little town and September has some great weather. What do the two of you do for work?

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

@BrendanH My wife is a teacher and I'm a political science researcher. We're both pretty unfulfilled in our careers in SA and open to any new opportunities in Aus. We thought Canberra would be a good place to 'land' because it's relatively central on the East coast, relatively small compared to the Australian megacities, and relatively easy to navigate (by the looks of things). Probably not the best job market for an immigrant, though.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome @HonestPiney!

My wife is a primary school teacher and found work very easily.  No idea about job prospects for you though.  

Bear in mind that Canberra is about 2 to 3 hours drive from the coast.  Yes, extremely easy to navigate, with very little traffic and an excellent road infrastructure.  You'll be glad you are arriving in September, the winters here are really cold, but I'm sure you have researched that.

All the best!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, HonestPiney said:

My wife and I are landing in Canberra on the 3rd of September. Can't wait!

You must have just arrived? Hope you are finding your feet OK. Today it seems like spring has left again, but I'm sure it will be back.

• 3 weeks later...

So we have to be in Aus before 30 March 2017, we have our minds set on Canberra.. I work in Finance and my wife works in interior design. We will probably be arriving in March somewhere... can't wait to get there. We have a million questions but have found answers for most of them on the forum. The only real problem we have now is finding accommodation for the first month and then probably more permanent accommodation from there onward.

Anyone here living on the outskirts of Canberra?

Would like to meet up with some locals to get some idea of the city and local secrets :)

Hi, I don't live on the outskirts but I do know some locals who started out in Queanbeyan because the rentals and property prices are significantly cheaper and it is closer to Canberra city centre than a few Canberra suburbs. It is definitely an option. You will definitely have better finance job options in Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne though. Having said that - if you can live with the cold weather Canberra is an amazing place to live.   @BarryHeyns

• Like 1

We found our temp accommodation on Domain - surprisingly, so you can look there as well as airbnb and stayz

Don't mind meeting up - had some warm welcomes that we need to pay on again :)

I think Canberra is small enough not to really have outskirts.

Good luck and you are welcome to give a shout when you arrive.

My impression of Canberra is all of it are outskirts. Calling the centre a CBD is optimistic.

That is nice to hear, I have read about a first buyers housing grant available, do you perhaps know which areas this would apply to?

Hey buddy I will reply here on the forum instead of whatsap for the benefit of others that might be interested. I did some reading on this the other day. 

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

The value of the grant is $10 000 

To be eligible for the FHOG and/or first home owner rate of duty, applicants must satisfy the following criteria: (THIS IF FOR WESTERN AUSTRALIA)

• An applicant must be a natural person (i.e. not a company) and be 18 years or over at the time of making application. However, you may be able to apply for an exemption from the age requirement.
  • At least one applicant must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of making application.
  • Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously received the FHOG or first home owner rate of duty from any jurisdiction in Australia.
  • Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia prior to 1 July 2000.
  • Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia after 1 July 2000 and occupied that home before 30 June 2004.
  • Applicants and/or their spouses or de facto partners cannot have previously owned a home anywhere in Australia after 1 July 2000 and occupied that home for a period of not more than six continuous months commencing after 30 June 2004.
  • Applicants must occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months of settlement if purchasing a home, or within 12 months from the date of completion if building a home.
  • Applicants must hold a relevant interest (ownership) in the land on which the home is situated.
  • The applicant must enter into a contract to buy or build (or in case of an owner builder, commence construction) on or after 1 July 2000.

Depending on which state you live in, FHOG also exempts you from paying stamp duty. This is worth up to $30,000. There is a cap on the value of the property.