SkillSelect 189/190/489 Age Limit Lowered to <45

For anyone looking at the Skilled Independent Visas Subclasses 189/190/489 please be aware that the DIBP have reduced the maximum age for this visa to <45 i.e. a maximum of 44 years of age.

The announcement that the 189 visa was to reduce in age had been mentioned some time ago, the DIBP confirmed the 190/489 were also to be included yesterday.

That is unfortunate for many, I got my 489 visa last year at age 47, so relieved I did it when I had the chance. I think Oz will be poorer for limiting the age to 45, there is a lot of talent out there at 45 and older

• Like 2

I am devastated by this.  I turned 45 in May.  According to what I have seen, my only option at this stage is a 457 (fortunately my occupation has been bumped up to the medium/long term list) so I can get  a four-year 457, but as from 1 March 2018 there will be a 45 year age limit on converting to 186/187.  So PR is not an option.  I am completely gutted.  Friends are telling me I should get whatever visa I can, and then see what happens once I'm in, but I don't know...  I have the advantage that I'm on my own and don't have a family to support, but it's still risky.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 4:42 AM, JulesR said:

I am devastated by this.  I turned 45 in May.  According to what I have seen, my only option at this stage is a 457 (fortunately my occupation has been bumped up to the medium/long term list) so I can get  a four-year 457, but as from 1 March 2018 there will be a 45 year age limit on converting to 186/187.  So PR is not an option.  I am completely gutted.  Friends are telling me I should get whatever visa I can, and then see what happens once I'm in, but I don't know...  I have the advantage that I'm on my own and don't have a family to support, but it's still risky.  

I really hope you manage to find an option to get to OZ, these changes are so unfortunate. Even for those of us already here, we are weary that things may change at anytime, never quite secure at any stage, until we are citizens one day, if we have the opportunity

• Like 1

So relieved we got our 190s in February with my husband being 46. Agree @TakeItOnTheChin Experience does have meaning. Hope things work out for you @JulesR 

• Like 1

@Husky I think you guys miss understand the VISA system a little. 

For example, when you are younger you pay similar medical aid to when you are older. The industry is taking money from the younger to pay the medical bills of the older. I am sure being 46 vs being 36 means you are at far more risk of many conditions requiring expensive medical intervention.

Another thing to think about is, if Aussie grants you a visa when you are 46... you are likely to only work for another 15-20 years. If you were 36 you would work for much longer. So, they would have to give out less VISAS over the years to fill their skills shortages. VISAS cost money to issue and administer. Your application fee doesn't cover it all.

The economy isn't really growing, its only growing because of migrants.  America crashed after the Global Financial Crisis and has slowly started recovering... Australia never crashed... its just been on a mild correction after the mining boom ended. A big reason for that is the new migrants who need places to live, places to shop, etc...  so that keeps the financials of big companies looking alright for now. I know the politicians in Australia are not exactly saints... but they do get large donations from businesses and business people who want them to do whats best for their businesses. So, there is often a lot of thought to what seems like an unfair VISA system at times.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification and information @monsta

I appreciate that these may not be your own views, but an explanation for government decisions, which are valid. The reason I am on this forum is to learn and I am very aware of how much I don't know. 

To offer a balanced view;

1. Nobody said the visa system was unfair. 

2. Research shows that "workers do not reach their full potential until their mid to late 40s, and that significant work experience is a key factor in determining a skilled migrant's labour market performance".

3. At 44, I am a healthy, qualified, committed and productive member of my community. I hope to significantly contribute to the economic and social success of Australia. I plan to work until at least 70. I like what I do.

4. In my 30s, I was studying, having babies, taking maternity leave and looking after toddlers. We spent a lot more time at the doctor than we do now.

5. My teenagers will start working once they have finished studying and contribute a good 40 years of taxes to the state. As they should. 

Always good to have different perspectives. 

We are very grateful to Australia for allowing us to belong.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 1:05 PM, TakeItOnTheChin said:

I really hope you manage to find an option to get to OZ, these changes are so unfortunate. Even for those of us already here, we are weary that things may change at anytime, never quite secure at any stage, until we are citizens one day, if we have the opportunity

Hi @TakeItOnTheChin,

There is still a chance for you on a 457 visa to convert to PR by way of a 186 visa using the temporary residents transition scheme.  Currently there is an age exemption, if you have worked for 4 years on the visa for the same employer, and have earned above the "fair work Australia High Income Threshhold".  - see http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-?modal=/Trav/Work/Work/Age-Skill-and-English-Language-Exemptions-Permanent-Employer-Sponsored-Programme (currently $142000 per annum I am advised).

This is what I am relying on, so I hope this gateway is not closed off!  I have about 18 months to go to get to the 4 years!

Regards and good luck!

Edited by TimeToGo
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 9:23 PM, TimeToGo said:

Hi @TakeItOnTheChin,

There is still a chance for you on a 457 visa to convert to PR by way of a 186 visa using the temporary residents transition scheme.  Currently there is an age exemption, if you have worked for 4 years on the visa for the same employer, and have earned above the "fair work Australia High Income Threshhold".  - see http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-?modal=/Trav/Work/Work/Age-Skill-and-English-Language-Exemptions-Permanent-Employer-Sponsored-Programme (currently $142000 per annum I am advised).

This is what I am relying on, so I hope this gateway is not closed off!  I have about 18 months to go to get to the 4 years!

Regards and good luck!

Good luck!