South African Psychologists Be Warned

NicoletteJ

The case by case response when they in fact know they are not going to accept South African trained Psychologists sounds avery unethical. I have also e-mailed them and they encouraged me to apply as they vet each case in isolation😔

As it is looks like no one has received a positive assessment lately. Very devastating to see all plans crumbling down.  

2 hours ago, Rachie said:

The case by case response when they in fact know they are not going to accept South African trained Psychologists sounds avery unethical. I have also e-mailed them and they encouraged me to apply as they vet each case in isolation😔

As it is looks like no one has received a positive assessment lately. Very devastating to see all plans crumbling down.  

I might have mentioned it earlier but I emailed Prof Alfred Allan in 2017 about this. With him being in Australia, an expert in ethics and with close ties to South Africa I thought he could look into it. I never received a reply and never followed up. Perhaps more psychologists should seek his assistance? Online I found this email address: a.allan@ecu.edu.au (it's already public so I'm not publishing private info).

Look our government is in such a mess, I didn’t even know that this David Coleman is apparently the Minister for Immigration. Is there any point emailing (or tweeting?) him?

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/hindi/en/article/2018/09/07/new-immigration-minister-hails-migrants-contribution-australia

Nothing to lose...

• 3 months later...

Hi all

My Fiance and I are wanting to move to Australia. She is finishing up her Clinical Psychology qualification, what she has done so far:

1) Undergraduate (3 years with UJ)

2) Postgraduate (2 years part time with UNISA)

3) Masters in Clinical Psychology through UNISA (2 years full time academics and then 1 year internship)  her masters was annoying because unlike all other universities UNISA is 2 years full time academics instead of the 1 year like all the other universities.

From what I am reading it sounds like UNISA's extra year might play to her advantage.

My question is will she be able to register with their healthcare profession?

By the time we are looking at moving she will have 16 months Internship experience with Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Tara Hospital and have completed her 1 year community service year. (ie. we wanting to move end of next year)

Hi @RyanM

As you have read in this thread, your guess is as good as anyone elses. Some people from the same varsity get it while their classmates do not. I have found people I studied with who have had no issue (listed year 1 as coursework and year 2 as thesis) and another classmate rejected.

@RyanM I would take the risk and get a skills assessment - as you say, 2 years full-time in academic Masters could satisfy them.

It's hard to still believe that my 14 year clinical experience counts for nothing...

Good luck and I hope you get as positive outcome!

9 hours ago, NickyJ said:

@RyanM I would take the risk and get a skills assessment - as you say, 2 years full-time in academic Masters could satisfy them.

It's hard to still believe that my 14 year clinical experience counts for nothing...

Good luck and I hope you get as positive outcome!

@NickyJ What have you decided to do? Are you still pursuing the visa another way? Or are you looking elsewhere?

B

Edited by Bonny

Hi @Bonny - after the negative skills assessment I got from APA, I gave up on Australian PR. A Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology from Stellenbosch University, a year's community service in a psychiatric academic hospital and 14 years of clinical experience is not enough for them? Crazy! The only reason I keep notifications for this thread is that I don't want the migration agents and APA continuing their promises to psychologists in order to make money. They are exploiting people by not giving the facts. The irony is that I've been invited 3 times to speak at conferences in Australia!! 

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

that I've been invited 3 times to speak at conferences in Australia!! 

Perhaps that may be a way in for you, depending on your relationship with the hosts.

Ask them if they dont want to sponsor you on a 457 visa and later for PR. While you here you may even work towards your phd. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, NickyJ said:

Hi @Bonny - after the negative skills assessment I got from APA, I gave up on Australian PR. A Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology from Stellenbosch University, a year's community service in a psychiatric academic hospital and 14 years of clinical experience is not enough for them? Crazy! The only reason I keep notifications for this thread is that I don't want the migration agents and APA continuing their promises to psychologists in order to make money. They are exploiting people by not giving the facts. The irony is that I've been invited 3 times to speak at conferences in Australia!! 

Good for you! Don’t want other people to be caught out. It’s a money-making scheme. 

What about Canada? That’s where I’d try & go if I got another shot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi hi. 

I have a positive skills assessment with a Rhodes masters.

But now another question...

Has anyone gone the nz route first and registered with the nz psych assoc. Then transferred registration to aus because of the trans agreement they have in place?

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I just want to follow up and see if there have been any positive assessments recently?and if so what were the study requirements that made you get a positive skills assessment? 

On 6/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, melissaboulind said:

Hi hi. 

I have a positive skills assessment with a Rhodes masters.

But now another question...

Has anyone gone the nz route first and registered with the nz psych assoc. Then transferred registration to aus because of the trans agreement they have in place?

• 10 months later...

@RyanM Hi Ryan wanted to check if your wife ever go a positive assessment with a Unisa masters. My wife is also trying to figure out the if the masters is good for Australia. 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,  I read through all the comments.  Did any of this change? We are thinking of immigrating to Aus but now I'm discouraged. 

I'm an Educational Psychologist, not being able to practice or work as a psychologist is disappointing :(

• 3 months later...