Does anyone commute from Sunbury to the CBD?

Melb2017

Thanks to Mara, we now have Sunbury on our radar as a place to settle. I just wanted to hear from anyone who lives in Sunbury and commutes to the CBD during normal rush hour, how long the trip takes you? We are very keen on the village lifestyle and cost of living, but with 2 very small kids I can't be commuting 4 hours a day or I'll never see them. Thanks in advance. 

I am told that if you can catch the V-Line, which stops in Sunbury and then the city, the journey is significantly shorter than with the City Line.

Perhaps @GKatherine can shed some light on this for you!

Edited by Mara

We did it a couple of times by car in rush hour - can't remember how long it took, but remember thinking it would have been quicker by train.  Although we had also done a similar car trip from Elsternwick (about 10km to the CBD on the SE of Melbourne, a 1/4 of the distance, and the traffic was worse and it took about the same amount of time).  But it was only a couple of times - so that is not that reliable. 

Plus, if you are commuting by car you also need to factor in the consider the ability (and cost) to park a vehicle near your place of work. 

Google Maps - this week 7am  to the city:

Sunbury = 45min to 1:05h

Other areas with lots of peeps from RSA for comparison:

Point Cook (West) = 26min to 35min

Doncaster (East) = 20min to 28min (We stayed in Heidelberg Heights which is close to here)

You will get more house for your money in Sunbury though

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your as always excellent advice. From what I have read/heard my preference would be to use public transport, which it sounds like would be the faster option?

Hi. I am just before rush hour and it works for us now. My mornings are as follows:

Leave home at 6:10 and walk to the bus stop.

Bus picks me up about 6:20.

Vline stops at Sunbury 6:28, bus is supposed to stop at the station 6:28. 

So, I make the Vline 3/5 mornings a week. 

Vline stops at Southern Cross at 7:03 and I am generally at the office by 7:10.

If I miss the Vline I get the next Metro train, which leaves 6:36 and arrives about 7:30 at Southern Cross.

There are a couple of more Metro trains between then and 9:00. They roughly take 1:10 from Sunbury station to Southern Cross station. 

Because I start earlier I also leave before rush hour. If I am lucky I catch the 3:14 Vline back and get to Sunbury 3:53. If not I take the 3:30 or 3:35 or 3:50 Metro  these take about 1:15 - 1:25 minutes in the afternoon and are SERIOUSLY busy in the CBD, i.e. you are lucky if you get a seat for the first half of the route.

It was quite an adjustment because I use to do the school run. Now my husband takes them to school but I video call them every morning just after I arrive at the office, before they go to school. Most days I go from the station to pick the kids up in the afternoon. 

It is not ideal to not be there in the morning, but now both my commutes are 1h (if I get the Vline). It took me on average 1:45 from house to school to office in SA, so I'm happy :) And I get to spend some time with the kids after school. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Oh, in Docklands there isnt a lot of street parking and parkade parking can cost you $15 a day. My daily public transport is $8.40.

• Like 1

Hi GKatherine

Wow, that sounds a LOT more doable than I was thinking. Thank you SO much. I am going to send you a PM if you don't mind.

• Like 1

That @Mara sure is convincing, because we are also looking at planting in sunbury, at least for the first month, unless I find a job from RSA that makes this impractical. 

Great answer @GKatherine, covering all the bases. I live in a small town now, so having to commute for more than 7 min to work will take some adjusting. ?

Hopefully some sunbury secondary school needs a science teacher by September: Win Win! (too much to ask?? ?)

• Like 3

@Karools you say you are looking at Sunbury, for at least the first month? Not sure you will find accommodation, just for a month, Sunbury is not the city, where there is a lot of AirBNB places to stay. Do not wish to burst your bubble, but finding work from RSA as a secondary school teacher... I think may be praying for a miracle... but then... we know miracles do happen!