Moving to Melbourne

189inprocess

Hi All, 

I've been around for almost 4 years, we have our 189 and my husband has just been offered a job in the CBD of Melbourne, to start in August. We plan for him to come over first and myself and 2 kids (7 and 9 years) to follow towards the end of the year. 

How on earth do you choose where to live ! We live in KZN, close to the beach, so I'm drawn towards the Bayside area. Does anyone have suggestions / recommendations on schools / areas etc to help me with this very daunting move. 

Thanks 

The best thing to do is e-mail the company your husband is going to and ask them where their long time staff live. 

The reason for that is the locals know the best ways to get to work. For example, they might drive to the train station and catch a train in. But not all train stations have parking... or they have parking but full up quickly in the morning. So, being two stations further out may save you time as you won't have to spend 10 minutes looking for a parking. 

Hopefully, someone here who also commutes to the Melbourne CBD could give you similar advice?

Also, on the subject of schools...  https://bettereducation.com.au/   is a fantastic resource. It compares schools for you. When you are looking up rental properties on realestate.com.au it will tell you which schools are near by. Just look them up on bettereducation.com.au :)  I know pure numbers... like the marks the students get, doesn't tell you everything about a school... but it is good to know ;)

Don't stress.  Your hubby has six months to ask colleagues about schools and suburbs.  You really have time on your side for these decisions.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You really will have a great advantage, because your hubby can find out about schools etc while he waits for you, and then when you arrive you will already have an address in the catchment area of the school you want to send your kids to. Reading other people's posts this seems to be just about their No 1 hurdle to getting kids into a school.

In the meantime, read up online, see if you can find blogs or descriptions of suburbs that appeal to you, and then go onto realestate.com.au and check out what the rental prices are in the area. Good luck with your move ;)