Marsupilami going to Australia! Houba

Fidjet

07-05-2017

Initially, I didn’t think I would write anything here, I suck at spelling and I’m more of an EXCELL person and not WORD. Give me facts not story. But now that we are in the waiting room I started reading through other peoples journals and find it comforting. It is good knowing other people feel the same things and that we are not completely emotional or over reacting. It’s also good to know that no matter some of the trouble people go through, eventually, in the end, people get the Grant latter and make it to Auz and almost all of them say it’s the best decision ever, once they settle down that side. Reading this made me want to share our story. I apologize for any bad spelling or Grammar (eks eintlik ‘n boertjie wat American English leer spell het so dis nou heeltemal messed up) and if this is a bit dry and boring. Like I said I’m more about facts than feelings...

So it is nearly time for our one year wedding anniversary and while planning a holiday to celebrate we looked at the “to do list” we made for ourselves last year. It is basically a list of things we wanted to do or get done in our first year as a married couple... Looking at it I can’t help but be amazed at how much our priorities have changed.

Last year when we got married the plan was, I need to get a job so that we can save up and then we would start applying for the VISA one year later. In December while chatting to my mom she mentioned, well Greg is turning 32 soon... oh no! That and the fact that both our skills are flagged for review on the SOL made us start the process sooner.

So we go to my in-laws to talk about it and got their blessing strongly suggesting I go study something that will make me more employable, because apparently being a Mechanical Engineer isn’t good enough and the sad thing is that it looks like they are right, in SA at least.

So early January we got the finances organized, I enrolled at UNISA to do a Project Management course and we start getting serious about this VISA thing. And things have not slowed down since then! Here is our timeline, so far:

·         Get finances organized and officially start: 02-01-2017

·         Apply for Unabridged everything: 06-01-2017

·         Start collecting all the information needed for Skill Assessment 06-01-2017

·         Get husbands Unabridged Birth Certificate 31-01-2017

·         Try and book Eng test for early in January,  4 days before we are supposed to write we are told that sorry they over booked. GRRR Make a new appointment and write IELTS General  11-02-2017

·         Send off husbands skill assessment, Software Engineer with +-10 years XP: 16-02-2017

·         Get IELTS Results 24-02-2017. Greg, L9 R9 W8 S8.5 and I get L8.5 R8.5 W7 S9. Perfect for what we needed.

·         Get successful skill assessment back from ACS: 28-02-2017

·         EOI 28-02-2017

·         Apply for PCC 07-03-2017

·         Get our Invite, and finally get my Unabridged Birth Certificate 14-03-2017

And now things really start moving fast

·         Submit application 27-03-2017. We also booked our medicals on the same day, appointment made for 06-04-2017

·         Application received and paid: 01-04-2017

·         Request for information 05-04-2017, Medicals and PCC, we really thought we would have more time for this to get done.

·         Medicals 06-04-2017 finalized 11-04-2017

·         PCC 06-04-2017

·         Additional information submitted 11-04-2017

And now we wait.  

04-06-2017

I apologize in advance this is going to be a bit of a rant, but I need to let off steam and preferably tell it to people who will get it because it’s happening to them too.

We are still waiting and waiting and waiting. This is starting to really get on my nerves, feels like my entire life is just filled with waiting. Waiting to hear back about VISA (so that we can start selling stuff and get ready for the big move), and waiting to hear back from the job interview I went on (so I know when I ill have time for my embroidery classes and everything else people have planned in the next few weeks), waiting to get my results back from UNISA (So that I can put it on my CV and hopefully get a proper job for a change)

There is so much that we need to do and we can’t do any of it jet. GRRRR

• Like 3

It really is ok to rant @Fidjet 

I find it helps to get it out. The waiting is tough. Ours took 4 months from lodging. Vasbyt!

• Like 1

The wait feels like a long time because you think about it everyday. A few months after you get the grant you will look back and know it was not that long, just felt like it.

• Like 2

Take some advice from us who have been through this... enjoy your last few months in South Africa. 

When you get here you will spend years thinking, I should have gone to that tikka chicken place one more time! I wish I had visited those friends of mine a few more times. I wish I had spent a bit more time with family...

• Like 1

Don't waste precious time, that you could be using to enjoy Oz to the full, thinking  about this.:)

When you go back it's great for a while and then you realise everyone there has moved on and don't waste their time pinning for you.  

• Like 1

It is unfortunately a process that takes as long as it takes.....as others have said, enjoy your time in SA while you're there. You probably wouldn't think of it now but there is a lot you'll miss about good ol SA once you've been out a while (also a whole lot you won't miss).

On a side note....didn't think too much of Wimpy when it was just down the road, for the past few months though I would just about kill for a wimpy burger! Who would've thought!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2017 at 9:57 AM, monsta said:

Take some advice from us who have been through this... enjoy your last few months in South Africa. 

When you get here you will spend years thinking, I should have gone to that tikka chicken place one more time! I wish I had visited those friends of mine a few more times. I wish I had spent a bit more time with family...

We are, I am closer now to our friends and family than we have ever been, we are making a point of spending time with them, and we are doing all those things we have always wanted to. Because we won't be unable to soon. Not sure if it is really a good thing, it will make saying goodbye so much harder. But I'm glad we are doing it now, it's strange how you only realize how "short" life is and that some day will never happen unless you actually put a due date on it and make it happen. 

On 6/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, Brad76 said:

It is unfortunately a process that takes as long as it takes.....as others have said, enjoy your time in SA while you're there. You probably wouldn't think of it now but there is a lot you'll miss about good ol SA once you've been out a while (also a whole lot you won't miss).

On a side note....didn't think too much of Wimpy when it was just down the road, for the past few months though I would just about kill for a wimpy burger! Who would've thought!!!

LOL pretty sure I won't miss Wimpy, haven't been there in 6+ years, but I will probably miss Piza Perfect and I will definitely miss our local steakhouse, they have a stake with balsamic vinegar and feta that is simply heavenly. It would be interesting what we end up missing when we finally get that side. 

• Like 1

01-08-2017

No real progress to report, unfortunately. I’m getting rather annoyed living in Limbo, every time we plan something “long term” it goes “If we have the VISA and company agrees then we can do X, if VISA but no company then we do Y, if no VISA then we will have to do Z. The logistics is getting ... let’s say interesting. But such is life and we can’t do anything but wait patiently.

Company is code for my husband's current employer(he asked i remove name), and they might allow him to work remotely from Australia. This will mean we still get an income, in rands but it is a lot better than nothing. If they agree we can take a caravan through Australia and have a 6month long LSD trip, that sounds like so much fun! If they don't we need to get there and find a job ASAP and we will end up living where ever the work is.

I hope this will make sense, I am hoping to use you guys as a bit of a sounding board for “scheming”, so feel free to give relevant advice and ask questions if needed.

I still believe God supports this move and things will happen according to His time table. All we can do it trust in Him, and while we wait we can prepare for when the VISA does finally come. We are still hoping to move next year Feb, but that is obviously dependent on getting the Grant Email. The recent updates in timelines posted on border.gov.au is making that seem unlikely, 75% completed in 8 months (Witch for us will only be end November) and 90% completed in 11 months ( a couple of days before out PCC’s 1-year expiry date).

To make sure that we are ready to start moving when we get the VISA I am getting quotes from movers, at the moment it looks like we will either be using Execu move or Bayleys, have anyone used them recently, how did the move go? Execu Move is the more expensive of the two but they have a good reputation online and we are thinking that paying a bit extra for peace of mind is worth it.

We have also started sorting our stuff, it is slow going, and we will probably have to sort it again when we move, there is allot of things we are keeping until then, or until December. We also have a lot of stuff that we would like to keep if we don’t move over so we are holding on to it until we get the VISA grant. But it feels very nice to start. My husband thinks I’m demented (his words) because I like sorting and throwing things away, always have. It makes me very happy to have shelves open in my cupboards. Full cupboards and shelves are cluttered and messy, so I am having a good time, my husband, on the other hand, is finding it very sad and agrees it is better to do it now in small doses. So we do a little bit every week and he says it gives him time to “get use to the idée”.  

Now for the part that needs advice, we are considering s putting our Unit on the market now. The plan is to sell it (we still have time to hold out for a fair price) and then move in with my parents (EEEEK! I have been on my own for 10 years so it will be an adjustment). They want to help us save and move but can't give us money but they did say they will let us live there rent free, and they will pay water, lights, the internet, food, that will free up about half our monthly income, money which we will not touch until we get to Auz.

Yes, I know everyone always says don’t sell before you have the VISA, and normally I would agree. That is why we are not selling cars or anything that we will miss. But hear me out, and if you still think I'm nuts please explain why?

The way we see it one of 3 things can happen:

1.       We get the VISA before September. - This was when we originally planned to put the house on the market, So putting it up now is only a little ahead of schedule. 

2.       We get the VISA later (September – February) - If we waited until we got the Grant and it only comes that late then we will struggle to get the house sold, and everything sorted and moved in time for Feb next year. We will most likely be forced to make an activation trip, come back and then only move after everything is sorted. If our unit is sold now we will need at least 2 weeks (minimum time given by moving companies) to get everything packed and ready for the move. We can also drop our cars off at We buy Cars, not the best price but the fastest. So even if the VISA only arrives next year (please no) then we should still be able to move in Feb.

3.       Australia says no (we are not really worried about this we got out invites to apply in the first round, and both our occupations are on the SOL, or whatever it is called now, both of us could potentially claim points for age and English, Yes I know points don't really count for anything after EOI but it is still a good indication of whether you will get the VISA or not.) But in case the worst does happen and they do say no, then we will consider other VISA’s and possibly even other countries. Either way, it will take time to get that sorted. I am turning 30 and we really want to start a family, yes yes since have improved and we can wait a bit longer but we don't want to. I don't want to have to worry about kids in Uni while we are on pension. And if we want to start a family we will need to move into a bigger place. So regardless of what Australia says we will have to sell our place and move into something bigger by June next year at the latest.

So what we are thinking now is that we might as well sell now and be move-ready when the VISA comes. If the VIsa comes too late we can always stay with my family a bit longer of even rent somewhere if we need to. If the VISA is denied we can use the money we save by living with them for a deposit on the next place or to apply for the next VISA? I am struggling to see the down side, am I missing something?

Anyway that is all for now, I want to see if I can convince hubby to let me start sorting the tool shed. ;-D

Edited by Fidjet
  • Like 2

@Fidjet I feel your pain and know exactly where your coming from, My wife and I are in the exact same position, Im 32 and my wife is 34. Luckily for me my wife is the calm one and is not too fussed about the waiting, she knows that Gods timing is perfect and is just going with the flow, while here I am checking the forum, immitracker, the FB pages every 20mins... ok maybe 15 mins :) of every day, waiting to see some sort of movement on the 189 visas again, its not helping that I hate my job and sit doing next to nothing everyday due to the incompetence that I work with.

We started our process in December last year and its all gone so smoothly and quickly up until the waiting has started now. We have been waiting just over a month now since lodgment....don't laugh feels like an eternity (I think Takeitonthechin is onto something with his comment above).

We put our flat on the market as soon as we lodged the visa with our agent, as the transfer etc. can take a long time as well as actually selling the place, one of our friends have just landed in Queensland and told us to put our flat on the market as it took ages for their sale and transfer to go through, so we decided to take their advice.

Our plan is the same as yours to stay with my folks if the sale goes through before the visa is granted, and save as much as we can before leaving. Needless to say we are hoping that the time we have to spend with my parents is relatively short as my mother is not over the moon (understatement of note) about us leaving them, my Dad is pretty chilled about it, so at least one of them will greet us and say farewell hahaha. My mother has been treating me like roadkill since last year when we told the family we had started the process, so needless to say we hoping that Gods timing is perfect and the sale and transfer goes through and visa is granted at the same time hahahaah here is hoping for a miracle. We also feel that God is happy with this move as we had been talking about this for years and finally took the plunge when I had finished my diploma and everything just went so smoothly, that it had to be Gods will.

Our main reason for leaving is to start a family as well and could not see a future for our children in SA anymore, even a future for us is looking grim.

What I'm finding hard is that I feel like im now more than ever, I am constantly focusing on the negative stuff here, its infuriating and its making me even more frustrated that I cant get out of here, knowing that the days here are hopefully numbered and we will be able to live in a safe law abiding country were rules are adhered to and people are respected.

We were hoping that we could be out of here by December but that does not look like its on the cards. Apparently that new 8 months for 75% is for new applicants after the 1 July and we had lodged in June so just missed that, but im not holding my breath. I saw this morning that a 189 was granted and it was like 4 months to grant so here is hoping.

Thanks for the venting, it is comforting in a way to know that others are feeling the same and are almost in identical positions as we are.

• Like 2

@Fidget 

I don't believe you are missing anything and that you have looked at scenarios from most angles. Our biggest constraint now is the sale of our house, so I'm with you on this one. 

The waiting is incredibly hard. Our wait was the longest 4 months of my life.

We are getting closer to our move now and after our recent activation trip am confident that this is the right thing to do. I felt like I was home.

@BlueBaboon. I also find that all South Africa's negatives seem more exaggerated than normal. I do try and be mindful about not being negative about SA in front of family and friends as I find people get upset, understandably so. We try and talk about our why being a moving towards opportunity, safety and adventure, rather than a running away from anything. This results in a more positive mindset and I find, positive response from others.

Edited by Husky
Addition
  • Like 1

Holding both thumbs for you two!

If you can get a good price for your unit now, do it. Rather than wait and get a bad price and run into the timing problems you mentioned. As far as I know the problem with selling your house before you have a visa is for people who would not have moved if not for the visa, and you want to move anyway.

All the best.

So last week we talked to 4 agents about selling, listened to them go on about sole mandate and how it's better for us, and how they don't allow open mandates. Explained to them that it's a dule mandate or no mandate and suddenly they are ok with it. 

Thursday got someone in to help wash walls and windows, I normallydo the housework, but I hate windows. This weekend was spend fixing up and painting, getting the place ready for sale. And we signed and send of the mandated to the 2 agents we choose on Sunday night. This morning at 8 one of them called, thanks for signing he is bringing someone over tonight... What ! The place is not ready, so we moved it to tomorrow. The other agent called and he will bring 2 couples on Wednesday.

The for sale sign isn't even up jet and we have 3 people coming over, this is going allot faster then panned. So today I'm doing the final painting and we need to move all the "donation boxes" out the house and get the place looking like a home and not a diy workshop. Ow and somewhere i need to convince SARS that yes i only worked 23 days in the last tax year, and yes this is me despite the new surname! :censored: useless SARS is insisting i do it at a branch, they need fingerprinting to prove identity!

So yes crazy week ahead, better get started.

• Like 1

I know the feeling again haha, we put our flat up for sale with a sole mandate to the lady who sold us the flat just over a year ago as we were really happy with her. Her boss came and took photos and they posted the ad on the net, a person came that same evening to view and then put in an offer the next week. needless to say we are still waiting for the sale to go through, the couple to get bond approval.... (this has gone on for over a month now, lawyers are involved for breach of contract etc,) I pray that the sale of your place will be quick and painless with no time wasters! We have had show days in between this time with only a few people coming to look. We aren't super stressed as we still don't have our visa so we are happy to wait it out and only when the visa is approved will we step up a gear and possibly drop the price to get a quicker sale.

Good luck with the sale! hope you get the perfect buyer and price.

@BlueBaboon Thanks. Hope your stuff clears and that everything works out well.

we are not too worried about it selling soon, if it sells now, bonus we get to save more. If it only sells later (so long as its gone by Feb, assuming we have VISA's then) then we don't have to live with my parents for too long. It's been 10 years since I last lived with them and I have grown to like my own space... So, for now, its a win win. 

• Like 1

Ah..good luck with all the prep work. I sincerely hope your sale is a smooth one, that would be nice :) 

and still holding both thumbs (and sitting on my tail) for your visas to come through!

• Like 1

HI Guys, Just got the call this morning from our Agent 189 Granted :) eeeeekkkkkkk Pajama dancing! now to accelerate the sale of the flat and get the movers quotes Eeeeek so much of excitedness hahah don't know how im gona get through this work day hahah

• Like 3

That is great, congrats!!!! That was a rather fast grant.

We met with 4 movers now, Execumove, Croen, Bryton and Baylies. Don't lie Baylies very much, think we got a did agent, she didn't sound like she knew whet she was talking about. But the others we are happy with, just waiting for there quotes then we will decide. 

Let us know how your moving and selling goes.

• Like 1

Well after hurry up and wait all of a sardine things are cooking with gas now :o.

I sent my CV off to all the Engineering companies I could find in Tasmania, and woke this morning to one asking for a skype interview as they are keen to discuss a position for me in their Hobart office. So Monday its on like a scone.

Im kinda hoping that they only need me in a few months but I suppose a Job takes precedence and will go whenever they need me, leaving the wifey to sell and move etc. (Jumping the gun here a bit I know, I need to land the job first).

Anywhooo hope you hear something about your Visa soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We signed an Offer to purchase on our house this weekend, now we just need to wait and see if the bond gets approved. And then be ready to move out end September. 

It has been exactly (to the day) 4 years after the deed was transferred into our name. And it hit us, just how much have changed in the last 4 years. Our entire "plan" and "where do we ewant to be in 5 years?" (you know that stupid interview question) have been turned upside down. Initially, when I started working 4 years ago the plan was to get XP and next year apply for my ECSA accreditation as a professional engineer, but now, well hopefully next year I can join Engineers Australia and start applying for positions in Auz.

Selling the house also made the move to Auz feel more real, it's a bit scary and so exciting at the same time. I just wish we had the VISA. We are going to sort and pack things so that when we get the VISA it is easy to know this box goes to Auz, so it needs to be cleaned ect, and this one we need to sell and get rid of. If we had the VISa it would be simpler, this one goes to Auz and this goes away. Everyone also keeps asking when are you planning on moving, how long will you be at your parents and the honest answer is we don't know. 

We got an invite to a friends wedding next year, and again we don't know if we will be in the country then or not... I know its the same problem everyone in LIMBO has, so yes chin up. 

Edited by Mara
changed "dead" to "deed", still chuckling at "dead" transfer!
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Update time, I'm on "strike" and decided I'm taking the rest of the day off, so now is the perfect time for a shot update. WE GOT our VISA, whoop whoop! So on the Monday we signed the OTP on our house and on that same Friday we got the grant email. Best news ever.

Since then we have been packing and selling everything. It feels good to be moving in a definite direction, and not having to plan for 500 different what-ifs anymore. The plan, move to PTA, live there for 5/6 months, move to Melbourne and stay there for 5 odd months. Then hop in a caravan and see the rest of Australia before we finally settle down and ship our stuff next year November. This is going to be a grand adventure.

Ok, so the house in 90% packed and we are moving out on Wednesday. It is a very strange, almost sad feeling knowing that allot of what we packed will stay in a box for the next year. The last week has been very emotional, selling a lot of stuff and slowly seeing how out home turns back into just a house, every picture or little piece of decoration we pack up makes the house feel less and less like ours. And the worst part is all our friends, we are only moving to PTA, its less than an hours drive but they are acting like it is the end and they will never see us again. comments like "its good that you're moving, gives us time to get used to the idea that you will be gone" or "awww this is our last XXX together" sucks. Didn't think we would hear then just yet. I keep trying to focus on the good and the now but constantly remember that this is our last X and that will be our last Y...

Makes me want to hop on the plain and skip all the lasts, it is taking all the "fun" out of things. Why can't people just enjoy the braai we are at rather than pointing out it will be the last one, besides there is nothing stopping us braaing in PTA. 

• Like 3

Big hug. It's tough. I think most people are in denial about their friends leaving, until they see something happening, like the house emptying, and then suddenly all the circuits fire up: ALARM! This is not a drill, repeat, this is not a drill!

I certainly don't envy what is essentially a 5-6 month long moving process that you're going through. But I think you will be so relieved when you finally get here, that it might make you happier than you would otherwise have been? I can also 100% confirm that while your RSA friends are getting sad about your departure, your Australian friends are getting all the more exited about you arrival!

Baie Sterkte! Immigrasie is nie vir sissies nie - gelukkig is jy nie een nie, né!

• Like 2

@Fidjet that is wonderful news... VISA... Good stuff! Good luck with the rest of your journey...

Thanks, @Mara , need all the luck and patience I can get. 

@RedPanda but I am a sissie, of altans dis wat my boetie se. ;-P 

• Haha 1

Super happy for you on the Visa! Congratulations!

• 2 months later...

Small update time, at this stage the small steps mean allot. We opened a bank account with NAB and now we can start moving money across.  Think people are getting used to us living in PTA and guess what we are still active in the JHB social life, whaw who would have guessed. One friend has decided to "go cold turkey and cut you guys of now, rather than get used to you in PTA and then have you guys completely disappear next year" His words not mine, people are special!

Live in Pretoria is fine, we fit in and despite the insane heat, we are happy here. we share our room with 3 big deep freezers and we have measured our room is on average 2' hotter then the rest of the house and PTA is about 3" hotter then JHB, so we are struggling with the heat. Beginning to think our timing is all wrong, we should here in Winter and then fly over to spend summer in Melbourne, not spend summer in PTA and then fly to get the start of autumn and winter in Melbourne. -_-

We are still trying to get my husbands bakkie sold, will probably take the pathetically low price the dealers are willing to offer us this weekend. We have managed to negotiate with them and at least now it pays itself off with some small change left over. It makes us so mad, she is in damn good condition and similar bakkies with more milage gest sold for about R100k more then what they are willing to sell her to us "no we probably won't be able to sell her for much more anyway" what do they think we are morons and we haven't even bothered looking in there own storeroom . :censored: Anyway, we need to sell her now since the licence will expire end of the month, and at least we will not be owing anything more on her. 

We are well into "silly season" with way too many bday parties and now the Xmas parties are also starting, loving seeing everyone an spending time with them. My 30th was a massive success, despite some hail in the middle and a mad dash to try and get cars undercover. We have a photo of me and 4 other soaking wet, and since it was a costume party imagine runny makeup and for me a wet white shirt. I never wair white, but the one time I do it will bucket down. Murphy. :glare:

In other news, I have a job interview this afternoon. I have been looking for work now from December 2015 (2 years) and in September when we got the VISA decided, I'll stop looking and not work in SA again. And last week out of the blue someone calls me, we got your number from so and so who got it from Peter (Guy I worked with 2 years ago) he said you are looking for work and would be interested in the position we have on offer. I told them we are leaving Sa in March and they said, that's no problem the need someone urgently and I come highly recommended... So now I have an interview. Stranges thing is it is for an SA company currently working with an Australian company to build foundries in Indonesia, and they might (here's hoping) be willing to let me work for them remotely when we are in Aus. 

Thas about all, for now, can't wait for March so that we can start shuffling things around and get ready to fly. There is so much to do but we cant do any of it now, so now we wait knowing that soon there will be a crazy mad rush of activity. We are spending the time wisely doing all the things we always threatened to do. And spending a lot of time with friends, its actually making me look at SA with Graduation goggles, and wish we didn't have to leave. I'm not ready for the goodbyes, playing ostrich with those for now. 

• Like 2